New floor routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi.

I'm a gym dad with an eleven year old daughter entering level eight. It is already 10/1 and my daughter's coach has not chosen any music for my daughter's routine or choreographed the skills and dance with the music. I am beginning to feel a bit anxious as our first meet, Judges Cup, is 12/9/07. What is a typical amount of time needed to choreograph and learn a new floor routine? Am I panicking unnecessarily?

My daughter is going to TOPs Nationals on 10/5 and has been very busy preparing for that. I can anticipate that her coach will cite this as a reason for delaying work on the floor routine. However, none of the other girls on the level eight team have their own floor routines yet and they haven't been busy working on TOPs. Is the coach being negligent?

Sincerely, Tuduri

I don't have an optional gymnast, but we are pretty tight w/the optionals in our gym since our compuls & options work out together... they have their first meet on Nov 17th and 1 of our level 8's (& a level 9) has not picked their music out either, let alone start on their routine... our gym does not test TOPS but they use all of the same resources to build strength, and focus on strength/conditioning and higher level skills. The JO program (level 5-10) is not a big focus for them, they are more elite oriented - could this be a focus in your gym as well? TOPS can actually be a source of mobility as well, maybe this is a motive for them.

On the other hand maybe the JO program is impt to them, but they feel your dd will pick up the dance portion of the routine with little problem, so that by the time she goes to say her 2nd or 3rd meet she will score very well. Have you asked the coach the why question?

another note: Some gyms expect the gymnast to call in their own choreographer... or have someone else that choreographs for a fee.

BTW - good luck to your dd at TOPS Testing next week:D

Floor routine

Hi Ingymmom:

Actually my dd's coach is the choreographer. I finally talked to her(which was the logical thing to do in the first place) and she assured me that she only needed two 2 hour sessions to choreograph the floor routine, that is once we pick the music. We have another coach that cuts the music.

Of course, dd still has to master the routine. But I was assured that this won't be a problem as she has all her level eight skills mastered.

The lesson learned is: Simply ask the coach before second guessing her!

We usually choreograph routines in July/August so that the girls can start memorizing them and perfecting the choreography. We also like doing this so that the girls can work on dance throughs or routines with only basic tumbling passes to build endurance and what not.

It typically takes about 2 hours to learn a floor routine, but sometimes it can take longer--depending on how well the gymnast learns it and what all needs to be changed on the spot (so to say). They'll probably focus on it after TOPs testing and what not. Although I would think that they have probably already picked out floor music for the girls (if the coaches/choreographer does that), and they've probably started thinking about things.

When in doubt, ask a coach about what's going on and voice your concern/question. Communication is key in all relationships and what not.

Floor routine

I've seen several gymnasts including my own daughter, that learned a new floor routine and competed it within a couple of weeks. They all did very well too. Good luck.

Actually my dd's coach is the choreographer. I finally talked to her(which was the logical thing to do in the first place) and she assured me that she only needed two 2 hour sessions to choreograph the floor routine, that is once we pick the music. We have another coach that cuts the music.

Of course, dd still has to master the routine. But I was assured that this won't be a problem as she has all her level eight skills mastered.

The lesson learned is: Simply ask the coach before second guessing her!

Awesome!! I am sure she will be great! Can't wait to hear about her meet season, hope you will keep us updated - our coaches say that level 8 is when gymnastics truly begins!! :D wishing her lots of fun at TOPS camp this weekend!!!

The optionals on my dd's team have to have their choreography in place by 10/31. They only start working the routines in practice at that point. Their first meet is usually a warmup-type meet in December.

At dd's gym, the head coach says that she only needs about 3/4 hrs to teach them and at the end of the session they will know their routine.

We had one girl learn her routine on a Wednesday, compete it that following Sunday and took 1st place.

It really doesn't take that long. If the coach and choreographer are good they have picked music and dance steps that work for your dd and it really takes no time to learn a routine.

Good luck though!

Thanks for all the information on the floor routine.

My 11 yo dd and I got back from Karolyi's ranch in Houston, Texas on Saturday night. Dd's coach called us late Monday night with news that my daughter had been selected for the TOPs B team and was invited to return for a week long training camp in December. Dd had a great level ten beam routine on the high beam without any mats for psychological support. (8.6) She had a vertical leap of 21.5, which was two inches higher than anyone else. She climbed the rope in 5.66 seconds. Parents weren't allowed to watch. But dd's coach gave me a play by play....

There were many impressive gymnasts at Karolyi's ranch. They all worked incredibly hard to achieve their respective goals. They were all winners.

Tuduri

My daughter has been optional a while. Usually in our gym they get their routines in summer but we have a couple who just got theirs....Not too late. Usually they pick up choreography pretty quickly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back