Parents Need help with Level 9 daughter's chronic groin issue

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just stumbled on this website and forum, so bear with me if I am not posting correctly. My wife and I are desparately looking for help for our daughter, a gymnast for 10 years. For the last 4 years, she has battled a recurring groin issue. Its not a simple groin muscle pull. I have had those. This is different, and seems to be in the adductor/groin area. She will occasionally get a shooting pain on moves where she pulls her legs together quickly, or has to swing her legs around. Round off. Cast to handstand. Shoot over. Skills like that. The odd thing is that she will be fine for months, do a certain move, then wham, sharp pain. She has to stop. The pain is pretty short lived. It may even be ok by the next day. The problem is that she never knows when it will happen again. This has ruled her gymnastics life for the last 4 years and it is just hard to watch. She is always worried about it happening. Like all gymnasts, she has had other injuries, but they have been identified and treated, and she is back. I cant even call this an injury, its something chronic. Thats the frustrating part. We have recently seen an orthopedic, PT, chiropractor, on an on. Nobody can seem to absolutely identify what it is, and even better, how to fix it. This is keeping her from fully enjoying the sport she so loves, and as parents, I am sure you can imagine how hard that is to watch. Looking for any help or those that have dealt with something similar.

This is so interesting. I could have written your post, right down to the specific skills that causes the pull. That snapping your legs together action causes the stabbing pain that brings tears to her eyes. She is fine by the next practice or even later that same practice sometimes, but it totally freaks her out. It has also happened at meets and she get so upset. We too have been to dr after dr with no real answer. She is a soon to be 16 year old and she competed level 9 this year. This has been happening since level 4. I too am so frustrated. It effects everything. Round off on the Yurchenko, backhandspring backhandpring on beam, floor ugh!, bars casts.
I think it might all stem from my dd's hips. We went to a chriopractor and her pelvis and hips always need to be adjusted. I think she is so flexible in that area she has a lot of play in her hips and that is what causes the adductor issues. Any similarilty with your dd?

I can only guess..........

I think kids sometimes get more flexibility through a muscle group than is supported by that group's strength development. So my guess is that she/they are going to a point in the range of motion, easily allowed by the muscle's flexibility, where very little strength is available to keep the joint and all the tissues aligned and comfortable.

I've had kids who suffered the same pain. I had them work on *gently* moving through the ROM with a teensy bit of resistance, and worked with them on reducing the amount of "split" they used on round offs and bhs step outs. It seemed to help........

Gymmom14 - Is there a way we can communicate back and forth outside the thread. Our daughters' condition, and all of our frustrations, sound exactly the same. If I click on your name (gymmom14), will you get a direct email from me? Thanks.

You can send a personal message. Click on the username and a little drop down menu appears. One option is send a message. Do not put your email address in the thread as spam bots pick them up, and that is never good.

This sounds similar to a problem I've been having, only mine is really there all the time. I used to be quite flexible in the adductors but now on the left side if I even sit cross-legged I feel a stinging, pulling sensation. At the gym it usually gets me during the first few round-offs and then eases off a bit. I'm not sure when it started, but it may have been one time I tried to jump my feet together from straddle stand, or at least that may have exacerbated it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back