New Parent of Gymnast here

• Thread starter littlekateskate
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

littlekateskate

Hi. Just wanted to introduce myself. I am a mother of three very little children. The oldest is 4 :) She is my aspiring gymnast! (she will be five in two months). My daughter has been figure skating for two years now and continues to figure skate.

We started gymnastics private lessons basically for stretching and balance to help with her skating. She however has found a LOVE for the sport. She is in a beginner gymnastics class (we skipped the preschool/kindergarden class).

I would LOVE all help, suggestions, for things she can do and practice at home! Any bit of information would be helpful.

I know nothing of the sport other than how to do a cartwheel myself. So I truly would love anything. I.E. How much a day should she stretch is there too much, exercises on a trampoline to do, where to get cheap at home equipment, ect ect!

Thanks so much!

Welcome!

I don't have any suggestions for at home practice. My kiddo does practice at home, but I just let her flip around on her own. She likes to put on music and her favorite leotard.

What level is your daughter skating at?

Welcome to the Chalkbucket, there are lots of parents here just like you. :) Hope you enjoy our great community.

As for things to do at home, just regular play should be plenty of activity for a growing 4 year old. Playing in the park, swimming, bike riding and rolling around on the floor with the little ones. In the adult world we would call that cross training, keeping the whole body fit through many sports, a great idea for gymnasts too.

I would leave the gymnastics and the coaching in the gym, that's why you pay for all that knowledge!

Just be careful if your DD tries to do the indoor gymnastics thing, we have quite a few threads on injuries sustained from hitting body parts on furniture, ouch :eek:.

Welcome !!!

I agree with bog - I'd leave the gymnastics to the coaches and the gym - those tables seem to jump out from nowhere sometimes !!

Welcome to the CB:D I am in agreement with not too much practicing at home & certainly no new skills at home (it really depends on how much time is spent in the gym). If your dd really wants to practice I always say Handstands, handstands, handstands :D. Other basics like backward, fwd rolls, cartwheels lefty/righty can be fun and safe at home as well.

Just be careful if your DD tries to do the indoor gymnastics thing, we have quite a few threads on injuries sustained from hitting body parts on furniture, ouch :eek:.

Dang!!! You mean the living room is not a gym :confused: My DD told me her coach said she had to practice on the couch at least 23 hours/day!!! :yikes:

I agree with Bog.... Relax...

She's 4, just let her have fun. It is a long road, many describe as a marathon, not a sprint. I would not buy equipment or have her "stretch" at home. It is not helpful, and can even be harmful. At this age, it is just for fun. Oh, and trampolines at home are for :jump: not for training.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back