New here and trying to help my daughter...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi,
I am the mother of a 15 year who has struggled for 2.5 years to get her BHS. She can do only with a spot and as soon as the person spotting her walks aways she freeezes. The only way she can articulate it to me is by saying, "it feels like what I am asking my body to do is impossible. I cannot even picture or feel how to begin the motion of throwing the BHS. I know I can do it with a spot and it feels easy, but I cannot recall that feeling once they are not there standing beside me." She is frustrated and mad and cannot wrap her head around why she just cannot do the one thing she has practiced for so long. We have tried classes and privates with various coaches and at different gyms and week after week it is like she is learning how to tumble all over again. She cheers so there is the expectation that to tumble. Any thoughts/suggestions? I feel completely helpless and so sad for her. It is hard to watch her work through these emotions and not be able to understand what is happening in her mind/body.

I'm assuming this has been tried but if it hasn't..have her coach follow it with their hands. Honestly there's really nothing you can do for her. It has to be a decision made by her. You can get some mental training books ordered online that she can read that might help..warrior athlete body, mind and spirit is one of my favorite books and it's helped tremendously with mental blocks!

My DD had similar issues, and what helped her was the coach spotting her with the spot very gradually getting lighter and lighter, and then very gradually taking her hands away. She can do it by herself on tumble-trak now, but is going through the same all over again trying to learn do it on floor.

The coach can give her a "finger spot" just by touching her lightly while she does it, and then stand very close while she does it, and then gradually begin moving back. Eventually she is just going to have to go for it, but making the steps more gradual is helpful. If she feels more comfortable with a four-inch mat or a sting mat on the ground, that could also help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back