WAG New fear of back tumbling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A level 4 gymnast scared of back tumbling for the past two practices. The first day yesterday she had one turn left and didn't go for RO 2 BHS. I spotted it. Today I spotted one and she did all but a couple but from only a step hurdle. Just want to make sure I approach it the right way since it is so new. She didn't fall or balk that I'm aware of (but they do come play in the gym before practice starts so I could have missed something). She is an extremely talented kid, and a powerful tumbler.

Maybe I should have asked a question. What do I do now? How do I handle it? To make it as easy as possible to get through it (and get rid of it?).

I am not a coach, but I have seen this happen at our gym. Our coaches take them back to basics, lots of drills to work back up to the skill and provide pretty heavy spotting until they're able to integrate the skill back into their repertoire. Sometimes it happens relatively quickly, sometimes it takes a while. Just be patient and back her up to the point that she can do it successfully and then rebuild.

Good luck!

Let the kid drive her own car on this. No matter how much you care and how helpful you are, she'll need to solve the problem with the resources she has to offer, or feel the pressure of keeping up with whatever you may try.

........ and consider the logic that goes into getting the impression that the energy put into finding a solution is a direct indication of the problem's severity. Just like in algebra class when the teacher gets in front of the class, and turns red while running out of breath during a 15 minute, white board shredding, explanation of how to solve an equation. A 15 minute explanation!!!:eek::eek::eek: Geez, that's gotta be a pretty tough problem if the teacher has to take forever to present it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back