New to Chalkbucket, and gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Balletgymmom12

Proud Parent
Hello!

I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself.

I say I'm a new gym mom, but that isn't 100% accurate. My older daughter did gym from ages 2-6 before saying she wanted to try dance. She was quite good, but we moved a lot and the newest coaches didn't push--she got bored. Younger daughter did gym from 3-4 but wanted to follow her big sister to dance. Older dd stayed with dance, ended up a true-blue bun head, and younger dd has--now at having just turned 10--realized her heart isn't in classical ballet and switched back to gym.

She was very successful in ballet---always the youngest in her level and built like a ballerina which made her well-loved--so moving to gym where she is an old beginner has been an adjustment for her. However, she loves gymnastics! Her coach says she has excellent body awareness and is extremely flexible, (she's also a hard worker and very bold and not afraid to try new skills--maybe to a fault!) but bars need the most work. She began about 5 weeks ago. She got her pullover in the first class. She has gotten a back hip circle, back walkover, front walkover, cartwheel on beam, and a few other beginner things relatively easily, and ultimately wants to get invited to team, so we have decided to invest in private lessons.

I didn't realize that gym was so expensive, though! Ballet training and ballet intensives are pricey, but this is worse!

Really looking forward to learning all that I can from you guys!

Thanks for reading.

Welcome!

Even though you hear a lot about the youngest super-stars at higher levels, there are many many 10 year olds in the ballpark of working the skills you listed, so I wouldn't say your DD is really that old, especially given her flexibility and dance training. That will serve her well, and assuming you have a gym program that doesn't age-discriminate, there is nothing holding her back from high level gymnastics! 1-2 years from now, with proper conditioning to build strength for those bars, and a quality program that lets her move at her ideal pace, she could already be jumping up the levels. Hope she continues to love it with a supportive gym! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back