New Visitor!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

VaultBarCoach

Hi!
I am a vault & bar coach for compulsories through level 7 in Southern California. I have spent many years coaching all over the country but have been at my current gym for over 3 years, and hopefully, this is where I'll stay.
I love vault, bars and most of all...conditioning!! I know exactly what will make you strong for every skill you need!

Welcome VaultBarCoach! O.K. so here's a question for you! What conditioning exercises would you recommend to help a gymnast improve her front handspring on the floor? My DD's coaches say she needs to improve her shoulder flexbility for that skill... what do you suggest?

Thanks!

-Lynn

Welcome VaultBarCoach! O.K. so here's a question for you! What conditioning exercises would you recommend to help a gymnast improve her front handspring on the floor? My DD's coaches say she needs to improve her shoulder flexbility for that skill... what do you suggest?

These are just some ideas and I am glad you brought it up because would really like some more ideas for this skill too. But shoulder shrugs will probably help (HS hold with shoulder action, arms straight but pushing through shoulders up and down to emphasize the block action). Also, HS "pop" a few inches forward to end in HS.

Heel drive drills and rebound drills are really good too for overall tightness and positioning but those are hard to do at home. The shoulder shrugs you could do against a wall at home, the HS block may be iffy without a large space or mat.

Also there is a good exercise for tightness using a spring board and resistance band. Basically the gymnast stands on the board with heels off, and the middle band is under the bottom on the board with the ends on either side. The gymnast holds the ends and extends their arms (there should be tension), pushing from the shoulders. Tight body, tight bounce, pushing through the shoulders (arms straight!!!!), for a L5 probably a set of 30. elastic band things are pretty easy to get and I guess you could just use a stairstep and put it under the balls of your feet, but I like it better with the bigger bounce from the board and the emphasis on pull through the shoulders to keep the bounce going (less real foot action required.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back