New parent/first post

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

StiveyGirl

I've been lurking around here for about a year but just decided to join.

I'm Kim. I have 5 kiddos (3 bio, 2 step) but joined here because of my DD6 (March). She has been in gymnastics since the summer of 2005. In the summer of 2007 she asked to do more so we moved to the gymnastics program at the YMCA. She was put on pre-team at that time. She did a small local meet at the Y as a fundraiser and then an unsanctioned meet of about 1000 gymnasts in January and LOVED it. She was asked to move up to level 4 about a month ago and has been practicing at that schedule but then was just asked to move up to train with the level 5 girls but compete at level 4.

I'm just trying to gain as much information as I can. I want to find out how other girls at this age handle the training schedule. The level 4's train on Tues and Thurs for 2 hours each night. Starting at level 5 they train on Mon, Tues, Thurs for 3 1/2 hours each night. So, as you can see, the difference in the schedule jumps quite a bit. I'm trying to decide for sure if I want her to train at level 5 since that's a lot of time for a 6 year old. She loves the amount of time she gets to go but I just don't know if she can keep it up.

Anyway, I'm off to go look around.

Welcome to the CB!!! I think the L5 hours would be too much for a 6yo especially one that is just getting introduced to team. Would they train that number of hours during the school year or is this a summer schedule? USAG doesn't allow a child to compete L5 until they have their 7th birthday, so she could use this year to do less hours, compete L4 and see how she really likes it all.

Does the gym have the L4s work on L5 skills? At 4 hours/week, probably not alot of time for that at least during a meet season. Did the coach say why they wanted her to train L5? As is said often around here, this sport is a marathon, not a sprint. Don't worry about taking your time and moving her along at a reasonable pace.

IS there any way she could practice two days with level four and then just one day with level five? My dd is only 4 (five in a couple months) but that seems like a lot. Specially since they are just getting into the groove of school. We will cut back first semester next year since she is starting kindergarden and its full day. Its alot on a little body. :)

Maybe she could do one private lesson a week and then just stick with the level fours.

Opps, mistype. The level 4's train on Tues and Thurs for 3 1/2 (not 2) hours each night so the difference between 4 and 5 is one extra night of 3 1/2 hours.

I was thinking about having her try the 10 1/2 hours/week through the summer to see how she handles it and then once school starts and if it seems like too much, take her back down to train with the L4's at 7 hours/week.

Welcome to the CB! My dd is also 6 and just finished her first year at L4. Our training schedule was MWF 4-8 p.m., for a total of 12 hours a week. It was difficult at first as my dd was only 5 when she started the schedule and was having a hard time coping with both school (full day kindergarten) and gym. She has gotten used to it, though, and is doing better with getting up in the morning and not being too tired at night. The 10.5 hours over the summer doesn't sound extreme to me and it seems worth it to give it a try. My only concern would be that if she is going to compete L4, she should spend at least some time training with her team mates. After all, those are the girls she will compete with and ultimately move to L5 with. Our L4 team has really bonded over the year - as is natural given that they spend so much time together. I think the idea of L4 twice a week and L5 once is ideal. She'll get the extra hours, plus get to work up on the one day, but still get to know her team mates and work on the L4 routines with them on the other days. Anyway, just wanted to chime in and let you know that my 6 year old has done fine with 12 hours a week.

Meg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back