Parents Newbie mom needs advice please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If you're a top gym with goals of producing college athletes, you're getting girls to Level 10 by middle school which does require starting relatively young for most athletes. That's the main reason these gyms are so selective.

Beyond that, I've always thought very competitive programs have strict age requirements not because they think older kids couldn't catch up, but because trying to do so is simply very hard on the coaches.

A great coach's time is usually spread extremely thin already. I figure to make the best use of their time they develop very intentional programs with very specific timelines and plans for developing their athletes.

When someone presents who is far outside the age/skill levels of their program, I would imagine its a strain to work them in to their "well-oiled machine"

Also, keep in mind that very competitive programs don't only have strict age requirements for joining them, but they have very strict age/mobility guidelines for the girls already within them as well. It would be hard to enforce to all of your, say, age 9 level 5s that they need giants by a given date if they were bringing in 9 year olds who couldn't kip (probably not the best example, but hopefully you get my point).

I really doubt these super selective programs aren't aware, just as we all are, that older girls can also be successful in JO. I'm sure they know it is possible. I think it mostly is just a result of having enough of a talent pool to choose from that they are able to cherry pick who they want to dedicate their <limited> time to.

Sometimes these most competitive/selective gyms will refer these older girls to their Xcel programs. Not because they don't think they could do JO, but because they don't fit in their JO program. Naturally, most won't refer you to another gym- they are running a business. So instead they refer to the program in their gym that would work for them.

Sorry, kind of forgot what the OP was about after pages of this thread. Most recent posts were talking about a little bit older girls.
Just looked again and 6 years old does seem very early to be written off. I'm sorry that has happened.

If you're a top gym with goals of producing college athletes, you're getting girls to Level 10 by middle school which does require starting relatively young for most athletes. That's the main reason these gyms are so selective....
I know many college coaches that don't want someone that has been level 10 for more than a season or 2. They tend to burn out. I also know quite a few gymnasts that graduated high school at level 9 and still competed in NCAA gymnastics. I'm not saying the business model you mentioned isn't accurate for many gyms. I just disagree with them philosophically.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "college gymnasts" in general in my first sentence and instead said D1?

I don't know, it just seems like everything I'm seeing and hearing is indicating multiple years at level 10 is becoming the norm since these "normal" JO girls are competing against former Olympians and Elite gymnasts for spots on the big teams.

I love the philosophy you have mentioned though, and I wish all college coaches agreed! Would make life for these young athletes much more balanced for sure.

Hi! Being a mom is so tough. We all want the best for our kids and it's tough navigating this very confusing world of gymnastics. I don't think all is lost for your daughter but you may want to start scoping out other gyms.

My daughter was hand picked for a pre-team at a gym at the age of 4. She loved gymnastics up till then. She didn't have the maturity to train for 1.5 hours, 3 times a day at that point. She wanted to quit but we pushed her after being told how much promise she had. After a few months of dragging her to the gym and having to push her into the gym after she came out crying every few minutes, we quit. Right before she turned 8 she decided she wanted to try gymnastics again. We decided to try a smaller gym based on a friend's recommendation. This gym does not advertise nearly as much as the first. I would have never known about the gym if it weren't for my friend. After a year of recreational classes she decided she wanted to try competing. I approached the gym about it. They observed her in her rec classes a few times and then invited her to try out right before she turned 9. She is just finishing her first season competing in the Xcel program at the silver level. Our gym has them compete JO in the fall and Xcel in the spring. She recently qualified for states and then did very well at states that she qualified for regionals. I was told to expect her to compete level 3 or 4 in the fall. My point is, the gym where you are at is the NOT the only gym. If you feel your daughter is being cheated from an experience that she desires, advocate for her. My daughter competing is huge. She has overcome so much insecurity and fear. She has gained so much confidence in not only gymnastics but in the person she is. I am so glad I spoke up for her last year. Had I not, she may not have ever been noticed and would not be experiencing this amazing journey. Speak up and if you are told "NO" again, find a new gym!!

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum so thank you for taking the time to read this post. My DD is 6 years old (7 in April). She started rec gymnastics 4 months ago at one of the competitive gyms here and absolutely LOVES it! When she started she could barely do a front somersault never mind a cart wheel. Now four months later she has a strong handstand, strong cartwheel, back bend and kick over, pullover and cast on bars but is weaker on beam. On beam she executes gracefully and gets the job done but she is slow and cautious in her skills. She is working on her cartwheel to 3/4 handstand dismount on beam and can do it although execution needs work and she hesitates. Her vault skills are coming along as well but bars and floor are definitely progressing faster. She is physically strong, can do chin ups and 5-6 pull ups. She can rope climb all the way up.

