WAG New Recruiting Rules?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This has nothing to do with my DD, but I'm curious-- does anyone know how this'll affect homeschooled gymnasts who decide to graduate early? I know Trinity Thomas and now Maile O'Keefe decided to graduate early and start college at 17. Could a homeschooler or their parents somehow show that their child is skipping a year of high school so they could be recruited earlier?
Yeah, I know a good number of homeschoolers who graduate early for various reasons, most legitimate. My own (non gym) DD will be 15 in her senior year. I could definitely see how this could be abused, but it all comes back to integrity. Most of these rules seem to run on the honor system.

Wow. I don’t see how she could be considered to be above the rules. I don’t get it. I am sure she does great work, but I don’t get how a recruiting service would be able to contact college coaches and not the club coaches themselves. I am sure she means well, as I know many are happy with her services. But jeez

I think the response above is accurate that the college coach can't respond, the recruiter can do what they want, but the college coach can't make a conversation about a recruit that is underage. It certainly will make June 15 a day like college acceptance day, good and bad for some and will let you know where your gymnast stands. There should also be more open spots. My daughter was very average level 10 as a freshman and steadily improved, it's given her time to really decide where she wants to go and fortunately the two schools she's interested in are calling her. Fingers crossed, but it is less stressful. I will say, that despite the early signings, there's been a lot of movement this year and some openings which benefit the late bloomers.

That's weird because she made a point that she and her agency do not make calls on behalf of your gymnast but believes it's up to the gymnast to make contact. Not sure if that's changed because of this new rule. It's one of the reasons we didn't hire her. I don't need someone to assess what schools my daughter is interested in, but would have considered hiring someone to make the calls if they were credible. If a recruitment agency can make calls on behalf of a gymnast then any person can that is not a coach/relative. Sounds like a ridiculous loophole.

She still made it a point in the webinar to state that she doesn’t believe their role is to pitch gymnasts to coaches and she wants to empower the gymnasts to do their own recruiting. Yes, she stated she thinks they can still speak to coaches about athletes but she made it sound like that would be few and far between. She also stated that she thinks college camps will be very important now (more so than before) and choosing the right camps will be crucial.

Definitely agree with the camps being important- will definitely increase the expenses associated with this sport.

Is it any wonder ncaa sports are sometimes considered affirmative action for the affluent?

She still made it a point in the webinar to state that she doesn’t believe their role is to pitch gymnasts to coaches and she wants to empower the gymnasts to do their own recruiting. Yes, she stated she thinks they can still speak to coaches about athletes but she made it sound like that would be few and far between. She also stated that she thinks college camps will be very important now (more so than before) and choosing the right camps will be crucial.

Definitely agree with the camps being important- will definitely increase the expenses associated with this sport.

Is it any wonder ncaa sports are sometimes considered affirmative action for the affluent?

Definitely, most olympic sports too.

I noticed a contradiction in the webinar. At one point she said that coaches could no longer visit gyms who, say, don’t have any level 10s old
enough to be recruited.

Then, later in the webinar she says that there is nothing wrong with “evaluating” younger girls in the gyms so long as they aren’t having conversations.

I noticed a contradiction in the webinar. At one point she said that coaches could no longer visit gyms who, say, don’t have any level 10s old
enough to be recruited.

Then, later in the webinar she says that there is nothing wrong with “evaluating” younger girls in the gyms so long as they aren’t having conversations.
I think there is still a lot of gray out there...I didn’t watch it, but someone told me it would take a few weeks to shake it all out, so to speak....

Have you been watching the college cheating scandal? Athletics in the form of scholarships as well as designated recruits is absolutely the domain of the elite. It's really tragic. The playing field is totally uneven.

Aussie here with not much knowledge about recruitment and scholarships for college. But to families \ gymnasts. Attempt all these years + since they are a young age to get into these programs for a hope of becoming an Olympic gymnast or for the hope of getting a scholarship to university ?

Aussie here with not much knowledge about recruitment and scholarships for college. But to families \ gymnasts. Attempt all these years + since they are a young age to get into these programs for a hope of becoming an Olympic gymnast or for the hope of getting a scholarship to university ?
Yup. Some one, some the other, some both. I would say most US gymnasts are on neither path at all, though.

Yup. Some one, some the other, some both. I would say most US gymnasts are on neither path at all, though.
So true. Less than 10% of those who compete L3 will make it to L10 (less than 1% for elite). And thats not taking into consideration all the gymnasts not on the JO path, whether AAU, xcel, or rec. However, if you can make it to L10 regionals, you have a really good shot of joining an NCAA team (all divisions, walk ons included) as long as you are not picky about where you go.

