Parents nervous before comp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Annikins

Proud Parent
I know there's probably no magic cure for this, but I am sooo nervous before my six year old's comp tomorrow. She's only been at her new gym club for three months so many skills are quite new to her. She has to do cartwheel and backward walkover on beam, and squat on catch on bars, all of which aren't exactly consistent. Hoping she ends the day happy with how she's done...any tips for either staying calm, or failing that, pretending to?! Edited: Oops just posted this twice somehow, sorry!

it is tough to just sit back and watch, but you can do it. Take a deep breath and realize that even if she falls it's all okay. Before hand tell you that you love her and to have fun. Afterward not matter the outcome, hug her and tell her you are proud of her

Remember that you want her to be happy and as long as she is happy so too are you.
Also remember it doesn't really matter where she places in her first 6 year old meet. So smile relax and enjoy her.

I usually don't watch beam. :p

Reactions: sce
Definitely breathe and try to relax- shake it out if you have to.. it'll be ok regardless of the outcome.. first meets are usually for adorable mistakes. That aside- what level is your six year old that they have a beam BWO in their routine? I didn't think six year olds were even supposed to train those?

AH. My ds is going on his 10th year of competing, and I am still a nauseous wreck before his meets. But, the key is not to let her know :) Wish her luck and fun, cheer, and congratulate her on a great job! And you have fun too! It really is a good time watching them do what they love!

Thanks, when we got into this I didn't realize watching was going to be so nerve wracking!
me either!!!! seriously. it should be in the fine print in the contract we sign. or in bold letters. a warning of some kind. lol .

my best meet was one where there was a bar. haha

i'm a sweaty mess after and i usually don't eat before a meet.

10 years of this and I've always been shaky-nervous too. I remember, before my dd started competing, another mom telling me how nervous she gets, and I thought she was a hyper competitive fruitcake! Until my dd walked out on the floor for her first comp, that is, and then I understood instantly!

We have just two more seasons left, and so I am trying to focus on the fact that it will all be over soon and I need to just to enjoy it, falls, mistakes and all. In retrospect I wish I had understood this earlier. The kids have learned (or will learn in your dd's case) how to ignore their nerves and/or channel into excitement. I have huge respect for that skill, which needs to be honed just like an other, and I'm going to try to practice it this year!

I know it seems years off for you, but someday it will be over for your dd too, so try to relax and enjoy. Good luck!

I find that video-taping (on my phone) helps distract me from my nerves. For some reason, it is not as stressful for me to watch through the little phone screen! As an added bonus, my DD enjoys watching them after the meet and grandma loves when I share them with her too.

ETA - Or, if you prefer, take photos. Another gym mom I know takes pictures of all the girls at the meet to calm her nerves, and then shares her best ones with the rest of the team. Just an idea.

Yes, sorry to be late replying - I'm from England and I went to bed!! Well, I made it through the day (and so did she!). She actually did really well, it was a county competition, and she got silver on bars and vault, and did a really nice floor. Beam she came off three times - cartwheel and bwo not a huge surprise, but the cat leap tuck jump combo usually is ok. She's very happy that she got two medals anyway, so all's well that ends well.

It does seem much more stressful over here generally, as I've read a lot of comments from America saying it doesn't matter if you repeat a level, your daughter will be more solid etc, but over here if you don't keep up with your group, moving up each year, your place in the squad is in serious doubt going forwards. So if you don't do well enough, you might lose the hobby you love, which does make it pretty stressful in terms of getting moves and also doing well in competitions even at six years old.

Anyway, videoing definitely helped the nerves, but it's still pretty exhausting. Thanks for the moral support!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back