Coaches New Coach and veteran coach question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Coach B has been coaching with our program for over 10 years. He's a great guy and the kids love him. I would say he knows gymnastics however, not the best at coaching in terms of using correct progressions for skills and has a different view on spotting than I do. I spot for form not for skills they have no idea how to do nor do I spot becasue of fear. He is well loved by parents becasue they make their kids happy. However, when competition time comes, its another story.

Coach A arrived this year as head coach and has implemented what I think is a great program and schedule for our team. She knows her gymnastics and we share the same beliefs in spotting, skill progression as lead-ups to a skill and also enforcing positive feedback that is genuine when it is due. She is firm yet fair. I do think she needs to smile more. ha.

Recently, a parent has come to me saying that her child thinks the new coach doesn't like her and that she always says someone else is good. Her girl loves gym but is loosing confidence, "... just can't do it right" mentality. This made me reflect, sure I felt for this girl but then I took in the facts.

I'm usually on a break (pumping milk for baby) and cannot see what goes on in the gym from the office. But I can hear! I found that I could hear Coach B saying this girls name and good many many times and then saying something along the lines of "don't bend your legs", "don't do this" etc. to others. One time I didn't hear the name of one of our girls so I assumed she was absent, but she totally was. I've also seen this girl get away with acting up, jumping on his back and holding his hand. After more thinking, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't Coach A favoritism for all other girls but it was really Coach B's favoritism for this girl that was making her think Coach A didn't like her.

I've told the mom to ask her child how Coach A treats all the other girls too. Then to ask her how Coach B treats each one, especially the girl whom I assumed was absent that one day. Maybe that would help her child come to a conclusion, instead of me saying she was wrong to think that way.

The parent asked me because she trusts my judgement but didn't go directly to the HC or to the other coach. My question is more an ethical one; Should I go to the HC and let her know what was going on? Should I tell Coach B that I think he is using favoritism with the kids?

oh boy...got to think about this one. i gotta make sure i got it right. i'll be back...:)

Just get out of the way...send the gymnast and child to the new coach or HC to talk. You don't want to be in the middle...it will just cause more issues. Communication is key...

yesireebob JBS! i was going to say to stay out of it. you're idea might be more fruitful. ^^^:)

I did tell the head coach about it and she completely understood why the parent came to me. We talked about the underlying problem, Coach B's favoritism and she'll be addressing it shortly.

As for the parent, I've told her to ask questions about the other kids treatment to help get a bigger perspective. Especially, "Does Coach B hold anyone else's hand?" and "Does Coach A hold anyone's hand?" Parent totally gets the point and her kid is a pretty smart cookie. She emailed me this morning saying her kid is motivated to get back into the gym.

It is quite hard for these parents to trust a new person coming into the program. It's a small, family oriented program held in a country where most of us are away from home. It's almost impossible for me to just stay out of it in this transition time. We are all getting used to it. I hope they see the good fortune we have with us with the new HC as I do. Then I won't be stuck in the middle anymore. :)

I did tell the head coach about it and she completely understood why the parent came to me. We talked about the underlying problem, Coach B's favoritism and she'll be addressing it shortly.

As for the parent, I've told her to ask questions about the other kids treatment to help get a bigger perspective. Especially, "Does Coach B hold anyone else's hand?" and "Does Coach A hold anyone's hand?" Parent totally gets the point and her kid is a pretty smart cookie. She emailed me this morning saying her kid is motivated to get back into the gym.

It is quite hard for these parents to trust a new person coming into the program. It's a small, family oriented program held in a country where most of us are away from home. It's almost impossible for me to just stay out of it in this transition time. We are all getting used to it. I hope they see the good fortune we have with us with the new HC as I do. Then I won't be stuck in the middle anymore. :)

Sounds like you did the right thing. It is important for HC to know and understand what is going on...they can then allow other coaches to handle the situation if they would like.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back