WAG New level 4 and 5 beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
I just have a quick question about the level 4 and 5 beam routines.
Right after the mount there is kind of an 'arm circles' thing as you stand up. I learned the level 5 you do a full circle and then pose verse level 4 is kind of a one arm then pose.

The videos are posted here,
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=dfvDj38U5CI

And on the same account is the level 4 beam.

Basically I learned that little arm circled thing as they stand up opposite as what they're doing.

Gosh that was confusing. Did anyone understand?
Are they doing it correct in the video or is it opposite?

At our gym this morning at workout, my coach showed us the new routines. TALK ABOUT DANCE!!! Still a little confused about some arm and foot positions on both beam and floor, but hopefully over the summer it will come more easily:) -Anna

If you are a righty...
You circle the left arm at the elbow palm up to a forward middle position THEN bend the right arm and flip wrist so palm is out and fingers are pointing toward left elbow. The rhythm is 1-2 or "circle and flip".

This is the case in BOTH level 4 & 5.

Be careful learning the routines based in the videos. Although they are done fairly nicely- I do notice a few text errors.

The book is the GOSPEL! Learn from your coaching staff & refer to your book as you are teaching.

Several text errors in those videos...especially regarding arm paths!
Thank you, because, my dd watched it and told, that at several spots, that is not what her coach told her to do with her arms. She should me the correct arms. That is too bad, those weren't corrected in the video.

IMO do not let your kids watch these videos and train at home from them, analize them etc, leave it up to your coaches. Nothing would piss my DD's coaches off more than coming in to practice having *learned* pieces of the new routines from YouTube!!!

I noticed the guy in the video corrected an arm position once in the level 4 floor routine after the straddle jump. other than that I think it is the gymnasts in the video adding a little dance to the routine :) I was confused about all of this and went over with some one about it and the text is correct. Always follow the text!

IMO do not let your kids watch these videos and train at home from them, analize them etc, leave it up to your coaches. Nothing would piss my DD's coaches off more than coming in to practice having *learned* pieces of the new routines from YouTube!!!
If your kid has half a brain they know it isn't correct, nor will they what they see on YouTube and argue with their coach about it. You need to give people more credit. My dd was insistent that the hands were wrong and stated "that is not what the book said". LOL We were watching how similar the level 4 and 5 routines were, and the differences between leg positions in the 2 levels. When the other routines go up on YouTube, we will watch those too!

I didn't see any text errors!!

Are you a coach teaching these routines? Did you read the text three times like Cheryl Jarrett Recommends? One huge one is the fact that the arms into & out of the fish pose are incorrect. Arms also lower to side before the leap & before the 1/1 turn. She is in high diagonal in several places she should be in side middle.

Yes - PLEASE read the text provided by USA Gymnastics and don't teach these routines based on these videos. I don't think these videos were meant to be used as teaching tools, but rather for judges to learn the shorthand related to the new routines....

As far as the general population wanting to see "what the new routines look like", this isn't a horrible example, but coaches need to be READING THE TEXT. Don't jeopardize your athletes' scores by teaching routines based on what you saw in a YouTube video. Seriously.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back