New Gymnast Here

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey everybody! I'm a rec level 5 gymnast and as my username implies, gymnastics is definitely my biggest passion. Because of transportation and finance issues, I will most likely never be on team, and will have to console myself with two hours of practice each week. But I will never give up!

Nice talking to y'all. Hopefully I will again soon!

Hey everybody! I'm a rec level 5 gymnast and as my username implies, gymnastics is definitely my biggest passion. Because of transportation and finance issues, I will most likely never be on team, and will have to console myself with two hours of practice each week. But I will never give up!

Nice talking to y'all. Hopefully I will again soon!
Are you old enough to get some sort of a job at the gym? Maybe they could cut you a break it you helped out with toddler classes or cleaning or something.
Or maybe there is a rec team option in the area? Rec teams usually don't travel very far and their meet fees and expenses aren't as much as the USAG teams. Also, have you considered seeing if there is a competitive YMCA gymnastics team nearby? They are usually less expensive than club teams. Just something to consider :)

Thanks for replying! I'm unfortunately not old enough to get a job, I'm only 14. Also, I don't live particularly close to a YMCA and my dad doesn't enjoy driving me around all the time to...anywhere really. But if it was my decision I would be at the gym every day.

I haven't thought of a rec team, and I will do some research on that. Both my parents are really supportive of me as long as it doesn't get to expensive or time consuming, but everyone knows, that's the reality of competitive gymnastics.

At 14, you couldn't be on the payroll at the gym, but maybe you could do janitorial type work at the gym... as an offset of gym fees. (I know some gyms let the parents work in the office or do cleaning to do this, so they might let you).

Actually it depends on what state you're in. In Florida you can have a job at 14, but the hrs are very limited. But most gyms coaching a few rec classes a week does not conflict with the child labor laws.

Have you put any thought towards fundraising? A real simple fundraiser my team girls do annually is a "Cartwheel-A-Thon". Gain sponsors to pay anywhere from 1 penny to 1 dollar for each cartwheel you do in a given set time. (Usually 1-2 min.) Family members/teachers @ school/ local businesses will help out and let you stand out front even to support your cause. Be safe though.... have your mom/dad with you when out in public, Always!!!! My team girls average $400 -$500 each with our 2 min cartwheel a thon. 1 other note I have two level 5s and their families struggle financially and can not afford to pay for team. They found a program that provides for them a financial sponsor who pays for their monthly tuition fees. something to look into. I wish you the best.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back