WAG Need help with ways to anchor uneven bars without drilling into the floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Looking for ways to accomplish this for a meet this winter. I have heard of water weights but cannot find any info on them or how much weight needs to be to hold the corners down.

We tried to weigh our bar frame down with water the first year we had a meet outside of our gym but it required a lot of water and got messy. Second year we had some steel blocks made that could be stacked accordingly. They seemed to work pretty well. Transportation is tricky though!

If you are hosting a meet then you better contact AAI and ask them specifically what amount of weight they require. This is something you don't want to mess with and for legal reasons you need to do what the company specifies.

We use water barrels for our state championships as well as nationals. we use the weighted system for WAG bars, and MAG HB and rings.
There is a metal (steel?) structure that the mats sit on and it attaches to 4 pallets, which is what the cabels hook on to, and there are 4 (or maybe 6)barrels on each Pallet.
Each barrel is maybe 80-100cm tall and maybe 40-50cm diameter (I'm hopeless at estimating sizes). I can't remember how much water each barrel holds but we have to fill them with a fire hose and it takes a couple of hours to do the whole lot for one apparatus.
This works quite well and we have everyone right up to senior international compete on the apparatus set up this way.
You can see the set up in these videos (large blue square structures) Victorian Gymnastics Championships 2012 Nick Silagy vault - YouTube, Victorian Gymnastics Championships 2012 Great Rings routine - YouTube, olivia vivian ub - YouTube

Hope this helps!

I was at a meet once that had bars weighted with water, and despite giant jugs of water, the bars were still shaking for the L10s and elites. The meet ended with two men standing on top of the water jugs on each corner for the last session.

Seriously though, I would contact your equipment manufacturer and see what they recommend.

The set up linked in the Australian videos works well in my experience, but I too have been to meets with smaller water things that did not work as well.

But I really haven't been to an outside meet in forever that wasn't set up by an equipment company. Are you undrilling your bars from your gym and bringing them to another venue that doesn't have floor plates?

Looking for ways to accomplish this for a meet this winter. I have heard of water weights but cannot find any info on them or how much weight needs to be to hold the corners down.

if you are in America, you must use a set of free standing bars made by a manufacturer for meets. if you are hosting a meet that is not sanctioned, and decide to jerry rig something, and someone get hurts, well...say good bye to everything that you have ever owned.

We have AAI Elites with space savers and the event will be at a gymnasium without anchors or the ability to anchor. I was trying to see what weights people have used in their events

space savers mean nothing. you need a free standing rig to attach the bars to. don't you understand what i'm talking about? Hookani posted the links above. do you have a rig? you can't talk about weights unless you have the rig. capiche?

While on this topic.
Our club dont own our own local and we dont get any permits to drill in the floor.
We have been thinking about buying one of these:
Club uneven bars stand-alone - Janssen-Fritsen

But not sure how safe it is and if it would work for us. We dont want to buy it and find out that it isn't safe to use.
Using water barrels and other solutions wont work. Its to much work for 2-3 hours practice. We need to install and take all the equip away during that time frame.

I think they are only for little kids but no idea.
Can you not install a set of bars that are attached to the wall and pull out?

While on this topic.
Our club dont own our own local and we dont get any permits to drill in the floor.

But not sure how safe it is and if it would work for us. We dont want to buy it and find out that it isn't safe to use.
Using water barrels and other solutions wont work. Its to much work for 2-3 hours practice. We need to install and take all the equip away during that time frame.

there is more technical info here

'Club' Uneven Bars Stand-Alone

"Can you not install a set of bars that are attached to the wall and pull out?"

Not sure what you mean by that. Havent seen anything like it on sale here in Europe.

While on this topic.

no. those can not be used for competition. but JF also makes a free standing rig. it's on their site somewhere.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back