WAG Need ideas for creative awards.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I always think it is better to reward character and behavior within the team, rather than skills. They are rewarded for skill execution at meets: in their scores from the judges and placement.

Most of these have probably already been said but:
Perfect (Great) Attendance
Most Improved
Most Inspirational
Comeback Queen (from an injury, for example)
Most Consistent
Team Spirit
Always Prepared (for the one with extra grips, and hair clips, and tape - always has whatever she and her teammates need)
The "Go Getter" (always ready to try new things)
Most Persistent (overcoming fears, for example; working hard to get that challenging skill)
Most Supportive (to teammates)

Best sportsmanship, or teammate

bounce back award ( fir a girl who may have struggled with a fall or falls but always bounced back in other events/ meets)

I've not read all replies yet, but we do 'little miss' awards eg 'little miss chatterbox' or 'little miss pointy toes' we came up with one for each gymnast (over 30) it was hard to think of that many but fun at the same time!

We did some "funny" ones the years we did them…
Here are some of them:
Cartwheel queen - she cartwheeled all the time
First Aid Station - tended to get cut or slightly "injured" frequently
Comeback kid - came back from a series of injuries and mental blocks to Qualify for Y Nationals
Perfectionist - would ASK for corrections and keep trying until it was perfect
Strong and Silent - (not the same as quietest or anything like that) she would just concentrate on what she was doing… only chatting on breaks
Ace in the Hole - She was the one that would anchor the team (especially on Beam)
Bright Idea - Always coming up with suggestions that she wanted the coach to let them try
Team Player - Cheered her teammates on, etc
Quick Start - Moved quickly thru rec and onto team
Tenacity - Never gave up, even thru major blocks
Diamond in the Rough - Just needs a little polish to dominate
Dive Right In - Just took to it all very quickly
Bar Monkey - Would be on Bars all day if you let her
Skyscraper - She had a major growth spurt in one season (CL to AM competition leo from beginning of the season to the end)
Miss Congeniality - Super Nice to everyone
Toe in the Water - Slow to try new things… methodical… must do all drills and lead up skills for a while before moving on to the next
Handstand Award - loved handstand contests
GOOOOOOOAL - This girl had goals… Starting with Y National Champion at her level (goal met) and including the 2016 Olympics.
Choreographer - the girl loved to make up little routines and always wanted to showcase them :)
Most Enthusiastic
After Hours - She always wanted to stay after practice to try "it one more time"
Beam Queen - Loved Beam

We did some "funny" ones the years we did them…
Here are some of them:
Cartwheel queen - she cartwheeled all the time
First Aid Station - tended to get cut or slightly "injured" frequently
Comeback kid - came back from a series of injuries and mental blocks to Qualify for Y Nationals
Perfectionist - would ASK for corrections and keep trying until it was perfect
Strong and Silent - (not the same as quietest or anything like that) she would just concentrate on what she was doing… only chatting on breaks
Ace in the Hole - She was the one that would anchor the team (especially on Beam)
Bright Idea - Always coming up with suggestions that she wanted the coach to let them try
Team Player - Cheered her teammates on, etc
Quick Start - Moved quickly thru rec and onto team
Tenacity - Never gave up, even thru major blocks
Diamond in the Rough - Just needs a little polish to dominate
Dive Right In - Just took to it all very quickly
Bar Monkey - Would be on Bars all day if you let her
Skyscraper - She had a major growth spurt in one season (CL to AM competition leo from beginning of the season to the end)
Miss Congeniality - Super Nice to everyone
Toe in the Water - Slow to try new things… methodical… must do all drills and lead up skills for a while before moving on to the next
Handstand Award - loved handstand contests
GOOOOOOOAL - This girl had goals… Starting with Y National Champion at her level (goal met) and including the 2016 Olympics.
Choreographer - the girl loved to make up little routines and always wanted to showcase them :)
Most Enthusiastic
After Hours - She always wanted to stay after practice to try "it one more time"
Beam Queen - Loved Beam
Beam Queen...highly sought after title in my daughter's team

I am picturing a girl on DD's team. She would win a Laser Focus award. She is SO intent on what she's doing. And watching her face when she's receiving a correction from a coach, a freight train could go through the gym, and I don't think she'd notice.

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!! I knew I'd get a million great ideas, so thank you so much!

I have another question: should I make one award for each girl? Or should I make it so that girls can win more than one award, but they'll get at least one?

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!! I knew I'd get a million great ideas, so thank you so much!

I have another question: should I make one award for each girl? Or should I make it so that girls can win more than one award, but they'll get at least one?
I would leave it at one per. The only way I would do differently is if there were one silly award for each girl, and then one-two serious awards (most improved and gymnast of the year) that would go to whomever you decide. Then those few awards would be special.

I would keep it equal, one per girl. Trust me.
Omg this. I dont know if you r married or not, but if you someday possibly get blessed with a daughter....then u will understand. Hah!!!
Eta: if you truly had someone u felt deserved something special, then you could always give one child that extra award. But I wouldn't go there personally....one year it happened at my child's gym and the girls really were upset about it (not mine, she could have cared less, but she was younger and not in the tween years). My 2 cents fwiw...

