Parents New/lower level parents...Thank you for the reminder!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SurpriseGymMom

Coach
Proud Parent
I’m sitting here reading posts about lower level skills and worries and found myself thinking “oh jeez, it is *only* a [insert lower level skill here], no big deal at all,”. Except it is. And I had kinda forgotten that it is. I mean, I coach developmental and compulsory gymnasts so I *know* that those skills are big deals but since I see them and coach them daily I just don’t think about it that way anymore.
I want to thank you for the refresher on how important each and every one of these milestones are, and how important they are to each gymnast no matter what level. It is easy to lose track when you’re dealing with upper level Optional skills. You become a bit jaded in a way, at this point the skills are scary and so many things come into play... it is great to be reminded of how all levels of gymnastics are a BIG deal when you are there! (And my DD is only a L8, I still have far scarier skills to come..! )

Anyone who thinks lower level gymnastics isn't a big deal can come over and help me teach 25 straight arm front hip circles a year. #relatable

(I've been every level in gymnastics. Whatever they're trying to get at the time is "the hardest thing" :) it's different for everyone).

Anyone who thinks lower level gymnastics isn't a big deal can come over and help me teach 25 straight arm front hip circles a year. #relatable

(I've been every level in gymnastics. Whatever they're trying to get at the time is "the hardest thing" :) it's different for everyone).
Yes!! My daughter is learning front hip circles and kips right now. When she first got her pullover and back hip circle without a spot it was a big deal and when she gets her kip and front hip she will be just as excited. Each skill, even the lower level ones takes a lot of work and practice and each skill is an important building block to those high level skills.

One of my favorite things was watching my DS compete in his first ever meet - my DD was some 4 seasons in by that point. For my DD, I hadn’t appreciated just how difficult it was to even remember the routines - so much focus (funneled down from the gym) was on scores and placements and other drama.

I saw it with my son, though - coach reminding them to salute, where to stand, etc. It was the cutest thing. All those little things had to be learned along with the skills and routines. I still have a much different view of my DS and MAG than I do my DD/WAG. I am able to appreciate it so much better.

And it was like I stepped into a way back machine when overhearing the little level 3 moms at our home meet this year. I just wanted to tell them to relax and enjoy it. :) It goes by more quickly than it seems! Now DD is a giant ball of stress over level 8 skills, and I’m not at all ready for this season’s roller coaster (much because of 13y/o DD’s expectations + hormones... eek!)

I still remember my astonishment when my guy was a brand new L4 and the coach told the parents that the skills are all very simple and easy, so they'd have no trouble mastering them and moving to L5 the following year. "If this is what he calls easy, OMG, what is going to be HARD?"

Being on CB definitely helps me to relax a little more and enjoy the "small stuff". Right now DD is getting stressed about connecting her kip to front hip circle on her level 3 bars without pausing and it's a BIG Deal to her. I know that the skills get bigger and harder very quickly, so I'm able to not stress out with her.

My little one got her robhs only a couple weeks ago and yesterday pronounced it the "easiest thing ever." These days it's the chin up pullover she's "never going to get." I have to remind her that a few months ago it was the robhs that was hard and the back walkover that had just been achieved. Everything seems easy once you know how to do it :)

That's how it is in life in general, right? I mean, I remember homework in high school being the "hardest thing ever" until I got to college and had to write massive research papers... and then I got a job and suddenly it wasn't just a grade riding on my work anymore... it goes on and on. It's always a good thing to keep perspective and to enjoy each moment as it comes!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back