MAG New routines/changes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I just can't wait to see what happens with the no bonus compulsory division. If they do team awards by division, I am going to put it out there right now that That Gym will be the owner and operator of 2017's state champions at L4 ages 8, 9, and 10 and winner of the team banners. They will have second- and third-year L4s who compete no-bonus routines that score around a 59.7 AA.

I'm not sure if That Gym is anyplace in particular, but we all know versions of it, and I'm wondering the same thing! And once again, I'm so happy DS is at a gym that seems to be "assertive" (vs. aggressive or passive) but sane!

I agree with gracy about level 10 guys not being so concerned about being in a division where they can win medals. I know my DS doesn't even appreciate winning a medal if there are only a few guys and he doesn't feel like he's earned it. They're big boys and don't expect to get bling just for showing up.

I just can't wait to see what happens with the no bonus compulsory division. If they do team awards by division, I am going to put it out there right now that That Gym will be the owner and operator of 2017's state champions at L4 ages 8, 9, and 10 and winner of the team banners. They will have second- and third-year L4s who compete no-bonus routines that score around a 59.7 AA.

While I'm sure That Gym exists all over the country, I know the exact gym that profmom is thinking of and they make me furious. It's so not fair -- and not even to their own kids, I believe. Our guys had been doing really well until the last two competitions, which both had this gym. There should be a rule that states that if a kid was in the top 10 at states he has to move on to the next level.

Apparently, they don't do as well once they get to optionals, so my kid has started saying, "I can't wait til I'm level 8, so that I can beat [kids from That Gym]."

While I'm sure That Gym exists all over the country, I know the exact gym that profmom is thinking of and they make me furious. It's so not fair -- and not even to their own kids, I believe. Our guys had been doing really well until the last two competitions, which both had this gym. There should be a rule that states that if a kid was in the top 10 at states he has to move on to the next level.

Apparently, they don't do as well once they get to optionals, so my kid has started saying, "I can't wait til I'm level 8, so that I can beat [kids from That Gym]."

That is just crazy. On the other end of the spectrum is DS's coach, who wouldn't let him repeat L4 even when he was still a 6 year old, because he said the routines were too boring. Nevermind the fact that he was missing a good number of L5 skills at the time. Somehow I think there is a middle ground in there somewhere.

Yeah, I was chatting with a mom who told me her son had been the state champion last year. I was like "Oh wow! Fantastic!" and then later realized "Wait...what? Why is he still competing this level?"

I obsessively cross-referenced all of the boys on that team with their state results from the previous year and realized that at least 3/4s of them had been in the top 10. Then profmom told me that this team has a reputation for that. I really wish someone had told me beforehand. I mean, perhaps our boys were getting cocky from doing so well, but they didn't deserve to be taken down a couple of pegs by a team with serial repeaters. (And in fairness, there are some strong competitors from other gyms, too, but at least you feel like you stand a chance against them.)

Did anyone see the program update USAG put out today? Seems to confirm the age cutoff date change. Routine changes, at least for 4, 5 and 6 which is what I was focused on, seem to be pretty minimal. Anyone know if that is everything or if there are more changes to come?

Did anyone see the program update USAG put out today? Seems to confirm the age cutoff date change. Routine changes, at least for 4, 5 and 6 which is what I was focused on, seem to be pretty minimal. Anyone know if that is everything or if there are more changes to come?

THere is a whole new manual. What came out today was an update to that new manual. I am not sure how much the routines changed but there were changes throughout.

The FS routines are described in the latter part of the doc starting on page 154.

:rolleyes:

I actually typed the question, thought to myself, "I had better check the manual before making a fool of myself", didn't see anything
about FS in the table of contents and then posted.

:rolleyes:

I actually typed the question, thought to myself, "I had better check the manual before making a fool of myself", didn't see anything
about FS in the table of contents and then posted.

I made that same assumption initially - did not realize they were in the back since they were not listed in the main TOC.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back