Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Grips

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDiver

Jul 21, 2007
TN
I'm not exactly sure, I was on bars a ton and so I had to get new grips quite a bit. I knew it was time when they were so thin it was as they were about to rip. They did tear a little on the sides though and that is when I ordered them.
How long have you had these grips?

gymgymgymnast08

Proud Relative
Former Gymnast
Dec 8, 2007
Country
USA
Oops Mine are torn a little on the sides. I do have another pair but I don't really feel like breaking them in yet so I will probably break them in when my season is over in July.

H

hammy

I would say it all depends on how thin and stretched out they are. Some kids keep their grips for a year or so, depending on how hard they swing bars and what not.

mac.n.cheese.flipz

Jul 6, 2008
MO
It really depends but you might want to have a back up pair broken in just in case. My friend was at a meet and while she was warming up her grip somehow tore in half but she had a back up pair so she was ok! =D

Takiah

May 21, 2008
I had a nightmare that happened to me at the 2009 masters which im training for !!! haha =(

gymkat

Former Gymnast
Judge
Jun 24, 2008
Ahhh if your grips are tearing on the sides, then get a new pair ASAP. I've had teammates whose grips totally tore in half while they were on bars.

My first pair of grips lasted for 2 years. By the end of club (L9), I was going through two pairs of grips per year. I like thicker leather, though, and during the summer, we were on bars 1.5 hours every day, plus 3 hours of bar classes every week. Needless to say, my bars drastically improved the last two years in high school after I switched to that gym!

K

KBT

If they are starting to tear, get a backup pair broken in soon! You never know when they're going to break. But as long as you feel safe in them, I suppose you can keep using them. If you've got a lot of small tears already, though, you might want to retire this pair so you don't have them fully rip on you during the middle of a skill. I like to "rough up" my grips and after a while they get so flattened that I can't rough them up anymore and that's when I get new grips. Most people keep their grips longer than that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.