New here!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nellie123

Hi everyone! I already posted something like this on the introductions thread, but figured I'd also post here since I'd be on this part of the forum the most.
I'm Leah, and I'm 14. I'm hoping to start gymnastics next school year but still need to talk it over with my mom.

I have a few questions!
1) How can I become more flexible? I'm not very at the moment :eek:
2)Does anyone have any experience with Granite State Gymnastics?
3) How can I convince my mom that although I won't get to the super high levels that gymnastics is still worth it?
and
4)any other tips for someone just starting out?
Thanks, I hope to get to know some of you! :D

Hi! Welcome to the ChalkBucket!

1} Stretch EVERY DAY! :D Do all kinds of stretches; splits, bridges, toe-touches, everything! Don't worry, I've been doing gymnastics for 5 years and my splits are awful xD
2} No, never heard of it, sorry :(
3} Tell her that it looks like a lot of fun and you want to try it! She'll probably let you. If she says it's dangerous, remind her that you won't be going into, like, Elite. xD And also remind her that the coaches know what they're doing and they know when you're ready to do stuff, and they can spot you.
4} Have fun and try to enjoy it! You might be put in a class with younger kids, depending on if there is a teen beginner/adult beginner class in your area. Don't worry about your age, just think about all the cool skills you'll get to do :)

I hope you get to enjoy gymnastics for many years to come! :D

Welcome to the Chalk Bucket (CB)!!!

1) Stretch, stretch, stretch!!! Make everything in your life a stretch. When your walking up the stairs, turn it into a stretch somehow. Or better yet, fall asleep in your splits (once you get them, they are really comfortable)

2) I've never heard of it.

3) Try to show her that your ready for this. Tell her that it's a good way for you to get in shape, AND if you decide that you don't like it after a year, it'll help you transfer into other sports.

4) Don't worry about age, I'm a level 8 and I'm 13. A couple of the girls are older than me, some are younger. There will always be someone better than you, and you'll always be better than someone else.

Merp. I read Question #3 wrong, but I can't edit my post.

Here's a better answer:

3} Tell her that it looks like fun and that you really want to try it. Let her know that gymnastics isn't just about getting into the high levels. Gymnastics can help you learn stress management and it can help you learn to deal with tough situations. It's also good for getting and shape and it's tons of fun! :D

Thank you!! I'm still talking to my parents about doing gymnastic next year, but I think I will be able to as I am not doing any other sports (other than dog agility) and because the gym is very close.

I'm getting a LOT more flexible though! When I'm my legs are in a V while sitting on the floor (IDK what it's called) I can put my head to each knee. Before this summer I couldn't even touch my toes! I'm super excited.

Welcome! Your flexibility, practice practice PRACTICE! With everything else, unless you're naturally flexible. Just sit on the floor and stretch. Stretch ALL the time. Just be careful.
2) I've not heard anything bad about granite state (there are a few other NH ppl on this board, but I don't think any of us go there). . I did have a friend years ago who went there, and I remember her being fairly advanced at 12 (or it looked that way to me!). Are you looking at hookset or bow? Because there are gyms in concord and manchester as well. However Check out their website on the nh-usag website
3) tel her you just want to give it a try! And even if you don't make it to a super high level, granite state seems to be fairly open to teens on team as well if that is a goal of yours.
4) biggest peice of advice? HAVE FUN!

Welcome! Your flexibility, practice practice PRACTICE! With everything else, unless you're naturally flexible. Just sit on the floor and stretch. Stretch ALL the time. Just be careful.
2) I've not heard anything bad about granite state (there are a few other NH ppl on this board, but I don't think any of us go there). . I did have a friend years ago who went there, and I remember her being fairly advanced at 12 (or it looked that way to me!). Are you looking at hookset or bow? Because there are gyms in concord and manchester as well. However Check out their website on the nh-usag website
3) tel her you just want to give it a try! And even if you don't make it to a super high level, granite state seems to be fairly open to teens on team as well if that is a goal of yours.
4) biggest peice of advice? HAVE FUN!

GSG looks like a good place, although its hard to tell just from a site :) I would go to Bow, its close. I've looked at the one in Concord (Flipz?) and it also looks great and is slightly closer. The classes are a bit more expensive so I'll have to talk it over with my parents. Have you heard anything about them?

Thank you for your advice!!! :)

Also, does anyone have any experience with Nix Gymnastics? They are slightly farther away but not by much.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back