New Xcel Rules (Don't know what to do!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So last year our whole Xcel team competed bronze (which is the new silver for region 5), and so now we would be moving to gold if we want to move up. I definitely do because I have had my kip for two years, have the handspring over the table vault, and have decent tumbling on floor, so I don't want to be stuck doing the same old stuff forever.

We got the new Xcel requirements yesterday, and I have no idea why, but they took the kip requirement out of gold, AND they took out the front/back tuck in gold. So now the kip isn't actually required until Platinum!! UGH! So I don't want to do a kip in silver then, but I can't move up to gold because I don't have the squat on, and of course they didn't take that out. I'm pretty sure I could do it, but I'm really really scared of squat ons. I have seen so many girls take bad falls on them, and it looks like it would hurt the shins :O. Also, I am really afraid of cartwheels and especially full turns on beam--even more than squat ons, and of course those are still in gold too. They take away everything I can do, and leave in what I can't. One of my friends on my team doesn't have her kip or her back tumbling, but she can do cartwheel, squat on, and roundoff, so it looks like she'll be moving up and I will have to stay behind.

Anyway, this is kind of a vent, but HELP! Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do/how to get over the fear? It's so hard to shake this because I have been scared for so long, but I need to move up!! Are there any good "drills" for fear?

Thanks!

Wow, I'm in almost the exact same situation as you! I figured I'd be able to do gold since I have a kip, but then I saw that I'd have to do a cartwheel and a full turn, neither of which I can do. I guess the coach is just going to decide for me based on how much she thinks I can progress before meet season.

Let's see, about the fears. Full turn, I have no idea. I've only just started working on them on the low beam. Cartwheels, I actually had started a thread about them. Here is the link: http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/skills-drills-forum/37340-cartwheel-beam-mental-block.html
Squat ons. There is a drill we do for those. Use a floor bar that is slightly raised. Do a pushup position, but have your hands on the bar. Then jump your feet onto the bar, stand up, and jump off. Once you get comfortable with that, put two blocks about a foot apart, and put the floor bar on top. Do the same thing, standing in the space between the blocks. Then, put a block under the real bar, and basically do the same thing you did on the floor. Stand with feet on the block, hands on the bar, in a pushup position, then jump your feet onto the bar. Once that gets easier, try it from casting. Make sure you have a big enough cast. The problem for most people is that they are afraid to lean over the bar. You have to lean your shoulders way over the bar. Don't be afraid of it, the worst that will happen is that you will trip and have to jump over the bar. If you can't get your feet off the bar in time to make a quick escape, just hold on and you will swing back around. Good luck!

Have you tried a straddle-on instead of a squat-on? I've found them to be easier for me but should still meet the requirement.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back