New season of Make it or Break it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjourneymom

Proud Parent
Just wondering how everyone is enjoying the new season of Make it or Break it? I have to say I'm very impressed!:D I really like how some life situations are being addressed by the show. Addressing situations teens may find themselves in & the characters making good choices(for the most part). I think the writers & producers are doing a good job of making it interesting & relavent for all teens, not just gymnast. Hope they keep up the good work! What do you all think about the new season?

I just finished watching the latest epsiode on youtube. I have to say I am so much more impressed with this season than the last. The characters are quite appealing and the issues more real.

Just wish it ran here.

I LOVE the new season! I think that the situations are true to life and very realistic. I like the characters and how they are developing and how they are handling the situations that arise. I really like Payson's storyline and how that is developing. It is very relatable to high school gymnasts that choose to quit the sport for one reason or another and how they "find themselves" in the real world.

So, what do you all think about the possibility of a cure for Payson's back problems when the new doctor called Sasha at the end of last night's episode???? Figures--right when Payson has started to "accept" her new direction with her life and not competing again. Do you think her mom will tell her?? I can't wait to see what happens!!

Bog, I missed the episode Monday night & I had just watched it on abc family.com before I started this thread:). Glad I'm not the only parent looking it up on the internet:p!

I wonder if Holly Sorenson still checks out CB? I'd like her to know that I really liked the turn of events in the latest episode. I hope this is the direction the series continues to head. It had an "After school special" feel to it. Remember those shows from the '70's & '80's? I remember they addressed teen issues on my level at the time, didn't talk down or make light of what teens were dealing with. They usually had a positve message without beating you over the head with preachiness. I really identified with those shows back then.

Hope MIOBI keeps up the good work. Taking the high road of shows for preteens & teens. Entertaining them while giving them some food for thought on their level too!

MdGymMom, That was a cliff hanger ending this week wasn't it???? I don't know what her mom will do? But I can't wait to find out!:D

Last edited:
I of course can't even watch on ABC as it is blocked for non US viewers. Depsite the fact that we do have an ABC channel on tv!

Holly Sorenson hasn't been here since July last year.

THey really seem to get what people want this season, last season was too much of a train wreck for me!

It had an "After school special" feel to it. Remember those shows from the '70's & '80's? I remember they addressed teen issues on my level at the time, didn't talk down or make light of what teens were dealing with. They usually had a positve message without beating you over the head with preachiness. I really identified with those shows back then.

OMG GJM...I LOVED those afterschool specials!!! Remember Beat the Turtle Drum (it was about 2 sisters dealing with grief when one of them falls out of the treehouse and dies). The actress was Melissa Sue Anderson (Mary from Little House) and the other actress was Katy Kurtzman who did a lot of these types of shows. For some reason that show so sticks out in my memory. Other good ones were The Summer of the Swans, Dinky Hocker and The Pinballs with Kristy McNichol.

Here are some links for some synopsises if anyone is interested:

tvdvdreviews.com -- After School Specials: 1976-77 DVD Review

After school special - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I soooo miss these movies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I love this season! I like how Payson has been making good decisions lately, maybe not at first, but now she is getting there :)

i was really upset with the first couple episodes. but it is getting better with more real life situatioins.i really liked the valentines episode. with summers speech and payson finding her place in high school. but then is her mom going to tell her that she can go back to gym.i cant wait for next weeks episode.

Mark me down for one who has really become addicted to this season. I did not like it when it first came out. Frankly, it was just boring. I do like the story line this year, especially with Payson. I like some of the adult story lines growing too, go Sasha and Summer, LOL

And who wasn't sitting at the edge of their seat (with mouth WIDE open) when the phone rang and Sasha tell Payson's mom about the new Ortho???

I do find some of it silly though. How realistic is it for the windowed parent area where the moms and dads watch their high level gymnastics teens practice? My DD is only a L5 and I now dump & run! But I would enjoy my own parking spot in front of the gym, LOL

And I wish there was actually some more REAL gymnastics. Everytime they are in the gym all I see is people walking around and a rare handstand or jump on the low bars.

