New Compulsory Grades!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jenny

Coach
Proud Parent
So what do we think of the provisional new compulsory grades? Likey or no likey?

There are certainly a lot of changes! I like most of it as I can see what they are hoping to achieve. I like that there is a focus on connections on beam.
Having attended a few excel clinics last year I can see who has had a lot of input to these new rules!!
Its just quite frustrating as our 2014 level 4's have just learned all their skills for the previous routines! I'm sure they will cope but they aren't flicking on high beam yet or clear circling on bars!

I like the changes on beam and floor. I think the changes on bars and vault are massive! I'm sure they are good though. Not sure about the pike press on range just because I think a straddle press is prettier (and a bit easier ) but I like the jumps at the end replacing the body waves!

Oh yes! Glad to see the back of those body waves!!
Vault is definitely dramatically different! Will be interesting to see what our littlies make of the straight front to block!

I definitely need to see some of these skills being done as I can't imagine what everything is supposed to look like!

Yes very interesting to see that. I am keen to see how it will work. I think nationals will only be for in age 4 and 3 but 2 and 1 will be any age. I'm sure in age 2 and 1 will be separated in awards though. I think you can take 3,2 and 1 at any age is that right? I'm just hearing bits and pieces.

I can't wait to see nationals next year. Some of the beam work will be awesome.

I think the changes are good and the penny has firmly dropped about how dd's training has been going. They have been learning straight front's over and onto a block (ready for vols in autumn I guess) and roundoff onto springboard, tuck back onto mat stack (preps for next year) and focusing entirely on single bar work for a few weeks now. Clearly someone had a heads up! The beam is not all that different, but some skills are being introduced earlier. It's going to be a shock for quite a few level 4's to have to have their flic sorted I suspect. Floor is not so different. Vault is very different and much more progressive/exciting, Bars very different too. The range for 4 and 3 is similar to the old level 3, so again seems to be just upping the level 4 a bit. Leaps much more useful than silly waves. Love the way the in age/out of age thing is going. As I read it you will be able to pass the 4 and 3 at regional level out of age and be able to progress to level 1 and 2 at any age? That would be great, but makes me wonder what the incentive to push for in age would be.... other than a national final at a younger age. Think I like :)

Sorry, meant you could pass level 3 out of age nationally and progress to level 2 and 1 later. So what's the motivation for doing level 4 'in age'. A few little things unclear, but all good I think.

I think the changes are good and the penny has firmly dropped about how dd's training has been going. They have been learning straight front's over and onto a block (ready for vols in autumn I guess) and roundoff onto springboard, tuck back onto mat stack (preps for next year) and focusing entirely on single bar work for a few weeks now. Clearly someone had a heads up! The beam is not all that different, but some skills are being introduced earlier. It's going to be a shock for quite a few level 4's to have to have their flic sorted I suspect. Floor is not so different. Vault is very different and much more progressive/exciting, Bars very different too. The range for 4 and 3 is similar to the old level 3, so again seems to be just upping the level 4 a bit. Leaps much more useful than silly waves. Love the way the in age/out of age thing is going. As I read it you will be able to pass the 4 and 3 at regional level out of age and be able to progress to level 1 and 2 at any age? That would be great, but makes me wonder what the incentive to push for in age would be.... other than a national final at a younger age. Think I like :)

I'm sure the incentive will be national squad selection. In age will still be the prestigious route and aim for the big clubs.

Out of age route will be an alternative way to get to the British than via the challenge cup. I think it is good.

It will be interesting to see how that pans out and if it remains the case. So many of our most successful seniors didn't make it through the compulsory route... maybe when the prestige of early national attention (with all the pressure and intense number of hours) is measured against girls who actually succeed at a senior level via other routes it might look different? I don't know, I'm just wondering if eventually the whole 'in age' thing will lose it's relevance. After all, it's not how successful you are as a 10 year old which counts in the end is it??

It will be a very interesting few years that for sure. It is good to open the routes that girls can take.

Hopefully it will encourage people to take the time to coach good skills without too many hours and not to rush.

What is the benefit of the level 4 vault being a straight front onto block? Unless I'm being really dense I can't understand what it is a progression for.

Hopefully one of the coaches will correct me if I'm wrong, but from watching dd's group work on these it looks like a very good prep for good vault form generally. They are encouraged to really drive their heels, get a strong arch shape, plenty of height etc. When that is transferred into a handspring I'm guessing it will be a much better executed (and safer) handspring than some of the horrible ones I saw at the level 4 comp the last couple of years. Some of those were lacking in any great technique and as a result the kids nearly banged their heads on the vault table, only just making it over, with bend arms, legs etc. It will presumably also help with other vaults (yurchenko's etc) as it's still learning good form for arching down to land??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back