WAG New Ohashi blog

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just when I thought it couldn't get any sadder:(......after reading these entries, I wonder what kind of relationship she has with her mother...I'm sure Valeri was all over the mother too for "letting Katelyn get fat" (even though she wasn't) but at some point, you protect your kid...

...I'm still in stunned disbelief that Ohashi survived BOTH Valeri at WOGA and the Fongs at GAGE..

Yes it's horribly sad!!! I'm very happy for her that she is still competing....I am guessing she is happy since she feels comfortable posting these blogs.

Reactions: sce
This raises very interesting points, and i'm really pleased to read the blog.

I suppose my question would be is it worth it? I have read comments from Nadia about her career, she never really talks about the detail, just says she can't complain because look at what she achieved.

We all say how we wouldn't allow our kids to be treated this way, but sometimes you barely notice, the coach doesn't speak to you much, and your child swears they're ok. It's not uncommon for children to be abused for years and their parents not know- in fact it's a common abuser trick to manipulate the child into not telling their parents. The kids think it is their fault...

I had this kind of coach. I quit. Just refused to do gymnastics anymore. I still don't think my mum knows what went on in that gym. She knew he had a reputation for being harsh and tough on kids, but he produced olympians.

I suppose it might be worth it for the one who does win that olympic gold medal. But for the 50 others that are broken along the way?

We all say how we wouldn't allow our kids to be treated this way, but sometimes you barely notice, the coach doesn't speak to you much, and your child swears they're ok. It's not uncommon for children to be abused for years and their parents not know- in fact it's a common abuser trick to manipulate the child into not telling their parents. The kids think it is their fault...

I had this kind of coach. I quit. Just refused to do gymnastics anymore. I still don't think my mum knows what went on in that gym. She knew he had a reputation for being harsh and tough on kids, but he produced olympians.

I suppose it might be worth it for the one who does win that olympic gold medal. But for the 50 others that are broken along the way?

And that is why we switched gyms. I heard of things happening and then saw it for myself and got my kids the heck out of there.

I feel badly for Katelyn and others who have endured worse.

I have a "thick" little gymnast and I could not imagine someone treating her the way Katelyn was treated. Sounds like her coaches were the biggest offenders but her parents were no innocent parties either. I'm so happy that Katelyn has embraced her curves. Watching her NCAA meets, she is always smiling, happy and she looks like she's having a ton of fun with gymnastics.

As someone who was weighed daily by a high level coach in my teens, and who did my sport at the national level (equivalent of elite) and had a Division I Scholarship, I can assure you that it is not worth spending your entire 20s struggling with anorexia and bulimia. For those who have kids who are really, really good... It Is Not Worth It. Do not let any coach do this to your kid.

As someone who was weighed daily by a high level coach in my teens, and who did my sport at the national level (equivalent of elite) and had a Division I Scholarship, I can assure you that it is not worth spending your entire 20s struggling with anorexia and bulimia. For those who have kids who are really, really good... It Is Not Worth It. Do not let any coach do this to your kid.

I could not agree more! This kind of treatment can cause a lifetime of struggles with body image, self worth, and of course struggles with weight.

Based on Katelyn's blogs, I find it very disappointing for Valeri to be named National Coordinator. I hope he won't use the same harsh weight-bashing tactics on the national team members. I totally get that being lean is crucial to the sport but Katelyn was already tiny during her elite days and it sounds like she was getting no nutritional guidance-just "Lose weight or else!"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back