WAG New Here (and have question)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NewGymMominCA

Proud Parent
Hi All - I've lurked on here but this is the first time I've posted on here!

I am a mom to a 7 1/2 (well closer to 7 3/4) yr old DD. She *just* started taking gymnastics - in Feb. - of this year. But before to that - no gymnastics experience.

A few months ago - one of her coaches asked me if DD could join one of their team development classes. I did *not* expect this and am still not sure what I got myself into!o_O

Anyway - she's been doing this for awhile now and she LOVES it!

However, when she's not doing gymnastics at the gym - she's doing gymnastics - at home. And - I'm not so sure that's a good idea - because she almost always forgets to stretch (and likes to make-up moves).

My question is: is it Ok to sign a child up for a Rec. gymnastics class (like Intermediate) - while the child is already taking a team dev. class?

She's only doing the team dev. class - 4 hours a week.

And, honestly, this does not seem like enough for her. Not that I'm trying to get her to be a superstar or anything - but - she's VERY active - and I'd rather see her channel all of that energy in the safety of a gym.

Also - she's VERY strong - but her skills - REALLY - need more developing.

So, I'm really not sure what to do...

Any advice? :)

You can check with the coaches and ask if they have any recommendations (maybe a tumbling class or something) but I would say it's pretty unusual for a kid to take both rec and pre-team classes at the same time. Dance, especially ballet, would be a good choice. In retrospect, if I could go back to where you are now, I would make sure my DD took swimming lessons (she can swim, but she doesn't know the strokes) and maybe tried a different sport or maybe a different activity, like piano lessons or something. There is just no room for any of that in her schedule now (yes, I know that some kids juggle higher level gymnastics and a musical instrument or whatever, but I have no idea HOW!) and I wish I had made some of those things happen before every spare moment was spent at the gym.

I would ask the coach their opinion. Generally, rec classes don't have them work as hard on doing all the movements absolutely correctly every time so it isn't recommended. But again, that is up to your gym on how they handle that.

I am certain you can register your daughter for more gym classes in her current gym or even another gym as long as you've not signed any commitment contracts. I doubt any gym will turn away a rec student. However if your daughter may be interested in pursuing gymnastics beyond rec, I would speak with her current coaches and ask them what they suggest. Your daughter will progress a lot slower in rec classes and it may not be challenging enough. Kids come and go at rec classes. So the level stays the same more or less throughout the year. But if all you are looking for is physical activity for your daughter, then rec classes are fine. But I'd go for at least some type of accelerated rec class.

Do you know how long it will be before she is 'moved up' to more hours? 4 hours a week sounds like a pretty typical pre-team/developmental schedule. Have you talked with the coach about how long they expect before she would be ready for team (either Xcel, JO, or other team program)?

I agree with others that the rec classes aren't usually the best option for a child in a developmental track already. The focus on form is less, and she may be bored. Possibly if they offer a tumbling class and your coach recommends it, that could be an option. Otherwise, if she's super into gymnastics and looking towards joining team before long, her time will be fully committed very soon, and now would be a good time to try anything else she might like, like swimming, martial arts, soccer, dance, rock climbing gym, tennis, etc.

Two of my children are also uber-high-energy like this. We spend most free time at playgrounds when they are not in gymnastics class. And of course they mostly 'play gymnastics' there, too, lol. (No flips or advanced bars, tho! Not safe! just to be clear ;-) )

Also, I recommend getting a nice panel mat for home if you have space in your house or yard. It's great for all the basic, relatively safe stuff when they are first starting out, like cartwheels, rolls, handstands, bridges, kickovers, etc. Mine are on team now and they still use the mat for basics for fun at home. We also have a floor beam (not raised, just sits on floor) and mine have enjoyed that for basics as well.

Good luck!

Hi All - thanks so much for your replies!

I have asked her if she'd like to take ballet (as they do offer it at her gym) - but she doesn't want to...and it's hard to change her mind!

And...no I don't know when they will advance her...but I think it might be awhile...as she still has so many skills to get! (I think she was progressing faster in her rec. class than she is in the team dev. class...)

Also...what's the difference between tumbling classes vs rec.. classes?

Thanks in advance! :)

I agree with the above. Now is a great time to also expose her to other sports/activities. If she stays in gymnastics there will quickly be no time left. I was thinking of putting ds in a tumbling class at our gym if he hadn't moved up to team when he did (but preteam was only 1.5 hours) so I would consider that. If she won't do ballet, there are other dance styles she might like. Ds did martial arts, swimming and early music (pre piano).

I have asked her if she'd like to take ballet (as they do offer it at her gym) - but she doesn't want to...and it's hard to change her mind!

And...no I don't know when they will advance her...but I think it might be awhile...as she still has so many skills to get! (I think she was progressing faster in her rec. class than she is in the team dev. class...)

