Parents New to gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MrsE

Proud Parent
New to gymnastics, DD (6) been going to a recreational beginner’s gymnastics class for nearly 9 month.
She is adamant she would like to do competitive gymnastics.
Not sure she really knows what this is but she loves gymnastics and currently wants me to ask if she can do another classs so she can practice more.
Don’t really understand what the difference between a beginner recreational gymnastic and an intermediate and an advanced but in DD current class (two moved up a month ago) Out of 15 children DD appears to be one of the better ones and is often asked to show new ones how to cartwheel etc and there is only DD and another girl who they are doing back walkover practice with and handsprings on vault. In current class DD and the other girl are the only ones who can cartwheel, handstand, and kick out from a bridge.
I don’t really know the terminology so can’t tell you what she can and can’t do and the lessons don’t follow BGA awards or their own scheme and we don’t get any kind of report so I don’t really know how she is doing. I don’t want to ask what she needs to do to move up for fear of being seen as a pushy parent but DD loves gymnastics more than anything and when I said the other day about maybe trying a new activity she was extremely adamant that she didn’t want to.
I overheard a couple of times the coach referring to a couple of gymnasts as being flexible but have never heard them saying this about DD so does this mean DD wont progress even though she can currently do more than these girls?

Thanks

do you have the ability to chat with the rec coach at all? i would casually mention that your dd is loving gymnastics and wants to get more skills and was asking to add on a 2nd class and what did the coach recommend. i wouldn't mention moving up or anything. just say it's all she wants to do and she wants to do more and were there anymore classes she could join. you might also want to look into seeing if they have any tumbling classes she can go to. our gym has 3 or 4 each week that focus just on tumbling.

and some kids are just more flexible. and some are more strength oriented. mine isn't super flexible but she can do a press handstand and has incredible upper body strength. being flexible doesn't always = being a good gymnast. but it's helpful!

good luck!

Doesn't hurt to ask for a trial, saying she's really keen and would like to do more hours. I know what you mean about not wanting to be a pushy parent, but I think it's easier if you focus on the fact she wants to do more hours rather than you want her to be amazing, iyswim.

Ask the coach about getting a trial or something in competitive or a higher rec class. As for the whole flexible thing if you are concerned about it maybe do some light stretching at home, butterflies, straddles, ect.. Nothing too much you don't wanna have her injured. There's a difference between having skills and being "flexible" at that level and age most of their flexibility is probably natural instead of older girls who have to stretch to become flexible because you're more flexible when you're little, in skills you generally don't need to be extremely flexible, especially with beginner skills.. Cartwheels, handstands, kickovers ect... You just generally need the strength to do so (Not saying that you don't need flexibility which you do! You just don't need a bunch of it with smaller skills.) So some girls may have more natural flexibility then your DD does. And that's fine! Don't worry too much!

Best of luck!

I agree with asking for some information, it wouldn't hurt, and wouldn't automatically mean you are a pushy parent.
Each gym works differently, so no harm in asking the rec coach, or an administrator, or someone else what is the path to team at this gym. Ask if she can be evaluated for pre-team now, or maybe they are only doing evaluations at the end of the season around spring time.
Also, if your DD loves it that much and wants to progress faster (and to be noticed faster) I agree with the suggestion to sigh her up for another rec or tumbling class.

Reactions: sce
Hi all and thanks.
E'smum the coach doesn't really say much, someone asked them the other week about their friend on the waiting list and was told to ring the sports centre number.
Not sure if DD is flexible because don't know what flexible in gymnastics actually means but she appears to be strong ie can hold an handstand and swing on bars etc.
John and Annikins the lessons are at the local sports centre and put on by the council. I think the coaches are from a local gymastics club but there is only the recreational classes at the sports centre , no team. I don't know if those that do advanced recreational get offered the opportunity to join a team elsewhere but it's just recreational classes at the centre.
Jenns Jam it was only with hearing two girls being described as flexible that I wondered what flexible was and how they can tell for girls between 4 and think oldest is 8 who is flexible and who isn't.
Irenka no pre team at centre.
We have found out that one of her friends goes to a dance school that's just started tumbling classes so might just opt for that time being and leave asking/enquiring until the end of the year when she will have been going almost a year. I assume in the UK that at 7 if she was still in the beginner rec class she wouldn't be too old to move to a gymastics club etc to work towards competitive?
Thanks again

I don't see anything wrong with ringing the sports centre. Tell them how much your dd has been enjoying the rec classes and she has been asking if there is a competition team she can join. Tell them you know nothing about gymnastics, and you were wondering if they have a team or how a child can get involved in competitive gymnastics.

It isn't crazy gym mom to ask.

okay, if its a sports centre class in the UK then the chances or her competing are slim to none.

It will be a council run rec class only.

You need to look for a local club that competes with British Gymnastics. You can find them on the British gymnastics website, and depending on your area the GB members here may be able to point you to good clubs within your area.

have a look here https://www.british-gymnastics.org/discover

put in your type (WAG for example) and area and it will list the clubs nearest to you.

