WAG Need quick rip help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know rips have been discussed many times. I am looking for advice for how to hobble by for a couple of days with a rip. My dd is a L4 and is not used to having to do bars with rips. She only practices 6 hours a week and in the past when she has had a rip, she has just skipped bars until it was healed. However, she has her state meet (AAU) this weekend and must do bar work with the rip, both during one more practice and at the meet. She does not deal well with this sort of pain (as in might really mess up her routine) because of it. Any tips on how to make it as easy and painless as possible? She also has very sweaty hands so tape does not stick and tends to make the rips worse when it bunches up. Is there any sort of glue or something that could be applied?

for the meet, and for practice, she can wear tape grips...the tape sticks to itself so I don't think she should have a problem...?

as for making the rip heel, we have used Preparation H cream.

We always used Preparation H also. Helps heel the rip and takes away the sting. She could put some on a bandaid, and then tape grips for work on bars.

preparation H helps to shrink them up. Can't wear that at practice or competition because it is sooooo greasy; but at other times, put it on. A tea bag has really helped my older DD; but my younger DD swears it stings too much. My kids only wear something on them at practice, other than that I let them get air and dry up. At practice we do tape; but it is first a kind that sticks to itself; but not the skin, then I cover that with athletic tape (because the first kind is kind of sticky and messes up their bars). Even really bad rips my kids have been back to bars within 2 days with tape on them and then with nothing in about 4 days. (though recently my 6 year old got a rip on her rip. oy)

My best known remedy = Hot (not too hot, though) tea bags to "deaden" the skin, then put vaseline or chapstick (or i think diaper cream and bag balm work as well) and a sock over it at night. Every night, until it heals.

And the biggy: MIND OVER MATTER. Rips are a part of gym. Competitive gymnasts need to learn how to deal with them as soon as possible. ...There is a great clip out there of Nastia pulling a chunk of skin off her hand and jumping right back on the bar. That's competitive gymnastics. :)

And the biggy: MIND OVER MATTER. Rips are a part of gym. Competitive gymnasts need to learn how to deal with them as soon as possible. ...There is a great clip out there of Nastia pulling a chunk of skin off her hand and jumping right back on the bar. That's competitive gymnastics. :)

This is true. Convincing dd this is true has been a challenge..... I just wish it were not the biggest meet of the year that she gets tested on it.

Just wanted to clarify... I dont expect a Level 4 to have the same toughness as Nastia. I'm just saying the sooner they accept that rips are a part of gym and they still have to do bars, the better off they will be and better they will handle rips.

No, diaper cream as soon as she is done bars and keep on overnight, and reapply next day. She could try tape grips, they tape around the rip and around the hand in kind of a grip looking thing. Coach would know way more about it than me!

Second skin spray. I can not say it enough. Ds's coach would not let him use tape grips one meet and it was a disaster. Nothing really helped until we did the spray and vit e on top of that. Hope she heals fast!

Tea bag, vitamin E at night. For practice/meet, we cover the rip with the padded blister band-aids and taps and then make tape grips for under her regular grips. Since your DD is level 4, she probably doesn't have regular grips yet. The tape grips should hold up long enough.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back