WAG Need happy stories - Bar changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tigtimes

Proud Parent
So per usual this time of year some skill goes south for awhile. Need some happy stories of bar changes that disappeared then reappeared. Seems the overshoot is missing, maybe it the cold weather . (Really though perhaps due to fear after fall combined with growth). .... been at this long enough not to ask a thing. What happens in level 9 if you don’t have one? you know I really can’t ask that question !

Level 9 bars = no joke. My DD has just last week completed her level 9 entire bars routine. It still is not pretty but she is working daily and is excited. Thru the entire summer, her pak came and went. She has always been behind on the bars. As she approaches her teenage years she is becoming stronger and carrying more muscle. This seems to be helping her on bars.

Her coach told me that the plan was hopefully she continues to progress and will have the routine ready for the first meet, if not she will compete her level 8 routine but add the double back dismount and hope for anything between a 7-8 as a score.

I would be more than happy to share her routine from her first mock meet, second time getting thru the routine, if you can to see it.

I concur L9 bars is when it gets real. Not sure about the start value with not having an overshoot in the routine.

This will be my DD's second season of L9; she'll have a lower start value than she did this previous season due to a gym switch (a very welcomed change).
She's been unable to break a bad habit with her giant over the last 6 months so no giant this year in her routine same with a blind change due her timing is off. DD even changed from a pak to a bail in July for safety - while she made the pak release every time; her feet were so close to hitting the high bar. Luckily she is a kid who can do stalders both back/front well until she gets the hang of learning a straddle giant. I wished my DD would have spent more time in the lower levels instead of going from L4-L9/Hopes in four years.

Going into the upcoming season we focus on purely having fun and making memories because the gymnastics will fade one day.

If the bail was the only release move in the routine, leaving it out means the gymnast is looking at the best a 8.7-9.0 start value(depending on bonus in routine) because they are missing 2 special requirements - 2 bar changes and min 1 B flight. It's fairly common to see low start values on level 9 and 10 bars, especially early in the season, but it's very gym specific on what a coach may allow a kid to compete.

the bail was the only release move in the routine, leaving it out means the gymnast is looking at the best a 8.7-9.0 start

I know she is doing something from low bar to a high bar --toe on something (I can’t remember what she calls it).

So just a general question I know coach wants bail to handstand. Is that a different value than one not to handstand ? Thanks for the input. I am in the dark with it all and really just curious how it all works.

I know she is doing something from low bar to a high bar --toe on something (I can’t remember what she calls it).

So just a general question I know coach wants bail to handstand. Is that a different value than one not to handstand ? Thanks for the input. I am in the dark with it all and really just curious how it all works.
Having the toe hecht gives her a min B flight so increases her start value by 0.5. So 9.5 if she has her bonus from other connecting skills, down to 9.2 for no bonus. Every coach wants the bail to eventually go to handstand, it's a higher value and can be used to connect skills.(goal might be connecting the bail to toe hecht for bonus) That higher value is not necessary for level 9(bail can be a B, C or D depending on if it comes from and/or ends in handstand), coach could just be pushing the goal for now and may allow a less than handstand one once season comes. But again, every coach has their own goals and standards for competition.

Level 9 bars = no joke. My DD has just last week completed her level 9 entire bars routine. It still is not pretty but she is working daily and is excited. Thru the entire summer, her pak came and went. She has always been behind on the bars. As she approaches her teenage years she is becoming stronger and carrying more muscle. This seems to be helping her on bars.

Her coach told me that the plan was hopefully she continues to progress and will have the routine ready for the first meet, if not she will compete her level 8 routine but add the double back dismount and hope for anything between a 7-8 as a score.

I would be more than happy to share her routine from her first mock meet, second time getting thru the routine, if you can to see it.
You are not kidding. My daughter is also doing the pak. And grew. And filled out a lot. For her first meet, I think she is just going to do the pak out of a cast. We will probably be thrilled if she even gets a 7. It is so hard.

Love the video she looks great--you can see all the potential in that routine! I cant wait to get some good routine videos we have only had our in house meet but the views from the waiting room stink.

I couldn't agree with everyone more. I will share. Please be nice. Maybe a video will get the chalkbucket back to its old chatty ways.

This is my daughter’s same routine for 9. She may not do the freehip handstand into the pak at her first meet because, well, she might kill herself. :D I think your daughter looks great for just before the season!! Good for her!

So per usual this time of year some skill goes south for awhile. Need some happy stories of bar changes that disappeared then reappeared. Seems the overshoot is missing, maybe it the cold weather . (Really though perhaps due to fear after fall combined with growth). .... been at this long enough not to ask a thing. What happens in level 9 if you don’t have one? you know I really can’t ask that question !
My daughter never made an overshoot in competition, level 9 was incredibly painful, she was at a gym a short time that could not teach anything else. Moved gyms, got her pak and hasn't looked back since. Her other events were strong and she was always good at bars, once she got her pak the next year she moved to level 10 but it took her about 2 years to place on bars again. Bars is the hardest event for level 9-10, even for those with strong fundamentals.

L9 bars is just a killer. Mine scored in the 9.4-9.5 range in L8. As a first year L9, bars had a sv of 9.2 because she had no LA turn. She scored between 7.2 - 7.9. This year as 2nd year L9 isn't looking much better. She starting at a 9.3 and still no LA turn. She was working the toe shoot at the beginning of the summer, but her coach said too many deductions in that and to focus on the swing 1/2 turn. Now that it looks like that isn't happening, I really wish she had focused on the toe shoot because at least she could do it and may have had time to clean it up.

No advice, but a few words to help put it in perspective. All your gymnasts are doing an AMAZING job! The skills the US JO kids are doing are so far beyond most other countries.

We were given a run down on the latest level 10 statistics in Australia. Only 8% of level, 10’s were doing a High Bar to low bar release in their routines and 0% of Level 10’s had a single bar release in their routines. Yiu gymnasts, gyms and coaches are all doing phenomenal bar work with non elite gymnasts.

It sounds like a lot of our girls are in the same place mentally and physically this time of year. My dd is a new level 9 this year and her biggest challenges with bars are her pirouette on the high bar into her bail and then holding her feet up on the kip afterward.

She doesn’t always make her cast handstand all the way up on the high bar because she gets worried she is going to cast over. Either way, if you are short or cast over, that pirouette isn’t going to happen!

I also have to say that it’s is funny how she worked so hard to get her giants and perfect them over the years and now she isn’t even doing them in her routine! Level 9 bars is definitely a different kind of animal and it is great that there are so many different ways to capitalize on each gymnast’s strengths to get the job done.

We were given a run down on the latest level 10 statistics in Australia. Only 8% of level, 10’s were doing a High Bar to low bar release in their routines and 0% of Level 10’s had a single bar release in their routines. Yiu gymnasts, gyms and coaches are all doing phenomenal bar work with non elite gymnasts.

Thank you for the above. The standard is so high here that for those kids not at super gyms or regions with selections of excellent gyms and coaches it often seems like a defeat to not have the skills. Any kid that makes to to 9 I feel is a talent no matter what combination that they are (or are not) doing.

Thanks again to all for helping keep in real in my mind, the struggle this time of year is an exhausting one to parent - even when you keep your words and thoughts to yourself.

No advice, but a few words to help put it in perspective. All your gymnasts are doing an AMAZING job! The skills the US JO kids are doing are so far beyond most other countries.

I second that! We can only dream of a situation where gymnasts who are competing "just for fun" and not aiming to become elite would do any kind of bar releases at competition. Heck, if even all of the National Team gymnasts had single bar releases we would be beyond thrilled....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back