So true. Less than 10% of those who compete L3 will make it to L10 (less than 1% for elite). And thats not taking into consideration all the gymnasts not on the JO path, whether AAU, xcel, or rec. However, if you can make it to L10 regionals, you have a really good shot of joining an NCAA team (all divisions, walk ons included) as long as you are not picky about where you go.

That is actually an incredibly good retention rate. There are very few sports where 10% of athletes make it from entry competitive level, right through to the highest level of pre international competition. Especially considering the hour involved.

@Flippin'A Athletes are evaluated for their grade by their units. If a gymnast earns enough units to be a junior, they are a junior. This happens regularly under current rules because you have had to be a senior-by-units to attend your official. When gymnasts are absent from their officials, it's usually because they do not have enough units to be a senior under NCAA rules.They catch up in time to graduate and make it through the clearinghouse.

I spoke to a few NCAA departments. They tell a consistent interpretation:

No offers to anyone - whether 8th or younger - after May 1 of this year until they are post-sophomore year. There is a big push to get certain 8th and 9th graders to verbal in the next few days. I haven't heard of any 7th grade offers, but who knows.

Gymnasts can attend day and summer camps and talk to coaches, but not about recruiting or "available spots." When gymnasts call coaches, coaches have to ask their graduation year. They have to end the conversation if the gymnast is too young grade-wise.

NCAA coaches can tell club coaches, "We are going to offer a scholarship to your gymnast Susan on July 15 before her junior year." The club coach can reply, "I understand Susan is going to accept your offer on July 15 before her junior year." I don't know if that will actually happen, but NCAA and club coaches can head count and talk about offers and acceptances, so long as they are not real offers and acceptances.

@Flippin'A Athletes are evaluated for their grade by their units. If a gymnast earns enough units to be a junior, they are a junior. This happens regularly under current rules because you have had to be a senior-by-units to attend your official. When gymnasts are absent from their officials, it's usually because they do not have enough units to be a senior under NCAA rules.They catch up in time to graduate and make it through the clearinghouse.

No offers to anyone - whether 8th or younger - after May 1 of this year until they are post-sophomore year. There is a big push to get certain 8th and 9th graders to verbal in the next few days. I haven't heard of any 7th grade offers, but who knows.

Gymnasts can attend day and summer camps and talk to coaches, but not about recruiting or "available spots." When gymnasts call coaches, coaches have to ask their graduation year. They have to end the conversation if the gymnast is too young grade-wise.

NCAA coaches can tell club coaches, "We are going to offer a scholarship to your gymnast Susan on July 15 before her junior year." The club coach can reply, "I understand Susan is going to accept your offer on July 15 before her junior year." I don't know if that will actually happen, but NCAA and club coaches can head count and talk about offers and acceptances, so long as they are not real offers and acceptances.
I was told no 7th graders would be offered at this time.

certainly not in the spirit of the new rules...

We are hearing that the big rush over the next few days are mostly 8th graders... most of the super six type programs have gotten their favorite 9th graders to commit so they are working on 2023s.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense.

We are hearing that the big rush over the next few days are mostly 8th graders... most of the super six type programs have gotten their favorite 9th graders to commit so they are working on 2023s.
I know of one 8th grader that has gotten multiple offers, one from a top 6 team and one from a top 12 team, with a potential 3rd offer coming on Sunday. Big decision for a 13 year old (and no, this is not my daughter, she is in 7th grade and has not received any offers)

Why is there the narrative that most of 2022 is done??

Current Commits 2022 - (9th graders) top 8 programs.

Oklahoma - 2
LSU - 1
UCLA - 2
Denver - 1
Oregon State - 0
michigan - 1
utah - 1
Georgia - 2

There are even fewer commits for programs 9-20.

JrD age group national qualifiers (most are freshman’s, class 2022) in Region 1 has 5 former Elite gymnasts. 0 verbal commits.

Why is there the narrative that most of 2022 is done??

Current Commits 2022 - (9th graders) top 8 programs.

Oklahoma - 2
LSU - 1
UCLA - 2
Denver - 1
Oregon State - 0
michigan - 1
utah - 1
Georgia - 2

There are even fewer commits for programs 9-20.

JrD age group national qualifiers (most are freshman’s, class 2022) in Region 1 has 5 former Elite gymnasts. 0 verbal commits.

They are definitely NOT done with that year, there are many elites in that year and below that are unsigned--they probably have offers. Not to mention very strong JO's. Nobody on this board has the "T" to all the college programs. I'm sure all the top programs have offers out to the Canadian Padurariu, she's even older, a sophomore, and lots more of the junior elites are holding offers that are certainly freshman and younger. Leanne Wong hasn't even committed yet and she's one of US best, a senior elite also a sophomore. My daughter has friends holding offers that are outside the 8th grade class. This is just from my little uninformed brain. I think the new rule will be better for most gymnasts, and the recruiting will be more out in the open, hopefully.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back