WAG New gymnastics novel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

leotardmakermum

Proud Parent
9780143308652.jpg

My daughter brought home a book from the school library yesterday. It's called "The Flyaway Girls" by Julia Lawrinson. ISBN: 9780143308652. It's newly published and she's enjoying it very much.

Reading the extract on the linked website, https://www.penguin.com.au/products/9780143308652/flyaway-girls
and over her shoulder when I was doing her hair this morning, it seems there's aspects of bullying, which is something she's been experiencing lately, so can probably really identify with.

I have no interests in the book, but have seen my daughter enjoying it, so thought I would share it here, as there will probably be other young gymnasts who would enjoy it.

As a guide for age, the girls in the book are about 9-11 years old, and it would probably suit readers of those ages - strong 9 year old readers, through to regular older readers.

i cant find it in local library or stores- only kindle and for sale in australia. if anyone else find it, please let me know.

It doesn't seem to be in print here in the U.S. My DD dislikes ebooks (it's available as a kindle book), but if it ever gets put out in print I would definitely get it for her. She has quite the collection of gymnastics books, both fiction and non-fiction. Thanks for the tip!

It's very new, and may not yet have a publisher in the US. You could email the Australian publisher and ask them who will be publishing it in the US.

And also, books available in Australia can be purchased online in Australia and imported into the US. Especially with the exchange rate the way it is at the moment. ;-)

Good call! I ordered it from an online Australian bookstore, and even with shipping it was only $12.

MILgymFAM
Will you please PM me or pits the retailer you purchased it from. I may need to get it for my nine year old. Thanks!

MILgymFAM
Will you please PM me or pits the retailer you purchased it from. I may need to get it for my nine year old. Thanks!

I would have happily, but they already refunded me. Apparently they cannot (or will not) ship outside of Australia. Boo!

I don't know what is worse... not being able to order an item from oversea's or being faced with a shipping charge minimum of over $300 for a relatively small package worth $50... I hate UPS.

$300 minimum shipping charge?? :eek: From the US to Australia, or from Australia to the US? (I'm so confused about where you are, Pineapple Lump! You know a lot about both US and Australian gymnastics...)

@Pineapple_Lump there are a few services around now that will receive packages in the US and ship them to Australia on your behalf, I have used them myself but did register with one once and checked their charges then. They were OK charges wise.

Who did you go through? we used Bongo once, but it was pretty pricey and we didn't really know the price until it got to them - we justified the cost at the time as that item was geoblocked from us in the first place.

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Flyaway-Girls-Julia-Lawrinson/9780143308652

They don't have it in stock at the moment, but they will ship to the U.S...

Thanks!! I just ordered it from them. Shipping was super reasonable (3.50 AUD). Using a currency converter, I think I paid about 16.50 USD for both the book and international shipping. I think that's surprisingly reasonable. My order confirmation states "estimated delivery date from local supplier is Oct 1-15". While I'm inferring that a different "local" Australian company is fulfilling the order, I'm not 100% sure exactly what it means or what to expect. But I'm assuming that I should probably receive the book by Christmas, LOL.

My 8 yr old son ordered a $3 2x2 Rubik's cube from Asia this summer, and it took like nine (very, very, very long) weeks to deliver. Granted, that was with Amazon... Not sure they were concerned about expediency!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back