New here

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! I am new here. I have been lurking around to get a feel for the site and thought I might as well jump in and participate. My daughter is a level 4 gymnast. Our trip down "gymnastics lane" started with cheering and a friendship. Two summers ago she decided to cheer for the town pop-warner football with a friend of hers. She saw that her friend (who has been doing gymnastics since 2, pre-pre-team then pre-team) could do "cool" things. So she asked if she could take gymnastics lessons to learn to do some of the things her friend could do.

We signed up for recreation classes at the end of October, 2007. The next week, they posted signs for open-tryouts for their team program (in the past they primarly hand-picked the kids for their competitive programs). She decided she wanted to tryout, but the tryouts were in less than 6 weeks and she could not do anything (and trust me when I say she couldn't do anything). She did not have one bar skill (not even a pull-over), couldn't do a cartwheel, handstand, nothing. But, we felt it was our job to encourage her choice while at the same time preparing her that most likely should would not be chosen.

Well, much to our surprise in Jan 2008, we received word that she had been chosen for level 4 team. She was over the top-thrilled and we were apprehensive. The only reasons that I can think they took her were
1.) She showed no fear when they asked her to do anything at tryout
2.) They knew she had supportive parents.

I think initially some of the other parents were not too thrilled as their daughters had worked their way up the ranks so to speak and along come new kids taken right from "rec" classes to join them. On the first day of practice (Feb 2008), I could see why. Emma was SOO far behind them. I didn't think she would ever catch up or be ready to compete. She was fairly strong but as inflexible as they come.

Their first meet was September 2008 and she competed everything but floor (her ROBHS was still shakey). By October, she was competing all events. Initially her scores were low, but started to improve as the season progressed. They held her back to compete level 4 again (she is now 8 yrs old) which I think was a wise choice. She really needed this year to clean up the newly acquired skills. Her best and favorite event is bars (she ended and started the year with a 9.45). She is currently struggling with vault and got her lowest score ever last meet YIKES!

Anyway, thanks if you have stuck with me this long. I have some video of her last meet but am not sure if I am allowed to post it just yet.

Thanks!

Welcome. I have a 10 yr level 7. Her meet season doesn't begin until Jan. I can't wait, especially after reading everyone's meet reports.

Welcome to the board! This is a great resource for advice, encouragement, friendship and even bragging!

My daughter also joined team through a tryout close to 4 years ago and has flourished in the gym.

I can't wait to hear more about you daughter and her gymnastics journey!

Welcome! This is a great place. I have a 7 year old, she is doing level 4 again this year as well, at a different gym and she really needed the extra time to polish things, etc, too. She is just finally starting to put things all together.

welcome!:)

I also have an 8 y.o. "2nd" year L4 and we have our first meet of the season next weekend!

Thank you all for the welcome. I can't wait to get to know everyone better. In addition to my 8 yo L4 gymmie, I have a set of 2 yo twins that just started in their own gymnastics class and are LOVING it! They are just so excited to finally be able to go onto the floor at "Emma's gym!" It will be an interesting ride if they also decide to continue.... I think we'll need to get another job to support them all! LOL

Welcome! I'm a mom of 4, 2boys, 2 girls. Only one gymmie. This is a great board with so many wonderful people! It is so funny reading your post! I too have an Emma who is also 8 years old. Although their road to gymnastics was different they are very similar! My Emma is crazy about bars! Always her best event. Totally STRONG, not flexible at all. Actually has to really work at it. Her least favotie event is vault. Well, last year she might argue that it was beam because of that darn cartwheel!

Good luck with level 4! We enjoyed watching Emma's videos! She is an awesome gymnast and she sure has come a long way in a short amount of time! We loved her bars!

hi and welcome to CB! You will find lots of friendly parents with lots of good advice and encouragement

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back