New looking for advice - speaking to coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

minnie_mouse

Proud Parent
Hi I am new and have been reading lots of posts.

My daughter is in a competitive club and I would like to speak to the coaches on her development. But for some reason i find it very daunting speaking to them. I hear all these stories of pushy mums etc so end up backing away incase they think that. However I would really like to discuss how she is getting on plus a couple of small issues. Does anyone else feel the same? If anyone has advice on approaching them please let me know.

Many thanks

Make an appointment via their chosen method- email is usually best ime.

In the email ask when would be convenient to come in and have a quick chat about how she's getting on. It's usually before or after practice, or during warm up/conditioning when kids can be left to fewer coaches.

Good luck! We've all been there :)

General questions about development and goals are not pushy and coaches are generally receptive to these questions. These are the types of questions that make coaches roll their eyes:
When will my kid move up? (It's been my experience that coaches do NOT like to put a timeframe on advancement. Quick answer: she'll move up when she's ready)
Why doesn't my kid get as much attention as so-n-so? (MOST coaches are attentive to individual gymnast needs. This question will make a coach get defensive quick, fast, & in a hurry)
What level will she compete because so-n-so is competing level X? Why is she not progressing as quickly as so-n-so? (Definitely avoid comparing your child to another in the program! HUGE eye roll)
Maintaining a positive outlook on their program and their abilities will keep the atmosphere of the meeting constructive & will get you farther in the long run.

Definitely been there!! It is tricky but I would agree that to send an email asking when you can talk usually works best. Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back