MAG New Updates: Anyone go

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Valentin

Coach
Hi Everyone

Did any of you attend the presentations about the new updates? If so can you share, when they happen if they have not already?

Thanks

Hi Everyone

Did any of you attend the presentations about the new updates? If so can you share, when they happen if they have not already?

Thanks

I'm curious to know too. My ds's coach is going to the workshop in LA this weekend. I thought others might have gone already. Ds's coach tells me there's going to be level 8 nationals for 12-13-year olds. I'm interested in what other changes there are to levels 8-10.

I haven't heard any of the specifics on 8-10, but I gather they are going to go with the two-track model.

For L5, it sounds like the difficulty of mushroom's been dialed down rather significantly (L5 basic routine is the same as the old L4). The whole vault sequence for compulsories has also apparently changed -- the boys are going to a flatback at L4 and a front bounder at L5. I guess I'm glad to see the straight jump go, but am curious to hear what the MAG coaches think of the new progression.

Our coaches went to the one held with JO Nationals. Yes, there will be nationals for level 8 in the prime age group. Also, there will be a junior elite path for boys. Our coach said my son would have to compete 2 routines at level 8--the regular level 8 and then one for junior elite. Level 7 took off the pommels on horse and you get several vault options to choose from each with a different start value.

Thanks for the tidbits.

LilHawkMom, do you know if the pre-elite routines you're talking about are something separate like an extension of Future Stars, or is something they have to do at L8 Nationals?

He made it sound like it was separate from JO levels and would be the way to make National team. This had nothing to do with future stars but I am sure many of those who did/qualified future stars would be the ones going junior elite. I don't know anything else. So many changes!

Clarification on L5 mushroom -- apparently it's just the basic routine without bonuses that's the same as old L4. DS says that the base routine is 3 1/2 circles. Add two circles for a bonus. Add two more circles with (I think) a half spindle around the mushroom for another bonus. Then two flares and a circle off for the third bonus. Sounds like a lot of exciting new opportunities to fall off the mushroom -- is it possible to get a negative score on an event?

The boys requirements for the compulsory levels are not shifting down like the girls, right? I have seen the draft and it doesn't look like it to me, if anything only the mushroom has gotten easier, atleast at levels 4 and 5.

No, as far as I know, they're not shifting down. I think from what I have heard, the issue with the girls is that the jump from L8 to L9 was quite significant, so they've added a level in between. No comparable issue on the boys' side, so no need for a change. But as I mentioned above, I'm glad to see they changed the compulsory vaults!

I'm not sure I agree that mushroom's easier, though. The base routine is easier, to be sure. But the routine with all of the possible bonuses now includes both flare circles and a spindle. There wasn't a spindle in the 2008-12 L5 routine, was there? (It's kind of hilarious with our guys -- they were admonished sternly all last year NOT to spindle under any circumstances whatsover. "Wait, what? Spindling not bad?" Head explodes.)

Gymboymom, what level does it look like your guy will compete next year? Mine will be either L4 or L5, more likely L5.

Levels! LOL! I know you didn't ask me, but apparently d could be anywhere from a 6-8. Probably 6 or 7, but who knows?! Just depends on how summer goes.

When will the changes be official and the speculation be over? I heard June before....that is a couple days away :)

What exactly changed with ages? How different is it from the old program? I know my son was a little disappointed. Most of his team will be moving/training as Level 8's but the coach said my son was too young. He's happy though he moved up to Level 7!

Anything change with Future Stars or is it just JO?

So can someone who went give us a quick synopsis of the major changes for the upper levels. I'm having a meeting with my ds's coach soon about what level to train. I'm just hoping to be somewhat prepared so I know what questions to ask and know whether my ds's goals are reasonable. Thanks!!!

Thanks for the link. It looks "official" compared to the draft that was posted. If it is official, it is interesting that the max scores (including doing all bonus) are much lower. L4 11.7, L5 12.2 L6 12.2, L7 12.7, with vault scored slightly different. It will be weird going from having scores of 15 to 12 being 'good'.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back