Tardy to the party (someone who is late to practice)

Perfect attendance (someone who is always there)

Rubber band award (most flexible)

Rollie Pollie (for the gymnast who rolls/cartwheels everywhere)

Here are some candy award ideas...

Sour patch (for those who are sour then sweet)

M & M award (someone is is marvelous and magnificent)

Extra (give them gum-for going the extra mile)

3 musketeers (give to 3 bff's)

Sweet tart (for a super sweet girl)

Score bar (for the highest aa score for the season/event)

Starburst (for the girl who was a shining star this season)

Airheads (self explanatory)

Goldfish crackers (for the girl that "just kept swimming")

Tic tac (for the girl that was like a breath of fresh air)

Chocolate cover peanuts (for the nut of the group)

Skittles (for the girl that was a rainbow on a rainy day)

Here are a few more (afterthoughts)

Snickers candy bar (for the giggle box)

Lifesavers (for the girl that is reliable)

Milky Way (for the girl whose work is outta this world)

Mr. Goodbar (for the girl that is a GOOD friend to all)

Almond joy (for the girl that is a joy to coach)

Jolly rancher (for the happiest girl)

Mentos (for the best mentor)

Dove chocolate (for the girl that is peaceful and calm)

Potato chips (for the girl that's always willing to "chip" in)

Fun dip (for the girl that is fun to hang out with/coach)

I would be very careful to keep it positive not just funny. "Tardy to the Party" is often beyond her control. Airheads implies stupidity. Just be careful. Some girls are sensitive.

I second this. The age of the girls comes into it too when you start with jokey categories. If it is a general joke and they laugh back with you in the gym then you are probably safe - but if they are still quite young then just be prepared. I've seen the hurt caused by a young girl given a sarcastic award about timekeeping - funnily enough at 10 they can't control when Mum finishes work and are probably embarrassed about having to sidle in late anyway.

Knowing your girls well though you could come up with something positive for each of them.

I second this. The age of the girls comes into it too when you start with jokey categories. If it is a general joke and they laugh back with you in the gym then you are probably safe - but if they are still quite young then just be prepared. I've seen the hurt caused by a young girl given a sarcastic award about timekeeping - funnily enough at 10 they can't control when Mum finishes work and are probably embarrassed about having to sidle in late anyway.

Knowing your girls well though you could come up with something positive for each of them.

Absolutely! Depends on the girls! My dd is upper level optionals, so it would be age appropriate. But if you are talking about littles, you obviously would need to adjust my suggestions to meet the needs of the children you coach.

IMO - If there are 12 girls, come up w/ 3 awards that are for definite and clear good things that are "earned" (extra effort, most improved, MVP, role model) and only give out those. Don't make up awards so that everyone gets one and don't give out awards for something that is an innate talent (like flexibilty or strength). Girls easily see through awards that are given out just so everyone gets them anyways, and when you give out too many the ones who don't get one feel bad. I don't think any girl wants an award for anything other than something that is clearly positive and earned. Would you?

I
IMO - If there are 12 girls, come up w/ 3 awards that are for definite and clear good things that are "earned" (extra effort, most improved, MVP, role model) and only give out those. Don't make up awards so that everyone gets one and don't give out awards for something that is an innate talent (like flexibilty or strength). Girls easily see through awards that are given out just so everyone gets them anyways, and when you give out too many the ones who don't get one feel bad. I don't think any girl wants an award for anything other than something that is clearly positive and earned. Would you?
I respectfully disagree. I think if you know your kid's well, you can truly find a well deserved award for each one of them. At my dd's awards night, the child who literally got a standing o from her peers when the award was announced was the child who got the "cheerleader" award....the child had more team spirit than anyone I had ever seen, and was supportive of everybody. She was not a regular on the podium but she always tried her best, and was so excited for her friends when they won. So, I do think there can be a meaningful award for everyone. It's all in how meaningful the coach makes it.:)

Is this for team banquet? Or a fun parent run lock in?

If team banquet, I like cut and dry type awards. Seeing that everyone should improve, and everyone should be a good team player....who is to say who deserves thy award more than another?

* I like academic awards...certificate for earning all As & Bs, ** a special something to go with it if you earned all As!
* a 36 club or a 37 club.
* Team member with most years at the club
* Team member competing the most years (regardless if the years were all of the same club)

I think you have to go one way or the other.... Either 1) ALL girls get one (and only one) "special recognition" award with the purpose of highlighting one standout quality that each girl brings such as focus, spirit, resilience, or helpfulness, OR 2) You have only 2-3 specific category awards and they go to girls who clearly and justifiably earned them, such as "most hit routines" or "most improved" or "best comeback" (like falling 5 times on first 2 events, but coming back to win the next two or something). Have a story ready that explains the reason for award. More objective. (Note: on 'most improved', make sure it isn't due to some obvious advantage such as being from the richest family who buys 5 privates a week when other girls don't have that option, or a girl invited to an extra class others aren't invited to... things like that...)

To me, the trouble comes when you have only a few coveted award categories that are completely subjective - like "most coachable", and it goes to the coach's pet, and "hardest worker" in a team where everyone is a very hard worker. That is a recipe for resentment.

I'd go with Option 1 - a unique award for each gymnast highlighting a particular stand-out attribute. Many great ideas above!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back