WAG New D1 NCAA WGYM program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think this is such great news!! Does anyone know the rules in terms of transfers? Not only from other D1 teams but moving up from D2 and 3 as well. Our do you think they will just try to field the team with all freshmen?

Probably upper class transfers and freshman’s. Maybe not even full full 12 gymnast roster. If you fill class with 12 freshman’s, you would really limit recruiting the next few years...

That is awesome! I would love to see one at South Carolina, Clemson, Duke or Wake Forest!

I think this is such great news!! Does anyone know the rules in terms of transfers? Not only from other D1 teams but moving up from D2 and 3 as well. Our do you think they will just try to field the team with all freshmen?

Good question! A good friend’s daughter was a member of the first womens lacrosse team in UMich. They field the entire team with freshmen. That was in 2014. I know my friend’s daughter had a full athletic scholarship but as tomtnt states above, they would need to figure out scholarship money for the coming years.

Do they have a head coach yet? I don’t see why LIU would not consider transfers especially if the gymnast has NCAA experience already. It might be a great option for current D3 gymnasts.

A friend of mine who competed for D3 team many many many many moons ago, indicated she had competed against LIU at one time.

So they made a change 2 years ago. They comitted to honoring scholarships and allowing athletes to transfer.

I am just saying proceed with caution. The institution has issues. The president has not changed. Before you send your child there, check and see how long the current dean for their preferred school has been in their post. Last I heard, no college had a dean with a tenure of longer than a few years. I'm not surprised the AD has turned over as well.

I don’t know how this relates to anything, if at all. I have no personal experience nor have we explored or considered LIU in any of my children’s college choices, but they’ve offered two of my three children full academic scholarships by merely reaching out to their guidance counselor. This information comes directly from the guidance counselor. How they picked out my children, I have no idea and puzzles me a bit. Additionally, information provided by friends seem to indicate they offer students a lot of money to go there. They seem to be actively recruiting both academic and athletic students.

It was recently announced that Randy Lane, former assistant head coach at UCLA, will become the head coach for the Sharks! There is a nice interview on one of the recent Routine podcast episodes with him, and he gives a lot of information and details about his plans and goals for the program. Definitely worth a listen!

I don’t know how this relates to anything, if at all. I have no personal experience nor have we explored or considered LIU in any of my children’s college choices, but they’ve offered two of my three children full academic scholarships by merely reaching out to their guidance counselor. This information comes directly from the guidance counselor. How they picked out my children, I have no idea and puzzles me a bit. Additionally, information provided by friends seem to indicate they offer students a lot of money to go there. They seem to be actively recruiting both academic and athletic students.
My daughter attends a college that reached out to her through her guidance counselor. It was based on her grades and SAT score. My dd did get the highest non-sports monetary scholarship in her graduating class, based solely on her grades, so don’t be too suspicious, it’s probably legit.

My daughter attends a college that reached out to her through her guidance counselor. It was based on her grades and SAT score. My dd did get the highest non-sports monetary scholarship in her graduating class, based solely on her grades, so don’t be too suspicious, it’s probably legit.

Oh, I was not suspicious at all. And I believe it was legit. The point I was trying to make, which was likely not clear, is that LIU appears to have quite a bit of money to offer. A good thing for their new gymnastics program.

Attachments

• 11D81D83-6381-405D-BAF3-5E4CA825F685.png
    11D81D83-6381-405D-BAF3-5E4CA825F685.png
    4 MB · Views: 67
I really am amazed by how many gymnasts joined onto the team in such a short period of time. I didn't look into who they are (except a few who transfered from Bridgeport), where they are from but just noticed the numbers. Good for them!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back