My question is this: I heard that the coaches are always scanning the rec classes and when they see a kid with potential they flag them for the pre-team. Our gym has both JO and Xcel programs. First do they flag different kids for different tracks? Does the fact that my DD hasn't yet been approached mean it is unlikely she will be flagged for either track since she will be 7 in a few months? Is she already too old? Most of the pre-team kids at this gym are 5 and 6.

Last week after DD's 1 hour rec class she was getting dressed with her friend (who just turned 7 and just started at this gym 3 weeks prior) and one of the coaches came up to me and said "I think you should consider having your daughter try out for pre-team, she is very good". In my gut I knew she thought I was the mom to my daughters friend but I said "oh you mean her?" and pointed to my own daughter and the coach said "OH NO, not her.." and pointed to my daughters friend and said "her".

I said "oh that's her mom" and so the 2 started talking about the next steps while my DD and I just stood there listening. We didn't say a word and my daughter was so gracious and didn't make a face or cry or anything. After their chat I felt like I had to at least ask because my DD was right there so I said "Do you think maybe my daughter could try out too?" and she said right in front of both girls and her mom " oh no, she is weak on vault, no power in her run and she isn't flexible enough, how old is she anyway?" I said 6 and she asked when she would be 7 and I told her April and then she just said "no" and that was that. We didn't push or question. Conversation over. DD was such a good sport, didn't say "why not me?" she didn't complain or anything.

MY DD loves gymnastics and all she talks about is getting on the pre team. I know that the ones they pick will make the most progress because they are the ones who get the conditioning, training and coaching to see what they can do. If she does improve her flexibility and power on vault, could she eventually be asked to pre-team or is it unlikely at this point? It seems to me she is rapidly becoming too old in the mind of this particular gym. Are all gyms like this? Should we look to another gym? This is a highly competitive gym for sure. Would other gyms without JO and just Xcel be a good option for her?

She just loves it so much and really hopes to make a team one day and I would like to be able to prepare her for the chance it may not happen and it breaks my heart. BTW I am super easy going and would never be a difficult parent for the coaches. Thanks so much for any insight.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "college gymnasts" in general in my first sentence and instead said D1?

I don't know, it just seems like everything I'm seeing and hearing is indicating multiple years at level 10 is becoming the norm since these "normal" JO girls are competing against former Olympians and Elite gymnasts for spots on the big teams.

I love the philosophy you have mentioned though, and I wish all college coaches agreed! Would make life for these young athletes much more balanced for sure.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. The college coaches I know are D1 colleges. Little places like NC State, Alabama, Bowling Green, Penn State to name a few I have worked directly with at camps.
Quite a few coaches prefer to teach kids that are still willing to learn. Many that have already been Elite for several years aren't what these coaches are looking for. The athletic directors may be looking for someone who can already win but a lot of the coaches aren't.

Well that's an interesting twist of plot! Coaches not wanting girls who can already win. ;)

In all seriousness, though, I did say, "I don't know" because I really don't. We (my daughter and I) haven't been in the game long enough to have broad knowledge of the NCAA recruiting game. My statements are based on theory at our gym and others where we have friends, age spreads of toughest competitors at optional meets and what I've read here pretty much.

I guess a lot of gyms aim high and hope that by doing so their athletes reach the top or somewhere close to it rather than aiming lower and falling even lower, if that makes sense? I see benefits and disadvantages of both approaches. It is good to know that the door is open for more athletes than just the ones with the highest achievements on paper, though, for sure!

That means my daughter stands a chance! :p

Well I hate to bring this post back to life again (really) but I am so proud of my dd. She was told she couldn't try out for team at her original gym but she didn't let it get her down. On the advice of many of you we switched gyms. At the new gym she simply worked hard and it paid off. Today she was invited to move up to train level 3! She is super excited and I am one proud mama. Thanks to all of you who guided me to help dd. Now let's hope this post gets laid to rest once and for all!

Well I hate to bring this post back to life again (really) but I am so proud of my dd. She was told she couldn't try out for team at her original gym but she didn't let it get her down. On the advice of many of you we switched gyms. At the new gym she simply worked hard and it paid off. Today she was invited to move up to train level 3! She is super excited and I am one proud mama. Thanks to all of you who guided me to help dd. Now let's hope this post gets laid to rest once and for all!
Way to go!!!

Exact same thing happened to my daughter. Was told we HAD to try out for team and then she didn't make it. We went to another gym and it has been an amazing experience. So glad we found the right fit!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back