Parents New GymMom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Vault is not as easy as alot of parents and the general public think. My daughter is a natural vaulter---loves to run full speed at something that doesn't move. It will take time for the young ones to feel comfortable with the entire event. They have to learn how to run properly(no running like a girl!), learn the hurdle onto the springboard then get used to where they need to punch off the springboard, then where to put their hands on the vault (or mat for Level 4), how to get a good block(while staying in a handstand) and then finally how to land. Some kids are afraid of vault so its good they are letting them get used to it now, even if the coach has to pick her up and over. There are alot of drills the coaches will use to get them used to all the different parts of the vault---then work on putting it all together.

BTW--I'm not the mom who is helping set up a new gym. Booster clubs are a hot topic and ours may drive me insane! We ought to start a seperate thread to get more input!

Anyone have suggestions on where to get a practice beam/mats?? I don't think we have a place near here, so will need to order it.

The bar seems scary to me, and like someone said, too much stuff at home may detract from the fun of the gym.

Wow, your girls all seem to be doing great! We're still only pre-team, I can't even imagine M jumping to the high bar!! One day.

laurameer - we don't have a mat so I may not be the best source for this, but I know you can google gymnastics equipment or just folding mat, and you get a ton of choices... I am sure someone should be able to post a reputable place to order one from... another alternative - walmart or costco, I am not sure of the quality but my friend found a mat the size you are looking for for under a $100 and they were perfectly happy with it. btw my daughter can do the squat on to the bar to prepare for the jump to high bar, but is no where near actually jumping to the high bar - really really far away lol:D

gymlawmom, I agree about the vault, it does seem easier than what it is. mine def "runs like a girl" , she stopped leaping in between at least, and she FINALLY gets the hurdle and where to jump on the springboard, which is why she can actually get a lift from it.... your dd seems so talented, Its great that she loves vault and it "loves" her- is it her favorite event? - I wish her the best on her journey to level 8!

Laura, I would check Amazon for mats. We got a large black 4 x 8 mat that is quite nice from Amazon for less than $100. I think they may have sellers selling beams on Amazon too.

On vault, my dd is pretty good with the run and hurdle but she doesn't weigh much and doesn't get much punch off the board. It seems to require a long hurdle too and that seems to be an issue because her legs are so short. The vault table is so long that I imagine that they must have to pick up any 5 yr old to get her hands in the right spot, but it is good no doubt to get them used to running at the table. :eek:

Meg

I found our practice beam on ebay. Made by a gym coach and he has 4 or 5 sayings he'll stencil on the side. I think with shipping it came to about $150.

Never bought a mat. The ones they sell are not that thick and at home they are just laying on top of a floor where at the gym, the floor is padded, spring loaded etc. My concern was my overzealous child trying to do some tumbling that she wasn't ready for without a coach.

We got our daughter (currently Level 4) a practice beam for Christmas. We ordered one that was advertised on the back of USA Gymnastics Magazine for $99 delivered. It sits flat on the floor, but is covered in suede like the real beams. And the other reason that we chose this one is that it folds in half and easily slides under a bed when we want it out of the way. Our coach not only approved it, she has also borrowed it a few times!

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions on the practice beam. M can't wait to get one! The folding ones seem great for now, easy to put away when needed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back