I think they are doing a better job this season. I like the emphasis on good decision making, loyalty to friends, the emphasis of consequences for bad behavior, and other lessons which teens need to hear. Certain other ABC Family shows (and other teen shows in general) really don't show that. The characters show that it's okay to talk back to parents and authority figures, there really aren't any huge consequences for some life decisions, and the list goes on.
It's good to see teens who are working hard for something rather than all of the teen stereotypes (while those are still pretty prevalent, not as bad as in other shows). I think it's a good message that there is more to work towards in life than being cool or fitting in.

I think they are doing a better job this season. I like the emphasis on good decision making, loyalty to friends, the emphasis of consequences for bad behavior, and other lessons which teens need to hear. Certain other ABC Family shows (and other teen shows in general) really don't show that. The characters show that it's okay to talk back to parents and authority figures, there really aren't any huge consequences for some life decisions, and the list goes on.
It's good to see teens who are working hard for something rather than all of the teen stereotypes (while those are still pretty prevalent, not as bad as in other shows). I think it's a good message that there is more to work towards in life than being cool or fitting in.
Totally agree with you coachmolly! I felt like the most recent episode really turned a corner for teen programming. If you're out there Holly....keep up the good work!:D We are watching & this is the type of programming our teens(and us parents) like to see.

We have just got the first season here in Australia on cable. We have had two episodes so far.

The 1st season introduced the characters and that's about all I say for it Aussie coach;). But I think it has improved this season if you can stick with it. There's still not a lot of real gymnastics. But seems as if they are putting their money into some better scripts with better writing & good story lines, thank goodness! I'm ok with gymnastics just being the back drop for good teen show. It has to be marketable to everyone not just gymnasts, right:rolleyes:?

Dd and I (and even dh) are enjoying this season as well. We also liked last season, but did more giggling because of the gymnastics last season. I really like the storylines and felt they tried to touch on the sex can wait last season too, but it seems more "out there" this season. I thought last night's episode was interesting with all the talk about God from Summer. Not that I'm against it, but you really don't see that many shows talk about God as much as she did last night - especially teen drama shows. I know that is her character and it was very in place for her to say what she was saying, but it was just something that stuck in my head. :D

i really like this season. i think its waaaaaay better than last season.

My wife and I also are enjoying the show. We don't let our little gymmie watch yet but are contemplating it.

My question for everyone is this:

What you do if your were Payson's mom?
Would you tell her and not?

Thanks,

Sean

My wife and I also are enjoying the show. We don't let our little gymmie watch yet but are contemplating it.

My question for everyone is this:

What you do if your were Payson's mom?
Would you tell her and not?

Thanks,

Sean
Good question iggy! I could never keep something that important from my DD, if I were Payson's mom. I'd be too afraid it would come out later & my DD would hate me for the rest of our lives. It would have to be a deep heart to heart though! Explaining that just because there's an option/hope it still might not be the answer or cure to her life going back to what it was prior to the accident. Or at least that's what I think I would do;).

Just wondering how everyone is enjoying the new season of Make it or Break it? I have to say I'm very impressed!:D I really like how some life situations are being addressed by the show. Addressing situations teens may find themselves in & the characters making good choices(for the most part). I think the writers & producers are doing a good job of making it interesting & relavent for all teens, not just gymnast. Hope they keep up the good work! What do you all think about the new season?

I love it, I think it's really focusing more on the drama than the actual gymnastics, I think it's kind of a cop out that the Elite gymnasts who are olympic bound are doing very basic dismounts off the beam, I also don't like how after Carter took off the harness, Kaylie just magically knew how to throw a double arabian. Just saying, in real life thats never the case, if you can't do it in the harness then you aren't going to do it perfectly without it. Especially the first time ever doing it. But I like the story line with Payson, I like that she chose to go with the surgery, but I don't know if it will be everything she hopes it will be, I see something there that I know won't go well, but we'll see. Also I think it was stupid what the National Comittee didn't take KAylie to China, they should be made aware of everything thats going on and make their desicions based on that. Sure it's common for bullying and trash talk to occur when you have your eye on one thing, but if they do end up at the olympics together on the same team they are going to have to change their attitudes because it's a team ellort to win a team medal in the olympics, but whatever. Usually in reality the national team members have been training with each other once a month and are actually friends. And Lauren needs to get a reality check and stop acting so selfish and ruining everything. Someone needs to slap that brat.

I'm really enjoying it at the moment. I have to watch it on CastTV because we're out of the US *frown* but I think its fantastic and much better than last season.
I hope they keep up te good work:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back