MAG New routines/changes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Lots of changes, should know more detail in few days. The big ones are that the pommel horse part of the compulsory routines is going away (only mushroom), vault progressions are reverting to last quad (L4 straight jump, L5 front tuck, L6 handspring), age groups are shifting so that L7 will be for most 10-11 year olds, and only JE guys will be eligible to compete L8 at age 11. Apparently the rumors of the return of the headspring to compulsory floor are true as well.

What our coach told us last time they changed the compulsory routines is that most of the time, things don't change really drastically in terms of the correlation between skills and levels, because you want the boys learning and perfecting skills in a pretty predictable order.

And at least they are not completely changing the whole basis for scoring this time!

(And to give credit without embarrassing anyone, this confirmed info is coming via someone else here whom I thank while preserving that person's anonymity in case that is an issue.)

Last edited:
@profmom thanks for the update!

I believe that Level 7 just does pommel right now, I wonder if that will be changing next year or if its just levels 4-6 that will be removing pommel - excited to finally get some news tonight :) My tiny DS would be very excited to not compete pommel next year :rolleyes:

My understanding is L4-6 will have the entire "pommel horse" event on the mushroom, L7 and L8 the pommel-less horse, and L9+ the regular PH. From what I've heard, this puts the US more in line with how boys train in other countries with great PH workers, where work on the pommels is introduced much later. But hopefully someone who really knows men's gymnastics can clarify the rationale behind some of the changes.

From my understanding on pommel, it has been seen that the circles are not transferring well to pommel horse. I think their rationale for some of it is that they really want boys to develop good solid circles before moving to the horse and the handles. I like this change. It will help so many boys to just focus on that circle development rather than circle and that big horse!

My son hates the pommel/mushroom. I guess now he will only have to deal with 1/2 of it. If only that darn circle would happen... (It's been well over a year!!!! )

My son hates the pommel/mushroom. I guess now he will only have to deal with 1/2 of it. If only that darn circle would happen... (It's been well over a year!!!! )

It'll happen! And he'll go from one circle to many fast. I posted a similar comment to yours a little over a year ago when my DS was a L4. He could barely get around the mushroom at L4 states but six months later, he had all the L5 mushroom bonuses and medaled on pommels at regionals!

Now just about 6 weeks later, he is doing loops (circles) on the horse and is now up to 20 in a row, I think? So hang in there, it'll happen!

Lol! Everyone says it'll happen and my logical brain says that you're all right, but the irrational part of my brain says that he will be the ONE anomaly and NEVER get them. :)
Thanks for all the hope though. I really need to stop stressing about it!

Lol! Everyone says it'll happen and my logical brain says that you're all right, but the irrational part of my brain says that he will be the ONE anomaly and NEVER get them. :)
Thanks for all the hope though. I really need to stop stressing about it!

LOL! I know that feeling, and it will come again with the kip, giants, back tucks, flipping vaults, etc. I still get that feeling when D is trying something new!

I'm actually a little bummed about losing pommel. DS did well at L4 with the pommel part, not so great with the mushroom. And of the 2, he prefers working on pommel. And his team is already working on the handspring "vault," which DS is pretty good with already, so I'm also a teensy bummed about that getting delayed until L6. And as long as I'm whining, he's a kid who hugely benefited from the age cutoffs before (September b-day) and the change will impact him negatively. Wah, wah, wah. Nothing I can do about it, so I'll get the fussing out of my system now. :) I am curious to see how the new stuff all shakes out.

I am glad to see the level 5 vault change, it did not teach good technique for moving up to the table. Odd they too away the level 4 flat back and put back that darn stretch jump though.

I am mixed about the pommel mushroom decision. Really think by level 6 they should be using both. For level 4 though, focusing in the mushroom circles does make sense, to me.

I am glad to see the level 5 vault change, it did not teach good technique for moving up to the table.
I am mixed about the pommel mushroom decision. Really think by level 6 they should be using both. For level 4 though, focusing in the mushroom circles does make sense, to me.

That's good to know about the L5 vault. I get 99% of my knowledge from here. :) As for the pommel/mushroom debate, I'm inclined to agree with what you said here - it's just that DS was able to bring his score up in part by doing well on the pommel, and he'll be crabby when they take it out. All in a day's work though for mom or dad, eh?

That's good to know about the L5 vault. I get 99% of my knowledge from here. :) As for the pommel/mushroom debate, I'm inclined to agree with what you said here - it's just that DS was able to bring his score up in part by doing well on the pommel, and he'll be crabby when they take it out. All in a day's work though for mom or dad, eh?
I get it. My ds started out as a bit older than many and the pommel part has always been easier than the mushroom for him.

OMG, that straight jump vault! DS was a L4 the last year of that vault. I felt so sorry for the judges in his session at states who had to look at something like 100 of those stupid vaults. Just imagine trying to make reasonable distinctions among 100 tiny boys chasing their individual imaginary butterflies down the vault track, studiously and mechanically doing the arm circle, jumping, and then landing for the big STICK . . .

OMG, that straight jump vault! DS was a L4 the last year of that vault. I felt so sorry for the judges in his session at states who had to look at something like 100 of those stupid vaults. Just imagine trying to make reasonable distinctions among 100 tiny boys chasing their individual imaginary butterflies down the vault track, studiously and mechanically doing the arm circle, jumping, and then landing for the big STICK . . .

So funny! My son never did that vault, but the mental imagery is hilarious.

I'm curious about the changes to level 7, as far as skills go.

Reactions: sce

Now, imagine that your 6 yo level 4 boy misses the mat, and lands back down on the springboard...sigh

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back