DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

usuallyconfused

Proud Parent
Hi! I have an 11 year old who does AAU. I need to learn more about how all of this works, because currently I'm just frustrated about it all the time, and dont feel like my daughter is benefitting. But she loves it, so I am trying.

Welcome. My daughter did a little AAU at the start of her gymnastics career. What I've learned here is that AAU varies by state/region. In my state, it AAU is used as more of a low-key team experience (similar to Xcel), but others have reported more rigorous AAU programs (at least at lower levels) in their state. In any event, feel free to post your questions and vent your frustrations! I've personally learned a ton here by asking questions!

Welcome. My daughter did a little AAU at the start of her gymnastics career. What I've learned here is that AAU varies by state/region. In my state, it AAU is used as more of a low-key team experience (similar to Xcel), but others have reported more rigorous AAU programs (at least at lower levels) in their state. In any event, feel free to post your questions and vent your frustrations! I've personally learned a ton here by asking questions!

Thank you, I guess that is where my confusion and frustration comes in. I dont know if we are low-key or rigorous. I was expecting a more rigorous program but maybe that is where my problem is. We pay $175 a month in tuition, this includes our competition fees, we then of course pay for uniforms, travel etc. Our closest competition is an hour and a half away, it is not uncommon for us to have to drive 4hrs to find an AAU meet, it's just kind of what we have to do right now to grow.
We practice 4 hours a week, 2hrs twice a week.
I personally feel for the cost and time we are putting in we should be practicing more and receive better communication?
I will also note that this a "new program" they are building. No I am not a coach but it is not unreasonable for us to have opinions and for the team to make needed changes at this point.
My question is, I guess do I have reasonable expectations? Or do I need to look for something else at a higher expense to get something more rigorous? Or should I plan on adding something extra until the program grows. Thank you.

Where we live Rec pays what you are paying for team. If you and your daughter are looking for more I think you need to be willing to accept more expense and surely more practice. If you daughter is looking for fun a low pressure gymnastics experience you seem to be in a acceptable place. For comparison I pay 526 a month for tuition (20 Hours a week) and competition fees. Warm up, leo and equipment are all additional fees.

Gymnastics is a crazy confusing expensive endeavor. As a new parent your journey will be long and confusing. Your emotions will fluctuate between joy and anger. At times you will feel you have the next Olympian and other times that your child is struggling to keep up. With time you will learn that the journey is that of the gymnast and you, the parent, are simply along for the ride. I have gone through many feelings watching my daughter take her journey, She is just freshly 12. Yesterday was her third meet of the season. She got injured on vault was taped and pushed on through the meet. I felt worried, angry, and helpless all at the same time.

Good Luck on your decision

Tuition varies widely by location (there is a recent thread on the topic), but 4 hrs/week for $175 seems on par with what I've seen. I pay about $600/month for 20 hrs/week, not including comp fees, etc. At 4 hours per week, you are probably looking at a more low-key team experience.

Like I said, AAU seems to vary widely by state/region. My state has a state-based recreational team track that falls under the umbrella of AAU. This means there are quite a few AAU meets around me, but they are usually small (often held within the host gym vs. a separate venue). However, the emergence of Xcel has resulted in many gyms moving away from this state-based AAU track. For example, my current gym has only USAG programs -- JO and Xcel. Old gym has all three tracks. In any event, I'm not surprised that you have to travel to find AAU meets depending on where you are.

The million dollar question is what do you and your daughter want from gymnastics? Does she want to do gymnastics plus other activities and sports? How much time and money do you want to commit as a family? If you are not sure about the answers to these questions, then maybe sit tight and see how this year plays out. If it's a brand new program at your gym, then there will probably be some growing pains at first. Is it your daughter's first year competing? Are there other team options within your gym?

As far as communication goes, it seems this is a common complaint among gym parents. My gym is pretty good about communicating administrative information (schedule changes, meet info, etc.), but communication regarding progress and skills is pretty non-existent unless I ask.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! Fom both the responses and reading other threads, I have both a better idea of what is good/bad, to be accepted/not normal, and definitely what questions I need to be asking of myself and my daughter!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back