Parents New to group/question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok so call me crazy but we did a 200 mile round trip, 2.5 hours each way (and longer if it snowed, there was an accident etc) and the practices were 4 hours each day so I stayed up there....and I did this commute , with both my girls in regular school, and me working for 6 years....it seems rather dreadful as I type that even!
But both of my girls were level 10s and no, we never considered relocating....I passed the time either in the local library or grocery shopping.

I don't think I'd do this hefty of a commute for below level 8 ...at level 4, I certainly would not have , and I definitely never considered homeschooling for gym sake. They did go to small private schools that were accommodating of our schedules (they were dismissed early to get to practice and the school worked the daily schedule around that...and believe me, we realize how truly fortunate we were to be able to pull this off).

I think you could pull it off but this early in the game, I would definitely seek other options. I was able to do this type of a commute because both my girls were in the same sport, my husband took my son to his sport, and I had a very flexible work schedule that also accommodated it...I cannot stress enough what a huge undertaking a commute like this is. I don't regret it but I definitely wouldn't have entertained the idea in compulsory levels.

My daily commute for work is between 3,5 and 5 hours. I do this so my kids can stay in a great school where they can be taught in their home language and be close to gymnastics (youngest DD) and choir, orchestra, piano and violin teachers (oldest DD). And so that I can actually afford all these things:rolleyes:
The commute is absolutely brutal and we don't even get snow in winter. I can understand that you would travel that far for your kids as I'm doing it, BUT I don't have said kids in the car with me.
Good luck with the decision and please keep us posted.

Ok so call me crazy but we did a 200 mile round trip, 2.5 hours each way (and longer if it snowed, there was an accident etc) and the practices were 4 hours each day so I stayed up there....and I did this commute , with both my girls in regular school, and me working for 6 years....it seems rather dreadful as I type that even!
But both of my girls were level 10s and no, we never considered relocating....I passed the time either in the local library or grocery shopping.

I don't think I'd do this hefty of a commute for below level 8 ...at level 4, I certainly would not have , and I definitely never considered homeschooling for gym sake. They did go to small private schools that were accommodating of our schedules (they were dismissed early to get to practice and the school worked the daily schedule around that...and believe me, we realize how truly fortunate we were to be able to pull this off).

I think you could pull it off but this early in the game, I would definitely seek other options. I was able to do this type of a commute because both my girls were in the same sport, my husband took my son to his sport, and I had a very flexible work schedule that also accommodated it...I cannot stress enough what a huge undertaking a commute like this is. I don't regret it but I definitely wouldn't have entertained the idea in compulsory levels.
WOW you were a seriously dedicated gym mom. So did you work all day, then drive them to gym, hang out while they were at gym ( I would have been catching up on sleep in the car if it were me..) and then drive them home? You all must have gotten home so late. Did they do all homework in the car? Its nice for the OP to see the side of someone who has been there, but I can't imagine how hard that was on you. The things we do for our kids!

WOW you were a seriously dedicated gym mom. So did you work all day, then drive them to gym, hang out while they were at gym ( I would have been catching up on sleep in the car if it were me..) and then drive them home? You all must have gotten home so late. Did they do all homework in the car? Its nice for the OP to see the side of someone who has been there, but I can't imagine how hard that was on you. The things we do for our kids!

I worked from 7 am until 1:30....drove up to the gym....hung out for the duration..and then when practice ended at 8:30 pm, we were back in the car for the ride home. I fed them dinner in the car and they did homework on the drives to and from....before the days of Ipads, we had 2 sets of books with the extra set specifically for the car. For high school , their books were all on an IPad so it was a lot easier. I drove with the lights on in the car so I looked like a city bus! We were usually able to get home by 10:30 pm, unless they were doing construction in the off hours.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back