Newbie...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

curefan85

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself since this will likely be the main forum I'm active in. Quick background: 24 year old female in Virginia, took gymnastics for a few months when I was maybe 12 (or so?), obviously didn't advance very far in such a short period of time but always remembered how much I enjoyed it! So, now, here I am...struggling to find hobbies and such and stumbled back into gymnastics after realizing a local gym offered adult classes. I'm so happy I did! I've only taken one class so far - but I thought we did quite a bit for "beginners" - rolls, cartwheels, roundoffs, handstands, some quasi-vaults...I'm glad I had the little background I did so I knew enough not to be completely lost!

The only downside was it's a rather large class and we didn't really get any individual instruction (which seems to be a common complaint here). Better than nothing though - I'd still happily pay to have an hour a week to play on the equipment! (also sad it's only an hour a week! - need to find some open gyms in the area!)

During the last 15 minutes or so we got to go off and do whatever we wanted - I gravitated to the bars because I remembered liking them as a kid. I was so proud - I was able to do a pullover on my first try (though much harder than I remembered them being!) and then I got my back hip circle on my first try, woo!! Though that's about all I could remember how to do (and probably all I had the strength for) - still I was pretty psyched!

What a fun time - ever since I have been reading as much as I can about adult gymnastics, and it was very encouraging to find this message board. So thanks for sharing everyone! I'm looking forward to class number two tomorrow! Hopefully I won't be quite as sore afterward this time, ha...

Hi curefan85!
Welcome! It sounds like you had a great class. Your enthusiasm will be much appreciated around here. Keep it coming! :)

Glad you got back into the swing of things, and better yet, that you are enjoying it!!! Yes, its surprising how things are harder as an adult then they were as a kid, huh? But of course, the vast majority of us are toting around a few extra inches and pounds now too:p Great that you had such an awesome first class, and hope it continues!

Hello and Welcome! Congrats on starting up again! It is great to see more and more adults interested in the sport! Keep us updated!

Aerialriver

Hi! Welcome! I'm also in Virginia, I wonder if we live close by :) Don't hesitate to ask any questions, there's so much great information on this board and so many helpful people!

~Katy

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! My second class went well, too, though I did manage to smack my stomach into the bar pretty hard during a failed attempt at a back hip circle...which I eventually got again but I can't get the front ones yet.

I'm sad I have to miss my class next week because of a work trip. :( I've also noticed doing gymnastics once a week has made me slack off on my running. It's easy to justify skipping that when I've been so sore...

Thanks! Of course I like The Cure - who doesn't?! What a great band...

Welcome! Bars are my favorite too :) I hope you are able to find more practice time soon--once a week, although a good start, is not enough to feed the addiction!

Excellent! Welcome! :) Hope you have fun! It's always easier revisiting stuff you did as a child as opposed to learning as an adult but that doesn't stop us from continuing! :) Keep going!

gymnastic adult

i found an adult class in wigan england on a friday night its ace welcome to the new breed of adult gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back