New routines? (Australia)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessSyd

Proud Parent
Are the 2020 floor routines for levels 3-6 new routines to the old music, or have they just had the choreography changed slightly to reflect new requirements?

The level 3-4 are the same music. Not sure if there’s an additional song but our gymnasts have the same music. Change in choreography. Not sure about level 6 as we had optional music.

Level 6 no longer have optional routines. They now have the same requirements as LEVEL 4 and 5, where there are two routines to choose form and you must choose one. The old routine is the same as before, and the new one is brand new with new music.

Thank you! That has cleared up some confusion.

I am glad the old level six routine is still around as I really like the music and the choreography.

Level 6 no longer have optional routines. They now have the same requirements as LEVEL 4 and 5, where there are two routines to choose form and you must choose one. The old routine is the same as before, and the new one is brand new with new music.
Thank you for clarifying.

Thank you for clarifying.

This is a really great question you have asked. It would be really interesting to hear what other people have to say about the new changes for levels 3-6.

The routines have only just been released about 1 month ago. If you are a technical member you can see them for yourself by logging onto gymnastics Australia and then going to the benefits tab and then click on WAG ALP music and videos.

If I were you I would be having a look at the videos and text as soon as possible.

In my opinion the routine changes are significant enough that it will take time to get your head around them and remember everything, especially if you need to know everything from level 3-6.

it is really hard to explain it in detail if you have not seen the videos.

On floor:

• Level 3 now have 2 options.
• Level 4 still have the cha cha and whistle routines but it is now mandatory to perform the routine on a strip (can also be done on a diagonal) the choreography has changed a bit.
• Level 5 still has the saint and 6 feet under routines but they have made a few changes so that all the skills are judged from the same positions.

• Level 6 now has 2 options and optional routines are not permitted. The old rock prelude routine has not been changed significantly.

On beam

• the routines have also changed a bit. For example they don’t do the handstand at the end of the beam anymore.

Unfortunately they don’t have any updated videos of vault and bars, although they might add something later.

We were under the impression that choreography would be simplified...sadly not the case. At least deductions for choreography have been minimised.

Changes to level five floor routine are silly, just needed to turn one's start position a 1/4. Happy that level four beam is not squished on one length.

Apparently level six flyaway is from the first swing after the underswing- would be nice to have confirmed rules to work with - some kids need more time to adapt to changes.

Yes the flyaway is now supposed to be done straight after the underswing, however they do allow you to do an extra swing without defection (the same as what it used to be). The only difference is that the extra swing will the judged for execution errors.

I don’t think they have done a good job to communicate the changes well in advance. Yes they had proposed changes but it is hard to know what to work without without official confirmation of the changes.

Our girls switched to training it on the first swing a while back.

My daughter was oddly freaked out by the handstand switching to the middle of the beam, which probably means it was a good change. I guess after many years of doing it right on the end it must feel really different.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back