WAG New NCAA Recruiting Rules

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think it is a good start. The most promising part of the article is that they said this is phase 1 and in the next phase they are going to look at phone contacts, verbal and written offers. I do like that they closed the loophole for camps. And, I think it makes a whole lot more sense to be able to do official visits Jr year so that families aren't all paying out of pocket for all the visits. The way it is now, everyone is using their official visits after they've already committed and/or signed.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...ision-i-council-adopts-recruiting-legislation

So it sounds like recruiting at camps is out and official visits can start Junior year.

Do we think this is going to change anything or limit early recruiting in any way?
Hmmm well it says the recruiting conversations can’t happen at camp. That, alone, won’t fix much since the conversation can happen leading up to or immediately after.

However, if they do follow up with the next phase as stated, that could make a difference as it mentioned addressing all communications.

Hmmm well it says the recruiting conversations can’t happen at camp. That, alone, won’t fix much since the conversation can happen leading up to or immediately after.

However, if they do follow up with the next phase as stated, that could make a difference as it mentioned addressing all communications.
Well it aldo says conversations can’t happen before Sept of their Jr year. Camps had been used as a loophole in the past.

Well it aldo says conversations can’t happen before Sept of their Jr year. Camps had been used as a loophole in the past.
That’s not how I read it. Looks to me like they can still contact your coach after a camp and communicate that way or also that athletes could contact them.

A 12 year old just committed to Boise State. I imagine it's a pretty lose commit on the coaches end. Still a little crazy.
I think no matter how many rules and regulations are in place, coaches are going to find ways to work around them.

A 12 year old just committed to Boise State. I imagine it's a pretty lose commit on the coaches end. Still a little crazy.
I think no matter how many rules and regulations are in place, coaches are going to find ways to work around them.

I have said it before and I will say it again - this is not worth the paper its printed on.

Oh, there is no paper? Then, frankly, there is not committment. Until the offer of a scholarship is in writing, it is not "real". A 12-year old making a verbal committment is just dumb. So many things can happen, not the least of which is that the kid might not have the academics to get into the school. A 12-year old is years from taking ACT/SAT and there is nothing that guarantees that said 12-year old can score high enough to get into the school.

I have said it before and I will say it again - this is not worth the paper its printed on.

Oh, there is no paper? Then, frankly, there is not committment. Until the offer of a scholarship is in writing, it is not "real". A 12-year old making a verbal committment is just dumb. So many things can happen, not the least of which is that the kid might not have the academics to get into the school. A 12-year old is years from taking ACT/SAT and there is nothing that guarantees that said 12-year old can score high enough to get into the school.
I understand that very well, I was just saying that the crazy of the recruiting game will continue regardless of rules put into place.

... I’ve changed my view on Boise!

I wouldn't be so quick to judge BSU, just yet. Does anyone even know if this so-called committment is anything more than a starry-eyed gymnast saying something that then is blown out of proportion? I have seen many a gymnast say something like "I am going to go to xyz university" and that is then taken as a "verbal committment" when in fact it was nothing more that a child's dream. Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming; but until I hear it from the school that they have a verbal'd an athlete I don't typically give it much weight.

It does seem a bit crazy, has she even competed level ten yet?

It looks like she just competed level 9. I don’t quite understand why a college would recruit a 12 yr old level 9? It looks like she did qualify for HOPES (compulsory) so no doubt she’s talented but, still.

Reactions: sce
...I don’t quite understand why a college would recruit a 12 yr old level 9? ...

That's just it, I will bet that they didn't actually "recruit" her; she may have gone to westerns/easterns and had interest expressed by a coach and now she thinks she has a committment.

Reactions: SMH
I wouldn't be so quick to judge BSU, just yet. Does anyone even know if this so-called committment is anything more than a starry-eyed gymnast saying something that then is blown out of proportion? I have seen many a gymnast say something like "I am going to go to xyz university" and that is then taken as a "verbal committment" when in fact it was nothing more that a child's dream. Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming; but until I hear it from the school that they have a verbal'd an athlete I don't typically give it much weight.

Have you ever heard or seen a school remark on a verbal commitment from someone not a senior in high school? If you have it was a NCAA violation, so don't hold your breath waiting on a confirmation or denial from Boise. But i agree that so many kids are confused that it's possible the kid said something that was misunderstood. It's also possible the "recruiting website" misunderstood. It is in their financial interest to make it seem like those who use their websites are more likely to get scholarships. I personally think the websites are a waste of money, but some people seem to think they are useful.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back