need help on my bhs tuck...!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

pure_gymnast

ok so i have been stuck on this skill for quite some time now... i can do the r-off bhs tuck just fine on the ski and rod floor just not on the normal one! i tend to get all squishy and nervous so the floor takes all my power... its starting to make me angry and im getting really discouraged. andy suggestions on how to have a successfull tuck?? thanks! your comments are greatly appreciated!

Try doing RO, back handspring timers with a spotter. As the spotter catches you, you can tuck your legs into your chest. Make sure your arms are by your ears on the timer. Try doing a conditioning drill, which is standing tuck jumps in a row trying to get a good rebound, not a jump. You need to "punch" the floor with your feet. Always have your arms up going into saltos. Reaching down to grab your legs impedes your rotation. Your legs will become much stronger practicing tumbling on the floor exercise. Trampolines and Tumbl-Traks are great for learning orientation and timing, but tumbling on the floor is the real deal that helps build the muscle strength needed.

Take a deep breath and try not to get annoyed (I know, its easier said than done :).

If you can do this, put a mat in your pit so that its backed onto the floor, then do your roundoff on the floor but land in the pit. You just have to practise building up your confidence- sometimes its better just to go rather than agitate over it, if you get what I mean! Good luck!

P.S. what is a ski floor? Never heard of that before.

Take a deep breath and try not to get annoyed (I know, its easier said than done :).

If you can do this, put a mat in your pit so that its backed onto the floor, then do your roundoff on the floor but land in the pit. You just have to practise building up your confidence- sometimes its better just to go rather than agitate over it, if you get what I mean! Good luck!

P.S. what is a ski floor? Never heard of that before.
just wanted you to know that today at gymnastics... I DID A HUGE TUCK!!! i was soooo excited! thanks to all the suggestions! :)
the ski floor is just like the rod floor except it gives you more power and its bouncier too. but it breaks all the time so the gym is constantly replacing the skiis... but its waaay fun to tumble on!!!!!! lol....

i would just try to make sure you set really high.
it sounds like you can do it really good on the rod/ski floor...just don't get intemidated by the real floor and just go for it!!
i used to have that same problem...i fixed it by not tumbling from the corners of the floor.
i would just tumble in the "stips" and not go from the diagonal so it felt like the rod floor.
i hope that helps and good luck :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back