Chalkygripsbloodyrips

Coach
Gymnast
Anybody know what this is about?

Attachments

• F806824C-3F34-4997-94CC-AC4A976737B1.png
    F806824C-3F34-4997-94CC-AC4A976737B1.png
    97 KB · Views: 161
I read the article in the morning, and then it was gone. Anyone have any info they would care to share on the subject?

According to Will Graves' twitter this is the further statement from USAG: “To provide clarity, the decision to terminate Dr. Nyman’s employment was not based on any comments made on social media platforms or anywhere else. In accordance with our employment policies, we cannot comment further on this personnel matter.”

I saw a bit of backlash from people (Simone included) who thought his job would be more hands on and thought USAG should have hired a woman for it. But I think if they were committed to keeping him then simply clarifying who he was and what job he was doing would have quieted the criticism pretty quickly. I honestly can't imagine the twitter comments (which were comparatively minor on the gymternet outrage scale) would have caused them to fire him in one day. I think there must have been something else at play.

According to Will Graves' twitter this is the further statement from USAG: “To provide clarity, the decision to terminate Dr. Nyman’s employment was not based on any comments made on social media platforms or anywhere else. In accordance with our employment policies, we cannot comment further on this personnel matter.”

I saw a bit of backlash from people (Simone included) who thought his job would be more hands on and thought USAG should have hired a woman for it. But I think if they were committed to keeping him then simply clarifying who he was and what job he was doing would have quieted the criticism pretty quickly. I honestly can't imagine the twitter comments (which were comparatively minor on the gymternet outrage scale) would have caused them to fire him in one day. I think there must have been something else at play.
Thanks for the insight. Interesting...doesn’t seem to be a very transparent process of hiring/firing, but what’s new?

"The complaints allege emotional and verbal abuse, and that Edward Nyman, who has a PhD. in biomechanics, conducted physical exams on New Heights athletes, according to USA Gymnastics and SafeSport documents." What on earth? I think you can go to prison for practicing medicine without a license.

"The complaints allege emotional and verbal abuse, and that Edward Nyman, who has a PhD. in biomechanics, conducted physical exams on New Heights athletes, according to USA Gymnastics and SafeSport documents." What on earth? I think you can go to prison for practicing medicine without a license.
Do you know of anyone practicing medicine without a license?

Given the fact that there is no requirement for folks to prove or support anything they say or tweet on social media. There is nearly 0 oversight.

Far too many lives are being torn up because someone just tweets something, true or not. Defamation and liable are not a concern in a digital social media world. Wanna take someone out, post something. Doesn't matter it its a complete fabrication

Low on cash start a go fund me, no one is going to check to if you are actually sick or homeless or whatever circumstance you claim actually happened.

Add in the trainwreck that is corporate USAG. And their stellar handling of things so far (yeah thats sarcasm).

While I have no personal knowledge of Mr Nyman.

It would seem to take the time for that kind of response. I imagine he likely has much to support his claims. I see a settlement in his future.

USAG is claiming that he did although he is denying that in his Facebook post.

They said something. He said something.

Where are the charges to support the claim?

That of course is the problem. You can put anything out there on Social Media.

Again, I get it lots of bad people out there.

And just because a complaint was made, doesn't automatically prove its valid.

The whole thing is a mess. I'm inclined to believe his post simply because he's being very open about a private matter while USAG is obviously trying to obfuscate the details as much as possible. As for the claims of practicing medicine without a license-- his post explains that what he does is observing athlete movement and biomechanics which isn't a medical exam. I hope if someone (USAG included) has proof that he's lying about this they'll report it to the proper authorities, but it rings true to me. And it seems like this interaction with USAG has caused him to completely pivot from wanting to help rebuild the organization to thinking it's unsalvageable. That's troubling, as is the characterization of Li Li's actions throughout all this. Any way I look at this it seems like USAG's in the wrong. Either they didn't vet him properly and missed warning signs that he wasn't a healthy person to have on staff, or he's being honest and USAG fired him because he wouldn't toe the party line. Regardless of the he said/they said issue, this doesn't bode well.

Yep, this didn't have anything to do with the gymternet. This was just USAG being a dumpster fire. More of the same.

I agree that it wasn't very professional, but if I had been fully vetted over months and gave up a tenured position to take this job, only to be quickly and unceremoniously fired over things that USAG already knew about, I would be SO PISSED. Especially since he really seems to believe that it was all political because people in protected positions did not want him to make changes.

It is a he said/she said so we can not know if what he says is true, but one of these parties has a reputation for lying about everything all the time and ALWAYS making the wrong decision, so....I'm inclined to believe him. This is exactly the kind of "circling the wagons" behavior USAG has demonstrated over and over.

This is the reason some people want to burn it all down. As long as any of the power structure remains they are going to keep doing this crap, in perpetuity.I don't even fault Li Li for saying it's a house of cards - It IS a house of cards.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back