Nick Names for equipment

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
I know this is kindof random but the girls on my DD's team have a nickname for some of the balance beams at the gym and I was wondering if other gyms do the same for some of the equipment?

At her gym there is

"road beam" ( there is a wider beam with a broken line down the midde kindof like a road,

"mat beam" ( has mats all the way to the top on both sides),
and my favorite

"wobble beam" ( obviously not my DD's favorite because she thinks it wobbles and she can't do her cartwheel on this beam).

yes some of ours have names too - comp beam, back beam, middle beam, end beam. floor beam. The other two dont have a name :( Girls do get attached to one of them sometimes and cant do their skills on the others.

Uh, okay all you normal people. At one point my group (I would like to mention this was like a level 9/10 group, not little kids) straight up NAMED all the beams. With names. I can't remember them all but one was definitely "Bob." I liked one that no one else really liked.

we call them road beams too :D and we have a beam we calll medium beam, because we always keep it really low. and we have mats named big bertha and the other one is bob, and the tramp is named betty :D

We have panel mats that are different colors on every panel...we call them rainbow road

We call our back handspring trainer "pac-man" b/c it looks like the pac-man in video games

Our large incline mat is "the big cheese" so of course our small one is "the little cheese"

:D

my friend always sits on this one block after she takes her turn on bars. she calls it manny cuz the brand name is.. well i dont remember but its like man something... we call one of our mats the chunker cuz its really fat and the newest spring board is the good board

In used to refer to the beam as a "fourinchwidepieceofwoodcoveredinsandpaperedleather" said all in one breath really fast :)

And then there's the evil beam, which is evil because that's the one we were always on when we crotch the beam!

Uh, okay all you normal people. At one point my group (I would like to mention this was like a level 9/10 group, not little kids) straight up NAMED all the beams. With names. I can't remember them all but one was definitely "Bob." I liked one that no one else really liked.

Yes. This. I'm still sad that Wilma and Fred (the beam bath mats) ripped. My group (all optionals) also named the beams at my old gym, and one was the purple beam.

It was not purple.

We have one mat that we call the "weenie mat". The weenie mat is smaller than the others and old/flatish.

We have a "fat beam", "nisson beam", "SA beam", and the "blue beam". Some are named after their brands...but the fat beam is 6 inches wide and the blue beam's metal pole/support things are blue.

One set of our bars is the "optional bars" because they are wider, so mainly the optionals and the taller compulsery's use these bars :p

We have some pretty crazy names for some of the mats...but I am not going to list them :b

lol we just got a new landing mat and a new spotting box and we named them Molly and Bob.... We tried naming all the other bits and pieces around the gym but it got too hard!

Our girls have names for the beams too! I can't remember them off hand but I know for sure one is Crank!

We have a spotting box that is definitely a Bob. It is now going to be Bob haha.

haha! We must be a boring gym as nothing really has a name - just boring old:

end beam, middle beam and low beam

Red bars and black bars

Our big crash mats are called 'the fatty's' - I'll quite often ask my gymnasts to go and get a couple of fatty's (although maybe I shouldn't?!)

The vaulting table is often referred to as 'The big vault' as our gymnasts don't really start using it until they are 8 or 9. Every time my group used to go to vault, they'd ask me 'are we doing the big vault today?'

Perhaps we need to be more inventive!

we named all of our beams beamatrice, we named bars bart, our vault vaultery, and our floor flooria. we also have names for some mats, like the "sting" mat, the "cash" mat, the "panel" mat, the "challenger" and the "mini challenger." Its funny now that i think about what we call things in our gym, things like the sting and crash mat, that makes the gym's equipment sound very safe.... ha sarcasm.

we name everything in our gym, including the yoga balls and chalk bucketss :) . its a group effort and the entire gym does it. its actually very funn. we recently got our beams recovered ( 14 of them) and we went through all of them and gave them a new name and where they were originally from. some were from mexico, portoricco(sp?), australia, and every inbetween. haha during it our coaches were dieing on the floor laughing because we were fighting over where a beam was from. haha

We have a whale! It is a dark blue and don't think you could even call it a mat. Its like 2 1/2 feet long 1 3/4 feet wide and like a 1 1/2 feet thick.I'm not sure what the purpose of it even is, but if you tell the coaches you do feel good they will say "go get a jacket on and lay down on the whale for a little bit." Or if you had pracitce in the morining and then like a clinic an hour later some people will eat and snack and go take a nap on the whale.

WE have mini sting mats, floppy sting mat, and a good sting mat. We have one "good" beam that we got in December. There is the "hard" which is just a not soft or bounce high beam, the "round" beam which was recovered and is no longer square its round, the wobbly beam which you can feel the wood inside and you can feel it moving when you jump, and we have the scary/good/ripped beam, there is a hole in the cover of it and you can see inside, but it is soft and bouncy so people still like it.

Like someone else said we have the optional bar set which the optinals and only tall compulsaries use, and the mini bar set which everyone else and fastrack use. We also have the blue squirt bottle(cause the rim and stuff is blue) for bars that is the only bottle that actually squirts correctly. The other ones you have to squeeze and do wierd stuff to get water out. And then we have the broken and self made chalkbuckets. Everyone likes the broken chalk bucket because it turns and you don't have to wait in line to get chalk you just turn it when you need it. Then at meets we all get frustrated because your in a hurry and the bucjet doesnt move!!:mad:

Those are just some of the things at my gym. We don't really have names for stuff just like discriptions(sp?)

One of our vaults is named Pittabread because it goes into the pit :) Our coach always says "Go and work on pittabread" and it cracks us up! We have granny floor, our older floor area that has several rather groany areas when you land on them! One of our beams is....the bottombuster...when you train on it you are guaranteed to straddle it :) We have door bars, floor bars and gore bars...one set near the doors, one set next to floor and the other next to the medical room! We have two tumbletracks, one that is like a trampoline and one thats a long strip of sprung floor and we call them springy and mingy...have a guess as to which one we like the most :)

Gymnova beam is the thick squishy red one - although about half the beams are made by gymnova. There's also 2 squishy beams and 2 floor beams, which are all on the floor. Then we have grump beam, which is different to the others and no-one likes.
The mats have some strange names too. There are thin mats called splat pads! Then there is the red wall, a specific area of the gym. Except almost all of the wall is red, all the way round the gym.
We also have a fast track and a tumble track, but one of the coaches calls it a ski run.
I know lots of people that call wedge mats cheese mats, but to me a cheese roll is a cylindrical back handspring trainer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back