WAG Need some meet suggestions near New Jersey.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aero

Coach
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some ideas as to what meets I should try in my area. We're based out of New Jersey, so I'm looking for some competitions near my area. We've done meets in Pennsylvania, New York, and Connecticut. The time frame would be from February through April.

We've tried:
  • Reindeer Games, CT
  • Flower Festival, NY
  • Dalmatian Classic, PA
Have any of you been to some great meets in the Northeast? Let me know!

American Invitational, CT (January 27-29, so a little early)

Pink, PA

New Years Invite, MA

Starstruck, NJ

definitely a couple that I'm forgetting, I'll edit later.

Greater NY Invitational in Suffern, NY, which is just over the border from New Jersey. It's an early December meet in a large venue. That's all I can tell you. Familiar with the area not the meet.

Pink Invitational is a huge meet, you have to make sure to get entries in early as it's super competitive to get in. Lots of competition, big convention center, I think they even run a college meet in conjunction with it (at least they have in the past).
Parkettes Invitational is a pretty big meet as well, I think the fun in this one comes in that there are typically some top level 10s competing and an elite qualifier at some point during the weekend. It's at the end of January. I've heard mixed reviews about the actual quality of the meet, I think some sessions are held in the gym which can be a little crowded. It's also a rough weekend in terms of the chance of bad weather. It might have been last season that they canceled midway through the meet after trying to muscle through a massive snow storm.

A few other suggestions that haven't been mentioned yet:
Fantasia Classic, 2/25-2/26 @ Gymland, Hamilton, NJ (site of this year's NJ level 9/10 States)
Robin Cone Memorial Classic - held in December, in Middlesex NJ area
Rutgers sponsors a few meets per year to fund raise for their team. Not sure if it's too late for this season or not, but if you google Rutgers University Gymnastics Invitational Competitions, a list of their meets comes up. It's a nice facility and centrally located in NJ.
Christmas on The Chesapeake, Baltimore, MD, usually held in December. Not too far to travel from NJ and a fun meet.

Hope this helps!

Sorry, just saw that you needed Feb - April.
Tried to edit my post, but it wouldn't let let me?
North Stars March Madness 3/17

What about the Manhatten Classic - how is that one?? That might be a good option....have heard a bit about it that it is nice, but would love to hear from anyone here who has been!

Pink in Philly - do teams have to also raise $$ as part of the entry requirement? I have been trying to figure out if that one is more involved than just sending in the regular entry and entry fees.

To the OP - if you head south just a bit to the Hills Maryland Classic - that is a nice meet in a nice venue - a bigger meet with good competition and very well run.

I think you may have a tough time getting into meets this year, as February-April meets might be full already.

That being said, here is what is in CT in February:
All JO Levels/Xcel: Team Challenge @ WCSU, Danbury
Levels 3, 6-10 & Xcel: Valentine's Invitational, Farmington Valley Gymnastics
All JO Levels/Xcel: Chelsea Piers Winter Challenge Chelsea Piers - Stamford
All JO Levels/Xcel: February Flip @ Next Dimension - Trumbull

Both Manhattan Classic and Parkettes are end of January.

Depending on how far you want to go, I Love NY Cup is a a nice, well run meet in a good venue for viewing. Sweetheart Invitational is small but our compulsories have gone the last few years and I've heard good things. Likewise Florida in February -- small but well run. SFF also does Get Ready for States for compulsories later in the season. You might also check out Long Island Classic and Flip for a Cure. World Class Gymnastics in Albany has a compulsory meet in March that should also be well run and have room for entries.

I second the Pink suggestion. Yes, if your team pledges to raise at least $500 for breast cancer (Unite for HER is the name of the charity) you get to register earlier than those who don't. Some years the meet fills up during that early registration period, though it gets bigger every year so there's more and more space. It does fill up very quickly though (like in September) so whoever does your meet registration has to be really on the ball. It's well run and the kids have a blast! My only complaint is that, as it gets bigger, the awards get cheaper. I guess everything is donated so that the max amount of $ can go to Unite for Her, but it's a pricey meet to go to (expensive to register, expensive to stay, expensive to park, expensive to get in) and last year they just had those cheap-o stock medals and trophies with a pink ribbon sticker on them. Part of me thinks, "who cares?" but part of me feels like maybe they could charge just a couple extra bucks (at that point, what's a couple more bucks?) and return to the nice custom medals and trophies they had previously.

If you check out their website and look at the pictures, you'll get a feel for what a fun meet it is (except for grumpy long-time gym moms like me who want to grumble over the quality of the medals).

Fantasia Classic, 2/25-2/26 @ Gymland, Hamilton, NJ (site of this year's NJ level 9/10 States)
Rutgers sponsors a few meets per year to fund raise for their team. Not sure if it's too late for this season or not, but if you google Rutgers University Gymnastics Invitational Competitions, a list of their meets comes up. It's a nice facility and centrally located in NJ.
Christmas on The Chesapeake, Baltimore, MD, usually held in December. Not too far to travel from NJ and a fun meet.

Hope this helps!

This is a good list, we have been to all of them. You might still be able to get into Fantasia as that is late Feb.

I second the Pink suggestion. Yes, if your team pledges to raise at least $500 for breast cancer (Unite for HER is the name of the charity) you get to register earlier than those who don't. Some years the meet fills up during that early registration period, though it gets bigger every year so there's more and more space. It does fill up very quickly though (like in September) so whoever does your meet registration has to be really on the ball. It's well run and the kids have a blast! My only complaint is that, as it gets bigger, the awards get cheaper. I guess everything is donated so that the max amount of $ can go to Unite for Her, but it's a pricey meet to go to (expensive to register, expensive to stay, expensive to park, expensive to get in) and last year they just had those cheap-o stock medals and trophies with a pink ribbon sticker on them. Part of me thinks, "who cares?" but part of me feels like maybe they could charge just a couple extra bucks (at that point, what's a couple more bucks?) and return to the nice custom medals and trophies they had previously.

Bummed to hear the quality of their medals have gone down. I previously coached a team that attended this competition every other season and LOVED their medals in the past :(

Bummed to hear the quality of their medals have gone down. I previously coached a team that attended this competition every other season and LOVED their medals in the past :(
Glad I'm not the only one bothered by such things... ;)

Hope this helps!

We have been to all of these. I think Star Struck in AC ( next weekend) was suggested. Big meet, nice venue, nice leo gift. It's a favorite for my daughter, but always a disaster for me driving in the snow

Sorry for my delayed response to this thread, but thank you to all who have suggested meets!

I want to find a meet preferably in March or April. I have Xcel and JO optional kids, but no compulsories, so compulsory meet suggestions are no good. I'm currently looking into March Madness hosted by North Stars, but do you guys have any other suggestions for March or April meets in NJ, NY, CT, PA, DE, or MD?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back