New Rules - Level 8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GymDad57

Now that the new code has been out for a couple of months and the regional congresses are over, what is the final word on whether Level 8's can do a double back flyaway or a back tuck on beam. My daughter was Level 8 last year and did both or these skills and may repeat L8. Can she do these skills in 2009/2010 season? thanks!

crap!!!!! i always over-rotate my giant giant flyaway, and i was hoping that i could do a double back instead! what's funny is that every level 8 in our gym last season did a double full on floor, a double back off the bars (except one who did a toe on front) and most did a tuck on beam, luckily none of them are staying 8.

What are the new rules for floor in level 8? Very confussed about dance. Does a gymnast have to do a side leap or stradle jump ? Can they take a steap in the series? Is a double turn to wolf jump extra credit? Help!

I know only C skills that are allowed are dance. I do not believe that they "have" to do a side leap or straddle jump. I do not believe that a double turn to wolf jump is the way it will be done now. Something my dd would do double turn, step, step full turning wolf jump. I just know the way the rules are stated that turn/jump or jump/jump is not what they want to see anymore.

Can anyone say this better than my clearer than mud description, sorry.... :eek:

What are the new rules for floor in level 8? Very confussed about dance. Does a gymnast have to do a side leap or stradle jump ? Can they take a steap in the series? Is a double turn to wolf jump extra credit? Help!

If I get the changes correctly(and don't be on it), there is not a specific jump or leap that is required at L8 on floor. They do have to do a leap/jump, but its up to the gymnast/coach as to what it will be. They can take a step now between the leap and jump and I think can also take some running steps into the leap.

There is no "extra credit" at L8. They start the bonus points as a L9.

Turns into jumps (2-foot take-off) don't get bonus in L9/10 anymore. You could do double turn wolf hop 1/1, though. Leaps into jumps aren't necessarily discouraged, but there are other leap passes that you could do instead of the standard iterations of switch leap + side leap/split leap/wolf hop.

FIG needs to change the rules for any gymnast doing Level 8 and Up. I watched National Championships and was very disillusioned by the state of the sport of ARTISTIC gymnastics! The girls trained by Valeri Luikin all performed the same elements in their balance beam routines, just in a different order. It was like watching Elite Compulsories! The floor exercise and bars were not much different. I realize there's not much to do on Vault that would be different or artistic at this point, but for the other three events, there is no excuse for every gymnast performing the same moves. That is not Artistic Gymnastics. It looks more like Clone Gymnastics. That's my opinion and I stand by it. I've been involved in gymnastics since 1972 and this sport has gone from artistic and exciting to predictable and BORING. I hope some gymnast at World Championships breaks this mold and I don't care at this point what country she is from. I want to see artistry, originality and passion brought back to this sport. Congrats to any gymnast who actually accomplishes this! I'm waiting for that day! Change the rules, FIG, please!

One thing that I really noticed during the Olympics was during floor I saw the gymnast perform their choreography and there was music playing, but it seemed like they could of just put on any music . I never really felt that the choreography matched any of the songs. The only one that stood out to me as the best was Alicia Sacramone routine, her's actually seems to go with her music.

It seems that the governing body is trying to get more artistic back into the routines, so hopefully they will be able to accomplish this.

FIG needs to change the rules for any gymnast doing Level 8 and Up. I watched National Championships and was very disillusioned by the state of the sport of ARTISTIC gymnastics! The girls trained by Valeri Luikin all performed the same elements in their balance beam routines, just in a different order. It was like watching Elite Compulsories! The floor exercise and bars were not much different. I realize there's not much to do on Vault that would be different or artistic at this point, but for the other three events, there is no excuse for every gymnast performing the same moves. That is not Artistic Gymnastics. It looks more like Clone Gymnastics. That's my opinion and I stand by it. I've been involved in gymnastics since 1972 and this sport has gone from artistic and exciting to predictable and BORING. I hope some gymnast at World Championships breaks this mold and I don't care at this point what country she is from. I want to see artistry, originality and passion brought back to this sport. Congrats to any gymnast who actually accomplishes this! I'm waiting for that day! Change the rules, FIG, please!

Level 8-10 (JO levels in the US) competitions are governed by USAG, not FIG. Some countries use FIG rules for their JO stream equivalents, but there isn't really anything FIG can do to change the USAG level 8-10 rules. Some changes in the USAG codes will reflect FIG changes, but I don't expect they will decide any time soon to adopt the FIG code.

Thanks for responding. USAG then needs to take a long, hard look at what their rules are doing to this sport. There are many ways a gymnast can stand out in competition without performing dangerous elements. Style and originality should be rewarded as well as encouraged. Rule changes that will open the door to more creative routines would help our sport to grow in the long run.
I'm training a young gymnast right now in a way that takes her style and strengths in a direction that will make her routines beautiful, different and exciting to watch. Someday I believe she will be proof that artistic gymnastics has much more potential than we see nowadays. It's not an easy road I admit, but it's worth the effort! I encourage other coaches to take that step of faith and make it happen.

Does anyone know if a level seven can do this bar series?

Kip cast handstand, half turn, kip cast squat on - this is on the low bar.

Does anyone know if a level seven can do this bar series?

Kip cast handstand, half turn, kip cast squat on - this is on the low bar.
I hope so because that is what my L7 is planning on doing this season (with the addition of a clear-hip handstand). Just make sure your gymnast has enough on the high bar to meet the requirement.

No double back off of bars!!! NO!!!! I really wanted to do that! Over-rotation is a pretty big issue for me out of giants. I literally CAN'T tap at all before my flyaway or my feet will miss the floor completely. And why did they get rid of a back tuck on beam? Really! They do round-off backhandspring backhandspring on floor to lead up to a back tuck on floor (5 to 6), so why can't a backhandspring on the beam lead to a back tuck? Honestly. They are making the levels below elite less and less fun. Now what do I have to look forward to!

-GCG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back