New here...so what can I expect?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

theinnerlight

Hi. I am totally new here and pretty new to gymnastics. My daughter has been doing gymnastics since she was 3. She is now 4.5, and after 2 months in level 1 (1 hour 2x a week), the coach has says dd is ready to move up to level 2. That's 2 hours 2x a week. Is that a lot for a 4yo or is that pretty normal? I am surprised because she spent months in the kindergym class spacing out and wandering off because she was getting bored, and when I finally got them to move her up to level 1, the new coach said she would move up quickly. She has done really well in the level one class, follows directions and works really hard, even though she jumps around (in place) a lot. I'm wondering how she would do for 2 hours. She's also very, very tight and inflexible. I worry about her getting frustrated in class. But whereas flexibility is her weakness, strength is her...um...strength:)

I asked her how she felt about longer time in the gym. She was ecstatic! She takes a lot of pride in her physical strength and abilities. I am really proud of her, but concerned too about the demand on her time and her growing body. Any insights? BTW, she is not in school yet and will likely start half-day kindy in August. Thanks, and glad to have found these boards!

I would say let her try it. If she is too exhausted after two hours, see if you can switch back to the hour class. Or even have her workout with the level two group but for an hour or even an hour and a half. Another option might be for her to workout with the level ones one day and the level twos one day, as a transition (although, obviously only if your gym would allow that sort of thing).

As far as her flexibility--does she actively work on it in class without complaint? Is it a source of frustration now? There will surely be more flexibility training during a two-hour practice, but that will only help her increase her flexibility more quickly. You could also encourage her to stretch at home. Stretching is one of those things that you probably aren't going to hurt yourself doing, is easy to do anywhere (like stretching in a straddle sit while watching TV), and unlikely to cause any gymnastics bad habits by doing at home. Just don't push her--literally or figuratively. :)

Oh, and Welcome to Chalkbucket!

It's normal in Oz - which is where I assume you're from.
Sounds like she has a lot in common with my DD. She's super-strong but not so flexible naturally. She's not actually that far off splits, but her back doesn't bend much and I'm not game to help her improve it (I hurt my back doing gym myself).
My DD has only recently been asked to increase to 90 min classes (I would have asked soon if the coaches hadn't suggested it themselves). I hope she'll be asked to do a 2nd class before too much longer.

Welcome! I also have a 4 year old DD.. she is on pre-team which is 2 hours 2 days a week and she loves it! She does a pre-school program.. half day.. 3 times a week.

I would say give it a go! See how her body and mind reacts and you can decide from there.:D

My dd is 4 and a level 4. She trains only 2 times a week for 1.5 hours. Next month she will add a level 3 team class that is an additional 2 hours just to work on level 3 routines. She will compete level 3 this year because she is too young to compete level 4 even though she is ready skill wise. I have to drag her from the gym after practice is over but the hours she has right now are working for her because it is definately quality time in the gym. She did a modified schedule at 3 where she did one class of 4/5 and one of preteam for a few weeks to get her adjusted to the additional time. She also goes to school 4 mornings a week. My dd seems to be on the extremely high energy scale though so you know your dd best. I would see how she adjusts and if she is having problems, do the level 2 but cut the practice time a bit. If it is a quality program, she can get what she needs with less time at 4.5. My dd also does a lot of other things because she loves to be active but I don't want gymnastics to be her only focus at 4. (She wouldn't mind but she engoys the other activities too.)

Thanks for all the responses! And Happyfacetwin, no I am not in Australia:) If you were wondering because of my location..I am in the US in the desert:)

My dd is very high energy, and she is the type who never complains, so I have to really work to pull things out of her and watch her behavior to see how a class is affecting for her. We'll go for it and see how she does. So far she loves gymnastics--says she loves the stretching, and practices all the time at home. She's already getting a six-pack--whoa! She also does swimming once a week, and soon she'll be doing non-competitive soccer. I actually think the gymnastics is good for her and helps to combat some of the dramatic "princessy" phase she's going through now:sigh:

Thanks for the welcome!

-theinnerlight

Personally I think if they're willing to work on flexibility, it can be developed to a point. I am not very flexible but after more than a decade of gymnastics can easily do R/L oversplits. Middle is still not so good, but sufficient. To me the muscle type is more important than natural flexibility. They need to get enough flexibility, especially for girl's gymnastics. But if they have the muscle type for gymnastics, it should be possible to develop flexibility. I have a friend who grew up doing gymnastics with me and was a very inflexible child...by high school she was a L10 rhythmic gymnast (for those unfamiliar with that it requires much more flexibility than artistic).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back