Parents new gym parent looking for advice one what to expect

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tuffnut11

Proud Parent
Good morning I have a DD who just turned six. she has been in gymnastics classes started in a parent tot class and went through the preschool program. this last year she went from rec level 2 in house to the in house team and now was invited to an excel developmental team. I am terrified and excited for her all at the same time. I just don't know what to expect. I am not in any way shape or form a gymnast. I cannot even do a cartwheel let alone any of the tricks she will learn. We were never interested in JO as we wanted her to be able to experience other activities and the excel program at this gym seems to allow time for the kids to do just that. I just hope I am doing the right thing. Guess I'm just looking for any advice a new gym parents would need to have. As of now I do not stay for practice my choice she goes to her in house team and I drop her off and come back at pick up time. Figured that would make me less nervous about watching her fling herself around lol. But anything else I should know would be appreciated!

Just enjoy it and cheer your daughter on!!! I also have no background in gymnastics, so it makes it very easy for me to just enjoy (stress) what my daughter is doing! My daughter is JO7 but, started out at 6 in Xcel and the Xcel side is alot of fun and gives them the ability to do more than gymnastics. My daughter actually has plans to move back to Xcel so that she can middle school sports when she is to that point. Starting your daughter in there from the get go is a great idea!!!

Definitely enjoy it! I wish someone would have told me that when my daughter started team. First, they are so stinkin' cute when they are little doing this sport, and it doesn't last long - either they grow up or move on. Second, it's fun to get into the spirit of competition, but don't take it too seriously, especially at this age. This is supposed to be fun for them. I have seen too many kids burn out early because other people (often their parents) take away their fun and enjoyment by getting too critical and competitive, when all the kids want and need is support. Last, don't be afraid, but be wowed at what they learn! The coaches teach them how to fall, and how to adjust when things go weird. So trust in that (although injuries do happen, I wouldn't focus on it). Last, trust your gut. If anything feels off, check into it, watch a practice, talk to a coach, etc. You are the parent and know your kid better than anyone. Oh, and take lots of pictures and videos! When they get older, they don't like that so much - I love to occasionally go back and see the cuteness again :)

If you haven't already introduce yourself to the other parents as you all will spend a lot of time sitting around waiting for your kids to go on at the meets and/or waiting for them to be done at practice, plus inevitably they will want to have play dates/sleep overs and knowing the parents makes it easier.

Read over the team handbook and be familiar with your gyms rules, things like how they handle absences, attire for meets, and general knowledge of how your team likes to do things should make you feel a bit more comfortable.

Expect to see her blossom into an incredibly strong, fit and flexible athlete able to excel at almost any sport she puts her mind to.

Expect her to make incredible, strong friendships with her teammates, which may even last a lifetime.

Expect her to be upside down all the time! And to flip, rather than walk everywhere she goes!

Expect to enjoy those special moments when she bounds out of the gym so excited to tell you that she just learned a new skill, while you smile and enjoy her joy and pretend to know what she is talking about.

Expect days when she comes out with a few tears or frustration, or worries about new scary skills and as long as these don't happen too often take advantage of the chance to let this build her into a stronger person.

Expect the see that little spark in her turn into a fire as her passion and love for the sport grows.

Of course there is always a chance that this sport will not be for her, and she will come to you and ask to try something else. In which case expect this to be a great part of her journey where she learned skills that she can apply to many parts of her life in the future.

Your already doing the best thing you can, by not staying for practice.......:cool:

Sell a kidney and learn to budget and be frugal because that’ll come in handy once the big fees start coming! LOL j/k sorta

For me one of the best things I did was learn the sport so I could understand what I was watching at meets. Understanding how they score (even if it’s subjective) can be helpful. But most importantly just remember to be a loving, supportive and encouraging parent. Good luck to your DD.

Wow thank you so much for such amazing advice! I think I am more nervous about this than she is. Today is her first xcel practice and she has been asking for over two weeks now when does it start. She even remembered and laid out a leo for tonight...lol... She is a ball of energy and personality and just loves life. I'm sure she will be all kinds of excited coming up to tell me about her new coach and the new or familiar girls that could be in her class. It definitely is exciting. I think I am looking forward of a solid 2 hours of drop off to go the gym or get errands done... lol. I definitely need to take a lot of pictures!

Good morning I have a DD who just turned six. she has been in gymnastics classes started in a parent tot class and went through the preschool program. this last year she went from rec level 2 in house to the in house team and now was invited to an excel developmental team. I am terrified and excited for her all at the same time. I just don't know what to expect. I am not in any way shape or form a gymnast. I cannot even do a cartwheel let alone any of the tricks she will learn. We were never interested in JO as we wanted her to be able to experience other activities and the excel program at this gym seems to allow time for the kids to do just that. I just hope I am doing the right thing. Guess I'm just looking for any advice a new gym parents would need to have. As of now I do not stay for practice my choice she goes to her in house team and I drop her off and come back at pick up time. Figured that would make me less nervous about watching her fling herself around lol. But anything else I should know would be appreciated!
Like other's have said, just enjoy the experience! I wasn't a gymnast either, but I did dance, and some of my best memories of childhood are from that time. Just go with the flow, get to know the other parents, and cheer your little on.

It’s a fun sport with so many benefits. To early to worry about getting hurt. They do very little gymnastics at that age. Take it one day at a time. Watching her is not a bad thing despite what some posters have stated above. She’s only 6 years old and I would like to see and know she is having fun and is ok. I also LOVE watching. They are simply so adorable. I remember watching my kids when they started gymnastics; how excited they were. They would jump up and dowm when they thought they had a skill or was just happy being in the gym and doing things. How could I miss those days? It was priceless!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back