That's because rec focuses on getting kids throw skills with so-so form. Coaches aren't as picky.

Dev. Class focuses on proper technique and building strength and good form before allowing kids to do skills.

My dd is in the developmental class as well and still has tons of energy she needs and wants to get out. She is now taking swimming lessons and will start ballet in a few weeks again. She wasn't crazy about it before but did a camp earlier this summer and wants to try again. I am hoping this might keep her busy for now. Also if your gym has open gym times those are great too.

This may be deceiving. Rec kids only come in for an hour or two a week. They just want to learn how to do a cartwheel, etc. So, they are taught skills quicker and there is not such a great emphasis on shape, form or conditioning. Yes, her devo class may look like they are not progressing her quickly, but they are teaching her every tiny part of the skills so that they are perfect. Competitive gymnastics is about perfecting form and skills. She will actually progress faster long term in the devo class. I think this is why others are suggesting you ask the coach if adding a rec class is okay, because she won't be taught the same way in a rec class as in her devo team class.

Tumbling is just floor skills. If there is a great tumbling coach teaching the rec tumbling classes, I could see her coaches allowing her to add one of those. Ideally, ballet would be great. If you are just looking for her to burn off some excess energy, you can let her try jazz, hip hop, tap, karate, swimming or another recreational sport, like soccer or softball.

I think you really need to talk to her coaches about it. Some gyms would be fine with while others would veto it entirely. Email or talk to the coach and say your daughter loves gymnastics and ask if there is anything they can recommend so she can go more often.

These are really great suggestions! I think I will ask her coach...if there's anything else she can do to go more often.

She actually does go to their drop-in! But still wants more!

She likes swimming and is taking swim lessons...but isn't interested in anything else...especially after starting gymnastics...now she's pretty much hooked!!

I'll keep you posted on what I find out! :) (I hope her coach doesn't mind me asking - but - I don't know what else to do!)

Totally different at our gym we do team and a rec class every week have done for a year our rec classes are taught pretty much them same with emphasis on shape and form there's definitely no chucking stuff but the rec and team are taught by the same same coaches and we are in the uk

(I think she was progressing faster in her rec. class than she is in the team dev. class...)

2 things, the "slower progression" is what was referred to above., The developmental class is probably focussing more on form and building strength etc. In the long run it leads to great gymnastics. Rec classes are more fun and may learn skills but not with the same technique, form etc.
Tumbling classes are often offered as a supplemental at gyms, they focus only on tumbling skills, no events. Rec classes teach all the events.

Most gyms would frown on this I think. At my DDs gym, developmental classes are often focused on strength, form, shapes and progressions, NOT skills. When you have all those, skills will come easily. If they seem to have a string compulsory and optional team, trust the coaches and just give it time. Dance or other activities are a great option. Do it now, before gym consumes the schedule!

Yeah...I guess I should trust the process - more...

I (also) feel like I wish that I had started DD in gymnastics - earlier. The girls in her group are all about 6 yrs old (and started gymnastics when I guess they were 4 or 5). DD started when she was already 7 and will be 8 in December. :-(

I (also) feel like I wish that I had started DD in gymnastics - earlier. The girls in her group are all about 6 yrs old (and started gymnastics when I guess they were 4 or 5). DD started when she was already 7 and will be 8 in December. :-(

I made a similar statement a year or so ago on this board lamenting we hadn't started earlier. Well, each kid is different, but mine didn't start Rec until 6 3/4 and only started a 1x week preteam1 after she turned 7. I knew nothing about gymnastics when I brought her in for that first rec class. It never occurred to me that it could lead to any kind of team. Though strong and lean as a cheetah, her form/dancy-ness was terrible (stiff) and she was as flexible as a marble pillar (lol), and also ridiculously tall for her age. I really never ever ever imagined that 'her sport' would be gymnastics(!).

Well, now she is 8.5, and getting ready to compete in JO level 3 (nearly skipped it for level 4), and is at the top of her group in skills, and holds her own now on form and dance elements. Somehow things came together for her, as she is an incredibly focused, hard worker. True, if I had started her even earlier, she might be ahead a level, but she has caught up with most everyone who had that early advantage. I have seen some other 'later starters' do the same.

So you never know! Just sharing to show all is not lost, and her success really depends on her own talent and drive. Hope she continues to love gymnastics! :)

Starting earlier doesn't really matter. If the potential and dedication is there, they will end up where they would have either way. And sometimes starting early leads to burnout or overuse injuries. All kids progress at their own rate. My daughter started rec gym at almost 5 and was competing old level 4 at age 6. Another on her team started rec gym at 7 and is at same level she is, 12 year old level 8s. She progressed through levels quick while my daughter takes a slow and steady (repeating levels along the way) route. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back