All clubs are not created equal, some focus on inclusion, everyone gets to compete, some are very selective and if you are not a superstar then you may get relegated to a floor and vault only group, some are in between.

Shout if you need some help

'Margo

Thanks for replying iwannabemargo.

Yes only rec classes and know we will need to move if she wants to compete but I've had a look for some other classes. I had her name down for another local one this one but was told it's a similar set up 5 + foundation classes and then 8 + recreational classes. I think if you are "spotted" if that is the correct terminology then you may get the opportunity to do pre team or similar. There is another one that offers beginner lessons but have been told you attend classes and they assess children in the classes and if they think they might be suitable then they will offer a place in the squad. However when speaking to people who go to the second one I've been told there are that many children there that children are often overlooked unless they really stand out.
There are a couple of other clubs near by so I'll get her on the waiting list but I've been told waiting times are long. We were on the list of current classes for a fair while.
I see you are in the UK, if we keep DD at the rec sport centre lessons until we can get a place at a proper club will she be too old (was 6 in August) or will there still be a chance to compete and how does it work ie in another local club that I've been told about you start in beginners but follow BAGA awards before being selected for the team so if we managed to get a place here then would DD have to start at BAGA 8 which would mean two/three years before getting a chance to join the team.

to be completely honest, and we were having a chat about this the other day, if you are more than 6-12 months in rec without being pulled out, chances are you are not going to be, from my experience anyway.

It is pretty obvious to the coaches which children (at 6+) will fit in with their programme, and which wont, and yes the UK elite system is early selecting and can be brutal, BUT, the majority of gymnasts are not elite and there are gyms out there that will let them compete as older gymnasts.

There are 3 competitive pathways in 4 piece, Elite, Regional and Club so lots of opportunities at all levels and pace

oh and fyi, mine started gym at 6, did badge 8-5 in the first 8 months and that was it for badges, she went into development squad

Thanks for your honesty. I had told DD she may not be good enough to compete. I know it may be harsh but didn't want her to have disappointment in years to come but maybe I'm going to have to tell again? She is a determined little thing who 's school teachers say she is aware of what she needs to do to achieve things. Not quite sure what they are saying but if its applied to gymastics when I tried to tell her she may never go beyond rec classes she told me she will practice until she is good enough. I feel awful now because I've found something she really enjoys but my naivety of applying for a place at the sports centre classes means she may not get a chance now :-(
We don't have a programme to my knowledge it's just rec beginners, rec intermediate, rec advanced. I don't think DD would have ever been elite but she would love to do gymnastics forever.
Should I definitely be looking if there are some other clubs a bit further afield that may have space in rec classes that have teams aswell?
You seem very knowledgeable what would another club look for in a gymnnast. As mentioned above DD and the other girl appear so much better than the rest of the class. Rest cant even do handstands or cartwheels.
Thanks again.

yes I would, if you want to pm me with your location I may be able to steer you in the right direction :)

One's closed the waiting list for now for beginner classes and will get back to me when registration opens. The other the only waiting list available to sign up for is rec classes so will stay at the current class for now and will maybe take her to tumbling classes.
Another says just to drop in for beginner lessons so will try that one week
In all honesty she probably isn't as good as I think and its only because she is one of the better ones that it's more noticeable but when she wants to do more I would love to be able to help but really don't have a clue about anything.

Me again, sorry.
Until we can get DD into a gym club we are staying at the rec classes. However since ringing around a couple of gym clubs I've been told of one that DD would start in foundation classes, then at 8 move to recreational classes. When I enquired further I was told that sometimes some children will be asked to join pre team instead of going into recreational classes. Another said its beginners recreational classes until 8 then intermediate recreational classes from 8 but they are always looking to help recreational students realise their potential in the sport or similar words. Another said recreational classes are drop in and they don't follow any awards but if they think you have potential they will let you try for the team.
Therefore if we move to another club how will we get DD noticed? She wants to learn more and is having fun in her current class but when I asked her why she didn't try the handstand on the beam today she said because we were told to cartwheel. We have a beam at home and DD can cartwheel and wants to learn new things in the safety of class and where she will know what she is learning is correct. DD is the only one of the class who can cartwheel on the beam. Chatting on the way home we got onto back walkover and DD said I didn't get to practice it today so when I asked why she said because I was told to do handstand forward rolls on the wedge. She can do these without the wedge so was hoping to finally get her back walkover (currently goes to bridge then kicks). DD is a well behaved child but today she was messing quite a bit (Haven't got to the bottom of why yet) but I'm wondering if it's because she isn't learning new things .
A swim mum suggesting me ringing one of the clubs and instead of asking about beginner classes just to ask about a trial for pre team. Is this something people do? if yes what types of skills does the children usually have before trying for pre team?
Also DD is shy in new situations and so do we both have to accept that recreational classes will be all she can do? She will be heartbroken but if it is all she will do I need to tell her sooner rather than later.

All clubs in UK (that I know of at least!) have at least a year waiting list. Only way around it that I've found is to ask for a squad trial. Then they'll either take her into the squad, or they'll put you on the (long!) waiting list, but you haven't lost anything by trying xx

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back