NEED to get that silly beam cartwheel!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD's meet season will be over next weekend if she can't get her cartwheel this week. They have a meet in 3 weeks that she can only go in if she moves up to L5 (which is all she has wanted all season) and she has all the skills except that stupid cartwheel.

She would love to at least be able to say she moved up this season and did a meet as a level 5 (and the bigger girls won't comment any more about how she didn't make it this year)

She's been awesome repeating L4, but it's not getting her where she wants to be.

Thanks!
snowbound

Dumb question, but if she has all the skills except for the CW, what is the deduction for either a coach spotting her through the skill or her just leaving it out? It seems that she could still do well with one missing skill.

Seems a shame not to finish the season on a high note when we are talking about one skills. Have you asked the coaches about this. Especially as it is one meet not the whole season.

I know, it IS silly IMHO. I think the coaches made a big mistake in moving some of the other girls up that didn't have their kip. Most of them are also marginal on the CW as well. As the season wore on, they still didn't have it, and they told DD she had to have her CW, her Kip, and her vault before she could move up (I think they moved the other girls because they are older. Not that DD wasn't as mature, but a 9 YO in L5 doens't sound as strange as a 12 YO in L4) Now she got her kip (consistently) she can do the vault without the spot, although they always spot her, and it's just the doggone CW. I am going to ask the coach about it this afternoon. Wish me luck! I don't think DD would be upset even if she got to do it and had to take the fall on the beam. She gets it about 3x out of 10. She has this weird hip rotation on the beam that she doesn't do on the floor, I just don't know how to get her to stop doing it.

I also think they may have left her in L4 because she has been so consistent, and they only have one other really talented girl in that level (our L4 team has been in 2 or 3rd at every meet)

But if L4 can't compete there is no reason to hold her back IMHO.

Snowbound

There has been a recent thread about cartwheels. Lots of tips on that one if you find it (sorry, I don't have time to locate it now:rolleyes:)

Consistent speed throughout and a "T" hand placement are 2 things that I find help when teaching CW's.

Good luck to your dd!!

I hope she get the cartwheel! It's always nice to end the season on a high note.

Honestly, a bigger problem than the cartwheel is the attitude of the other girls. That behaviour would not be tolerated at Bean's gym. Completely unacceptable. I hope, for the sake of your daughter's developing self esteem, something is being done about the negativity.

I am really glad I talked to the coach, because she sounded very positive, and like going in a meet as an L5 would be a good experience.

I'm not too worried about the older girls, DD is pretty good at shaking off what others say. The coaches won't do anything if they don't hear it first hand. Girls can get pretty catty some times, and some of them might be jealous that DD is getting consistent medals and they aren't, even though they already moved up.

so now I guess I'm asking for luck for our first L5 meet in three weeks!

snowbound

SO I'll be the first to send you good luck for the meet. Great that you chatted with the coaches, it is good to remember how much they care about the kids they teach.

A girl just got moved out of my youngest DD's group for girl bullying (you know that subtle, sly, I am better than you kind) She was in a group where the girls were all her age, now she's in a group where she is the youngest and the girls have no time for her at all. Coaches see stuff that you wouldn't believe sometimes!!!

I am really glad I talked to the coach, because she sounded very positive, and like going in a meet as an L5 would be a good experience.

I'm not too worried about the older girls, DD is pretty good at shaking off what others say. The coaches won't do anything if they don't hear it first hand. Girls can get pretty catty some times, and some of them might be jealous that DD is getting consistent medals and they aren't, even though they already moved up.

so now I guess I'm asking for luck for our first L5 meet in three weeks!

snowbound

I'm glad you talked to the coach as well! Sometimes it is best to get to the heart of the matter and nip things in the bud with the coach. I had an experience where my dd's teammate was being nasty, jealous and very unsportsmanlike to her at meets so I talked to the coach and she was very supportive and nipped it in the bud at the very next practice. We haven't had anymore of that negativity thankfully. It just seems like that behavior by that one teammate is being transferred into the behavior of being a "drama queen", wanting all the attention and "getting hurt" at like every practice. It is a shame because the girl is talented.

Anyway, sorry to go off tangent here. I wish your dd the best of luck at the next level 5 meet and don't worry about the cartwheel too much. She will get it. :) I will send the cartwheel fairy your way just in case!!! ;)

Best of luck to her - that would be a great way to end the season!

she seems to be about 80% on the cartwheel, and 85% on the kip (as long as she isn't sore, that's another, very ugly, story!)

Thanks for the well wishes!
snowbound

My daughter is also a repeat level 4. We thought maybe she would move up but she did not and had a great year. She just turned 9 but the last meet we went to there was alot of 10 and 11 4's. Its great that your daughter will get to compete as a level 5 this year. My daughter is anxious to move up after this year but she stills needs her kip and what is giving her trouble is her front handspring. I am glad that she has until next fall to work on her level 5 stuff and I am sure that next year they will have a great level 5 season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back