need serious help with level 8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shadow

Coach
ok... can anyone explain level 8 to me please? our head coach wants to move a level 7 to level 8 and the coach doesn't know any of the requirements or anything else. we haven't had a level 8 in our gym since i quit and that was about 4 or 5 years ago so im a little out of it when it comes to the technical stuff^^ is it kinda the same as it was then? i read the requirements on the USAG site; i just need to know what the ideal skills are for the events so i can get an idea of what she needs to work towards before the season starts. thanks!!

Vault: Work on tsukaharas or yurchenkos. A tucked is a 9.8 SV while a piked of either vault is a 10.0 SV.

Bars: Work on 1/2 pirouettes. Make sure to hold your feet at the end and finish your turn in handstand, its helps a lot. Get your casts and clear hips to handstand, it really counts now. Also, make sure you have at least somewhat decent giants in your routine. A layout flyaway will do for a dismount just fine.

Beam: If you don't have a series already, you need one with at least one flight skill in there. Most people do either back walkover back handspring or back handspring back handspring. You could also do cartwheel roundoff or front walkover bhs, but its a lot easier to do the backwards moving series' and they lead to more skills. Most people at this level do switch leaps now as well, so i'd work on those. A front tuck dismount would do just fine, but a round off or cartwheel into a back tuck would help out a lot in the future.

Floor: As you probably know, you need a two flip connection. You can either do this directly or indirectly connected. Directly can be done in many ways, such as these: (round off layout 1/2 front tuck/pike/layout, front hs front tuck/pike/layout directly into front tuck/pike/layout, round off back layout back tuck) Indirectly usually is only done like this: (front tuck stepout round off bhs back tuck/layout). Most level 8's have a backwards twist, up to a full. I did a 1/2, which like a full is worth a "B". You'll need a leap pass with a switch leap into another dance skill. Work on 1 1/2 and double turns.

Does your coach have the JO code of point? Since you seem to know the requirements from the USAG website, the Code of Point could really help you find the extra skills you need to fill your routines.

Good luck!

Does your coach have the JO code of point? Since you seem to know the requirements from the USAG website, the Code of Point could really help you find the extra skills you need to fill your routines.

Good luck!

we do have a code of points and i kinda looked at it but i could again^^ i guess i just needed clarification on the two flip connection on floor and bars. i do have another question... does a release move have to be in the bar routine? it wasn't listed in the requirements but it was a huge issue when i was level 8. i just want to make sure^^

You can choose either a release move (straddle backs & overshoot 1/2 to low bar are common) or a turning/twisting element (most girls use HS 1/2 pirouette) to fulfull that special requirement on bars.

ok, thanks everyone. i was confused on that part... now i know that we have a lot of work to do over the summer...

Vault: Work on tsukaharas or yurchenkos. A tucked is a 9.8 SV while a piked of either vault is a 10.0 SV.

Bars: Work on 1/2 pirouettes. Make sure to hold your feet at the end and finish your turn in handstand, its helps a lot. Get your casts and clear hips to handstand, it really counts now. Also, make sure you have at least somewhat decent giants in your routine. A layout flyaway will do for a dismount just fine.

Beam: If you don't have a series already, you need one with at least one flight skill in there. Most people do either back walkover back handspring or back handspring back handspring. You could also do cartwheel roundoff or front walkover bhs, but its a lot easier to do the backwards moving series' and they lead to more skills. Most people at this level do switch leaps now as well, so i'd work on those. A front tuck dismount would do just fine, but a round off or cartwheel into a back tuck would help out a lot in the future.

Floor: As you probably know, you need a two flip connection. You can either do this directly or indirectly connected. Directly can be done in many ways, such as these: (round off layout 1/2 front tuck/pike/layout, front hs front tuck/pike/layout directly into front tuck/pike/layout, round off back layout back tuck) Indirectly usually is only done like this: (front tuck stepout round off bhs back tuck/layout). Most level 8's have a backwards twist, up to a full. I did a 1/2, which like a full is worth a "B". You'll need a leap pass with a switch leap into another dance skill. Work on 1 1/2 and double turns.

Good luck!

please...i implore you...no yurchenkos unless you absolutely know what you're doing.

You're not too far away from a very successful gym and another gym with a few solid 9s and 10s. Why don't you call them and see if you can shadow (haha) one of their optional groups? You'll probably come away with more ideas from doing that than by reading lists of skills online.

I have been watching others at meets and getting ideas from there. i just want to clarify that this is not for me. i have competed for 11 years and i'm done with competition^^. this id for a girl at our gym who the coach wants to move up. sorry if there was any confusion there and sorry if there wasn't any confusion there!

Donno: don't worry! there is no way that this girl is ready for yurchenkos and i don't plan on having her try them anytime soon..

I'm aware you're a coach. You ask for drill suggestions and explanations of rules frequently, and observing at other gyms would be very useful in understanding requirements and in understanding how to teach certain skills.

I was a first year level 8 this season so here are some of the stuff in my routines if you need anymore ideas:

Vault: half-half (9.2 start value) or half-full (9.4 start value)

Bars: kip, freehip, straddle cut (or handstand half piroutte), squat on, kip, freehip, fly away half ( I think there may be a handstand requirement (that's what my coach said) but not all of the judges take it from the start value or even deduct for no having one)

Beam: backhandspring, backwalkover-backhandspring; full turn; split jump, beat jump- straddle jump; scale; I am also working cat leap switchleap; FT dismount

Floor: front through RO BHS BT; switch leap - chasse(sp)- leap; tuck jump full; backhandspring straddle jump; front pike; 1 1/2 turn; double stag-double stag

I think thats everything, hope it helped. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back