WAG Need ideas for creative awards.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When we first started doing team awards 2 years ago we discussed what to do about only a select few getting awards vs. everyone. We decided that while not every child needed an award, they all had demonstrated something during the season that was deserving of an award. I think our HC does a handful of awards with 2 or so girls getting each (Most improved on each event, highest score, a team leader award, not sure if there are others). I know I'm looking to do something this year more similar to what Aero is doing, awarding each girl for a character trait or something special she brings to the gym. Because really, the kids know who is the best on each event, who has improved the most, who gets the highest scores, etc.
Not sure about titles, but I was thinking abut doing something along the lines of encourager, teacher/helper, most diligent, perseverance, those kinds of things. But then you have kids who could get all of the above and others who you struggle to figure something out for, not because they don't have good qualities and attributes, but because they are harder to label clearly.
Personally, I would stay away from recognition for grades/academic achievement (unless a kid really went above and beyond academically in some sense, in which case she should be recognized). But for some kids, school is hard- be it due to family problems, learning differences, anxiety- you just never know. I struggled in school terribly due to severe anxiety issues, despite high test scores, and always felt like a let down to teachers who thought I was a terrible under performer. The gym was a space away from all of that, so whenever grades were brought up that anxiety bubbled to the surface in what was supposed to be a safer place. So as a coach, I let the kids take the lead on that. If they/their parents let me know they are a straight A student, won an academic award, did well on standardized tests I will of course congratulate them and encourage their continued academic success, but I don't bring it up, because you never know what a kids circumstances are outside of the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back